Do you charge a client for exporting a CAD dwg?

TennVol

If so, generally what/how do you charge? I see this as an extra service (therefore additional charge) and potentially giving away work product in a useable format, rather than PDF's or prints. The client in this case is the homeowner, not a contractor, so less of a possibility there, but still...   This particular client is an engineer so has ACAD and is wanting to do markups / reworks in that.  Hoo boy.

Thoughts?

Has he Paid for the Original Drawings ?  If he is the Engineer of Record for the Project , then I guess you may have too depending on what has been Promised , but it isn't exactly a lot of work to export a 3D model to DWG so what to Charge extra, if anything, is a tough one. Though I'd protect myself if there was money outstanding at this stage since as you say it is work product in a use-able format.

I suggest specifying within your contact what deliverables (prints, electronic media, etc.) are included, and which are an extra fee. If you charge by the hour, then I see no reason to charge for exporting CAD; but if you bill a flat rate or something similar, then I would charge a fixed fee. I assume your contract also has standard copyright language, and that your transmission of electronic media, whether by post or email, includes appropriate copyright language, use restrictions, disclaimers, etc..

Sometimes I'll give the client or builder a dwg but I have to be paid in full prior and I only give a conceptual plan with certain elevations. No construction plans, details or notes. I often don't charge but sometime times I do...just depending.