Obtaining work.

rockyshepheard

keep in mind exterior shots are the hardest to render efficiently. 

Almost all of my photo-realistic renderings are interior shots, because realistic exterior renderings are so time consuming.(they aren't worth the cost of making them look 100% real)

31 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Lumion is an impressive program.

It is , the images below where done by johnny from here on the Forum and are also very nice.

There are Cheaper Renders around like Blender and Indigo Render

( I think Thea may have stopped development? Rene would know he uses it (used it ?).

https://www.indigorenderer.com/indigo4

If like me you are limited to CA and PBR then the best thread to check out and make notes from is the Lets PBR one started by Graham (TheKitchenAdobe) who has shared his settings and discoveries through experimenting with Everyone here :

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16912-lets-pbr/?tab=comments#comment-142170

Chief made a Video using many of the settings found in Graham thread , which might be a good place to start at least , the tread has much more in depth material.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2426/physically-based-rendering-technique.html

another good thread is the PBR Goodies Thread started by Jintu:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16932-show-your-pbr-goodies/?tab=comments#comment-142321

sequoia_traditional_Lumion.jpg

madrona_Lumion.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have come across a similar situation, a company reached out wondering if I would want to simply render their projects because they liked the results they saw on my instagram and professional webpage.  Thing is I do full projects and have never been asked to do a per image type deal, therefore in the dark now, trying to research how much others charge.  I honestly wouldn't mind giving it a try, only issue it seems is they use 2020 software which from what I recently found out, can't really be imported into chief...therefore what was supposed to be simply import and render/pbr, becomes completely replicate and show a final result....trying to figure out what the amount would be that would satisfy my needs when it comes to time invested, vs leaving it all together and continuing to work with clients instead of another design firm.

7 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

I have come across a similar situation, a company reached out wondering if I would want to simply render their projects because they liked the results they saw on my instagram and professional webpage.  Thing is I do full projects and have never been asked to do a per image type deal, therefore in the dark now, trying to research how much others charge.  I honestly wouldn't mind giving it a try, only issue it seems is they use 2020 software which from what I recently found out, can't really be imported into chief...therefore what was supposed to be simply import and render/pbr, becomes completely replicate and show a final result....trying to figure out what the amount would be that would satisfy my needs when it comes to time invested, vs leaving it all together and continuing to work with clients instead of another design firm.

The way I deal with this type of situation is to have an initial setup fee and then a per render fee. The initial setup fee covers the time to build the model, say for a kitchen this might take 1-2 hours. Then the render fee kicks in, the thing to consider though are potential client requested changes, usually after they see the render they want to change things, another type of tile, different paint color or cabinet finish/style. You may need to have an hourly rate to handle this type of request.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

The way I deal with this type of situation is to have an initial setup fee and then a per render fee. The initial setup fee covers the time to build the model, say for a kitchen this might take 1-2 hours. Then the render fee kicks in, the thing to consider though are potential client requested changes, usually after they see the render they want to change things, another type of tile, different paint color or cabinet finish/style. You may need to have an hourly rate to handle this type of request.

As always thank you for the great advice!  As said, I'm only familiar with being hired for the full project and I charge a flat fee per sqm which covers my time well.  I will look into your approach, discuss with this design firm afterward, and see if my pricing for this new approach will satisfy their budget.  Again thank you for all the information!

1 minute ago, limitless8 said:

As always thank you for the great advice!  As said, I'm only familiar with being hired for the full project and I charge a flat fee per sqm which covers my time well.  I will look into your approach, discuss with this design firm afterward, and see if my pricing for this new approach will satisfy their budget.  Again thank you for all the information!

You are more than welcome. Just an additional note, there are times when I do this under a flat rate program, it depends upon my sense as to the clients needs and how many changes I believe they will want. A lot depends on how extensive a model they need and the degree of accuracy. Working on two right now where they want the entire home modeled in exacting detail so they can explore future remodeling ideas. In this case the project was broken down into several flat rate fee programs, this way they could control how far they wished to go as it was impossible to predict in advance the number of iterations needed before they settle down on a particular design.

I do very little work for firms, always client direct. The few times that I have been approached by a firm costs have been a real stumbling block, I find that many do not fully understand what is involved in the creation of a 3D model and they work/skill to generate decent renders. I think they watch too many demo vids and think it's a 5 minute job.

• Upvote 1