Wall Niche - Automatic Insertion Into Wall

Joe_Carrick

Joe, care to elaborate? I'll start with an ignorant guess that this is a 'window' symbol?

edit: just read the 'niche' post - now I understand your posting without much reference...

My question remains - will CA allow you to save this as a window symbol? I know, I should make one for myself and try it to see what happens... 

OK, I tried to replicate your niche - now I'm really curious since I obviously failed... care to share your secrets? Yeah, I know about the pass-through window with a polyline solid on the back, but it seems there is more than that going on in what you showed... 

Scott has it right.

The Niche is a Symbol made up of Solids - 1 box, 1 cylinder & 1 sphere.  The cylinder and sphere were subtracted from the box to create the niche seen in the lower right of the pic.  This was then converted to a Window Symbol (Pass-Thru which is something I hadn't realized before was an option in the Symbol dbx) and the y-origin adjusted to accommodate the depth of the symbol.  I placed Stretch Planes at y=1/2" & z=6".  I also set the 2D Block as "None".

I don't worry about the Plan View or the back of the Wall in most cases because I generally have these things in Walls where there's a void behind such as a plumbing chase, etc.  If I need to close the hole on the back side, I use a simple box converted to a symbol (12"x12"x1") as a "Drywall Patch".  I just have to inset it into the wall 1", stretch it to cover the hole and match whatever material the back of the wall consists of.  If I really want to get fancy, I can make another Symbol with a filled 2D Block to insert from the back side to make the Plan even more accurate.

The end result is a niche that looks good in both plan and in 3D.

Note:  The symbol I used in the example is fairly simple and is flush with the face of the wall.  It can be much more complex.  If anyone has one that they would like to have setup to work like this - just post it here and I'll have a go at it.  If there's a specific Wall Type you want to put it in with a back side Fill I can add that to the symbol as well.

Scott,

The 2D CAD Block can't be offset to match the 3D y-origin. CA messed this up in implementing the Projection Window Symbols in X6. I've reported this bug before, but it hasn't been fixed.

Remember the suggestion "Make 2D CAD Blocks match the 3D Symbol Offsets"?

You are probably right about the Vector View of the back side - editing would be required.