Blending Colors with Materials

pgjacob

Is there a way to control how much blending occurs when you blend a color with a material?  I am trying to replicate a stained pine tongue and groove ceiling, and when I blend with the material, the texture is still there, but the original color is replaced with the blend color selection.  I'd like to see some of the pine color coming through some as in pic.

thanks in advance

melissa

pine with stain.PNG

My plan is too big (50+MB zipped).  I have made a smaller test plan with the same example.  Applying a stain to a tongue and groove (all materials are in Chief catalogs). 

The 2 pics are from my plan, pine tongue and groove (I created in my user catalog) unstained and then stained with Quartersawn Oak Cobblestone.  I thought about trying to copy one of the Chief catalog stains and edit the transparency and then apply, but it still stained as full strength...

thanks

melissa

stain test.plan

stain.jpg

no stain.jpg

Tedd Wood Fine Cabinetry.

I would just like to apply the stain but allow some of the original pine (wood species) color come through a little.  Sort of like adjusting the transparency of just the stain as needed to get the desired look.

thanks

You really need to use Blend With Texture to paint the material with only 1 color the that gives you the result you want.

You could use the eye dropper (to select a screen color) from the color chooser or use the RGB values directly.

I am on a mac so things may be a bit different, but a similar method would apply.  

New Image_31.jpg

On the material property panel (in reference manual) "Diffuse controls the degree to which the material’s main color contributes to its appearance"

Diffuse is typically set to 100% so unlikely to help. 

Use a lighter color or a different base material. If you can't be what you want that way then it's photoshop time.