Quick and Easy Validator for Andersen 100 Fiberex Windows.

BrownTiger

The Andersen 100 Series windows [Fiberex] are always popular with a builders. Primarily, they offer different interior and exterior colors, not as ugly as some other Vinyl... Sometimes designer want to know if he is using standard vs custom sizes [adds +$$].

So here is a validator macro, that can be assigned as a label or just executed in the tmm

Andersen100Macro.thumb.PNG.f4ba6f5e4589385a6330eae7191139cb.PNG

Free Macro, enjoy

Code demonstrate use of Ruby arrays, and "any?" method.

BT

I also have A200,400, and pella.. But this will get you started if you are not 100% familiar with Ruby.

Andersen100Units.json

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

To get me started... what do you do with a json file to use it in CA?

If you're being serious, then you're going about this wrong.  That's a terrible place to start trying to learn how to use macros in my opinion.  I'd say the majority of people who take a stab at macros make little to no progress or ultimately fail because they take a poor approach...figuring it out on their own or trying to pick up one little tip at a time.  If you have 2 or 3 years and hundreds of hours to invest reinventing the wheel, by all means, go right ahead, otherwise, I strongly suggest you consider just investing in some one-on-one time with someone to show you the ropes.

Its really painful for me to watch some people try to learn one little tip at a time, spend hours experimenting, run into a road block, ask for another tip, spend a few more hours, run into another roadblock, pick up another tip...and I'm thinking to myself...I could have helped you sort those particular issues out in about 15 minutes.  And the thing is that there are forks in the road at every turn.  You have to learn how to use macros in Chief, you have to learn at least a little about Ruby, and most importantly, you have to learn how the 2 work together.  That's where the real challenge lies.  You can master Chief and you can master Ruby and you might still be completely lost when it comes to writing macros in Chief. 

No thanks, Michael.  I am still in recovery from autolisp... 

I want a CAD program to put out decent con docs that show the workers what needs to be done and to get the states permission to build it, without having to learn a foreign language.  I read topics like this one and wonder when will all the fragmented software programs we use to build a house work together seamlessly.

I like CA because my biggest problem building custom homes was getting the client to make their selection choices in a timely manner.

36 minutes ago, parkwest said:

No thanks, Michael.  I am still in recovery from autolisp... 

I'm curious why you asked the question then?  I see this happen all the time.  You guys ask us for tips and clarification, we give answers, that leads to more questions, we give more answers, and come to find out you have no real intention of actually seriously learning or using it...just playing around.  A little inconsiderate if you ask me, and a big reason why I've become a bit burned out donating my time here.   I don't care if you don't want to invest in hiring someone to help you, that's totally your prerogative.  I'm just suggesting that its the best way of making real progress.  If you decide to go it "on your own", then at least have the decency of not wasting people's time if your questions aren't sincere.  It can take a lot of time and energy to answer questions sometimes. 

23 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

Go to Text Macro Managment [TMM]  CAD> Text> Text Macro Management

Select Import/

I found it odd that settings in ChiefArchitect stored in .ini's, proprietary, xml and even json.

Thank you for your answer.  I didn’t find anything when I did a search in the knowledge base for json files.

• 1 month later...

In response to Alaskan_Son

who in part stated in a post below:

“If you decide to go it "on your own", then at least have the decency of not wasting people's time if your questions aren't sincere.  It can take a lot of time and energy to answer questions sometimes.”

First, let me start out by saying that I for one appreciate the many informative and well thought out posts you have written. Like the contributions of many other regular members here, they provide valuable information and insight to users of this forum. A forum in which all registers members can post their thoughts and read others free of charge or obligation.  

Michael you are a member who openly incorporates (advertises) your commercial connections to Chief in every post. You go so far as providing a link to your Paypal account.  As far as I can tell, no one is holding a gun to your head compelling you to respond with detailed solutions to members’ problems. One fact that is clear Michael, your posts providing information, tips and solutions showcase your Chief skills and therefore are in very real sense, blatant forms of advertising for your services. You are certainly “giving” something to the forums, but you are also “getting” something in return every single time you provide information, tips, or direct solutions. I humbly suggest that your righteous indignation on display here is, to say the least, grossly overstated.……

• Downvote 2

14 hours ago, DanDearborn said:

Michael you are a member who openly incorporates (advertises) your commercial connections to Chief in every post. You go so far as providing a link to your Paypal account.

I put that link down in my signature during a time when I was providing a notable amount of free macros, training videos, custom symbols, etc. as a way providing a convenient way for people to support my efforts should they choose to do so and if they wanted to continue to see more of that type of thing, as well as an easy way of knowing how they could make payments for the items I had listed for sale.  I have since changed course a bit with those various offerings but just never adjusted my signature to remove the link since it still comes in handy from time to time.  I have no problem removing it though since it seems to be at least partially disqualifying me from having an opinion on what constitutes proper appreciation for a persons time. 

I get the feeling that you don't have the slightest clue or appreciation for the quantity of time and energy some people pour into helping out on the forum.  My statements above were just an honest and straightforward statement about the way I feel after having done so for a number of years, and I should be free to share it. 

You're right.  No one is pointing a gun at my head but that shouldn't be a pre-requisite for the right to a personal opinion on the matter.  And my personal opinion is that people want/need help...and some of us spend a lot to give it.  Its not very considerate of somebody to ask for somebody else to take that time out of their day to describe how something works if they actually don't have any real intention of doing anything with it.  That was my point. 

And with regard to the rest of my post, I was just offering my personal, professional, and experienced opinion on the matter...I'm not looking for a job, and in fact, I barely have time to help people with private sessions much of the time anyway.  I just know that almost nobody ever makes any real progress in certain areas by fishing for little tips on the forum. 

Take my opinion or leave it, I really don't care, but I see it play out all the time.  If I could help solve your problems with a few little tips, I would, but certain things take a lot more than that, and I'm just trying to paint that picture clearly and honestly for people.  Its just become exceedingly clear to me after watching a lot of forum users here make almost no progress year after year after year and then seeing how much progress other people make using more appropriate learning methods in a very short time span, that there is a better way.  I feel like NOT saying things sometimes is actually doing a disservice.  It may not be what people want to hear, but sometimes "free" is a lot more expensive.  In fact, I don't even care if its me that people go to for proper tutelage, and I tell that to people all the time.  I even point out many of the free resources we have at our disposal. The real point is that there are better ways to learn certain things and if someone has the real intent to learn something I want to share with them how they should really be going about doing that.

14 hours ago, DanDearborn said:

I humbly suggest that your righteous indignation on display here is, to say the least, grossly overstated.……

I'm sorry you feel that way.  Nobody is pointing a gun at your head either.  You can feel free to ignore me in your preferences or just not read my posts, but I'd much rather tell people what they need to hear than what they want to hear.  Again, take it or leave it.  I apologize if my opinion offends you, but I'm not sorry for what I said.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2018 at 11:09 PM, BrownTiger said:

The Andersen 100 Series windows [Fiberex] are always popular with a builders. Primarily, they offer different interior and exterior colors, not as ugly as some other Vinyl... Sometimes designer want to know if he is using standard vs custom sizes [adds +$$].

So here is a validator macro, that can be assigned as a label or just executed in the tmm

Andersen100Macro.thumb.PNG.f4ba6f5e4589385a6330eae7191139cb.PNG

Free Macro, enjoy

Code demonstrate use of Ruby arrays, and "any?" method.

BT

I also have A200,400, and pella.. But this will get you started if you are not 100% familiar with Ruby.

Andersen100Units.json

And Back ON TOPIC :)

Thanks BT appreciate you letting us have a look at stuff like this , may be handy as I have a Client considering Andersen Fiberex at the moment.

M.

• Upvote 1

You are welcome. 

I posted these maros as an example. Feel free to roll your own for other types of windows.

This examples shows use of Ruby programming macros: initialization of a string array (%w) and command such as delete, any? etc.

Ruby is not the most intuitive language.. so...

18 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

Ruby is not the most intuitive language.. so...

Now there's an understatement :)  be easier to use in Chief if you didn't need to know 3 different method of using the same macro in different places ( it seems to me)

Ruby is a “dynamic, open source programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write.”  Matz

Really? Natural to read and write?

user_ids = users.map(&:id)

z=[1, 2, 3].map { |element| element if element.even? } .compact

z=[1, 2, 3].each{|x|}

unless !me.here && !you.there ?

i += 1 else i-=1

end.collect

But when I do some complex blocks, mix-ins, some odd rails stuff - my brains literally ceasing to function...

Never happend to me with any other language. PPL see me walking loops, asking oh that is that rails stuff right?