X10 error message on camera views and default setting changes

TennVol

New installation of X10 and I am getting the following message on a camera or elevation view or making some default setting changes on walls and windows: 

Assertion failed: A serious error occurred. Do not save the file in its current state. If you want to try saving your work, use Save As to create a new file. Please restart the program and contact Technical Support.

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\20\chief\source\ChiefQtApplication.cpp(238): Error #272000999

"A serious error occurred. Do not save the file in its current state. If you want to try saving your work, use Save As to create a new file. Please restart the program and contact Technical Support."

12/27/2018 8:10:43 PM

Build: 20.3.0.54x64

Not importing a plan or anything, just starting from scratch on a new install.  Tried doing a save as and restart as the message says, but same problem. 

I then tried doing a repair install to no avail. same message.  Completely uninstalled and reinstalled (after shut down and re-start) and still same error message.  Dang...  

Anybody else experience something like this?  Guess I'll chat with CA support tomorrow if possible. 

There were issues, IIRC earlier in the year when x10 came out with older ATI Cards. Not sure if that was resolved or not but they recommend 4GB of VRAM now ,with 1GB the minimum, so you maybe on the minimum threshold as far as that is concerned, the Render TAB in Prefs. should give you that info.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

It appears to have something to do with the video card. Tried updating to the latest driver but still the same problem. Last updates for my card were in 2012 though. Tried the fixes suggested in Dermot's note (thanks BTW for replying that late last night), again with no success. I checked video card information from within X10, and it meets the minimum requirements. I tried calling chief technical support, but remained on hold for quite a while. They're probably closed this week, so I'll try again next week I guess.

Dermot - if you see this, is there a list of video cards X10 either does or doesn't play nice with? May have to pick up a newer PC, but will likely be a refurbished one that will still be Windows 7 due to some legacy programs I need to use in other applications.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, TennVol said:

It appears to have something to do with the video card. Tried updating to the latest driver but still the same problem. Last updates for my card were in 2012 though. Tried the fixes suggested in Dermot's note (thanks BTW for replying that late last night), again with no success. I checked video card information from within X10, and it meets the minimum requirements. I tried calling chief technical support, but remained on hold for quite a while. They're probably closed this week, so I'll try again next week I guess.

Dermot - if you see this, is there a list of video cards X10 either does or doesn't play nice with? May have to pick up a newer PC, but will likely be a refurbished one that will still be Windows 7 due to some legacy programs I need to use in other applications.

Thanks.

Are you talking about another Laptop,  or a Desktop ?   the recommendation is to get something with a gaming series Nvidia Graphics card, it is actually a fairly good time if you have to buy as prices have come down alot in the last year especially for Graphics cards. Anything in the 9 , 10 or 20 series would be best.

Even if you got a new computer (boxing day sales) it should be capable of running Win7 too and perhaps even be able to use the same Win7 license , (assuming you are going to continue to use Win7 on the old one). Are you sure your old software needs Win7?

M.

14 hours ago, TennVol said:

I'd be looking for a laptop, I'll keep the Nvidia info in mind. Thanks.

On a Laptop, I have used X10 on a 1050Ti and a 1060 , both had acceptable performance to me , if looking at older laptops perhaps a 970 or GTX 980 , on a desktop I briefly used a 950 while waiting for my 1070Ti to comeback from RMA too and it was usable, I just didn't open extra 3D Windows on other monitors.

Spoke with Michael at CA support.  He is recommending something with a video card 2016 or newer. AMD's seem to be universally good, NVidia's had a problem with Sept-Dec 2017 drivers.  The May 17 drivers work ok, along with Jan 2018 or newer. YMMV.  Short answer is my current PC ain't gonna cut it. Pretty nice guy and kudos for working on New Years eve. I did strongly recommend though that Chief needs to add a blurb on their System Requirements page to let folks know they need to have something 2016 or newer to run X10.  Mine met the minimum requirements on that page but no joy.

Soooo....found a pretty decent (Amazon reseller) refurbished HP Envy 17M Laptop - 17.3" TouchScreen (1920x1080), 8th Gen Quad-Core i7, 16GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA MX150 video card (4GB), The video card is supposed to be equivalent to the GT1030. The reviews are almost universally very good on this PC. I should have it here Thursday. It's Windows 10, but I will keep old pc for Win7 applications. Thanks for all the help/recommendations.  Happy 2019!

1 hour ago, TennVol said:

Spoke with Michael at CA support.  He is recommending something with a video card 2016 or newer. AMD's seem to be universally good, NVidia's had a problem with Sept-Dec 2017 drivers.  The May 17 drivers work ok, along with Jan 2018 or newer. YMMV.  Short answer is my current PC ain't gonna cut it. Pretty nice guy and kudos for working on New Years eve. I did strongly recommend though that Chief needs to add a blurb on their System Requirements page to let folks know they need to have something 2016 or newer to run X10.  Mine met the minimum requirements on that page but no joy.

Soooo....found a pretty decent (Amazon reseller) refurbished HP Envy 17M Laptop - 17.3" TouchScreen (1920x1080), 8th Gen Quad-Core i7, 16GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA MX150 video card (4GB), The video card is supposed to be equivalent to the GT1030. The reviews are almost universally very good on this PC. I should have it here Thursday. It's Windows 10, but I will keep old pc for Win7 applications. Thanks for all the help/recommendations.  Happy 2019!

You may want to ask the reseller about a SSD for the new PC or add your own , it will make a difference , especially with Undo in CA. The Samsung SATA 850 or 860 Evo drives are very good and at decent prices these days, if the laptop only has one bay for a HDD the get a 500GB model at least. If the Laptop will take a NVME SSD even better as it is 4 x faster than a SATA SSD , the samsung 960 or 970 work great too.

M.

12 hours ago, TennVol said:

Thanks for the info, I may look into an SSD down the road, I'm kinda wiped out discretionary cash-wise right now.  Wasn't figuring on the upgrade AND a new 'puter.  :blink:

Understandable especially at this time of year , just know there are some good sales on at the moment , though I an not sure of the exact model you are getting , maybe it has one? I was just going by the 1TB HDD you noted. Some models come with an SSD or NVME SSD , so laptops come with both a SSD for speed and a HDD for Data storage,,,typically a 1TB HDD.

Got the new PC and first thing I did was load X10.  Works great. ....and I got an ad from Tiger Direct this afternoon for a 1TB SDD (Samsung) for 150.  May have to cash in some bottles to make that happen!  :-)  Thanks again for all the info and recommendations.  Great group here.

2 hours ago, TennVol said:

Got the new PC and first thing I did was load X10.  Works great. ....and I got an ad from Tiger Direct this afternoon for a 1TB SDD (Samsung) for 150.  May have to cash in some bottles to make that happen!  :-)  Thanks again for all the info and recommendations.  Great group here.

Good news on the PC , and I believe $150 is a pretty good price for a 1TB Samsungbut check around eg newegg and amazon as prices on SSDs have dropped alot in the last 2-3 months

19 hours ago, TennVol said:

Hi TV , not sure if you new laptop has Nvidia Optimus but make sure to set OpenGL to the Nvidia Card in the NV Control Panel , you can aslo add CA to the Program Tab and set further Options there too.

here is more info on Optimus too :

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/17190-inserting-object-from-library-browser-freezes-most-of-the-app/?tab=comments#comment-144430

Tried to change 3D settings on Nvidia control panel but keep getting a message saying "access denied, failed to apply selected settings to your system".  Just about everything is on "auto select".  I definitely want to change it because camera views are taking minutes instead of seconds to display. Seems like 3D camera views take longer than elevation views. 

UPDATE - I exited Chief and restarted after posting the above and the camera views seem to be working ok now.  Not sure, after the access denied messages,how the revised Nvidia settings took effect, but it seems they did.  Go figure.  

I have never seen or heard of an access denied error from the NV Control Panel , which Nvida driver Version are you on currently? I have had some bad interaction between the Intel iGPU Drivers and the dedicated NV GPU Drivers though. the latest are 417.35 , the notebook version is here :

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/141171

It sounds like it was using the intel iGPU for 3D previously ...which is why I recommended you set the OpenGL which Chief 3D uses to the Nvidia Card.

Unlike games it seems the NV Driver does not recognise CA as a 3D App and doesn't switch to the more powerful card. It will use the intel card for 2d like the plan views to save battery unless you set the Preferred Card to the Nvidia card for full time use , will use more battery though but not a big deal if always plugged in on your Desk.

image.thumb.png.6cc132a7a28ce286eef6874b95a2ee20.png  image.thumb.png.2ccaa8cb2a207052b16cb401a7c36fd2.png

That's what I was getting at - when I tried to set the Nvidia options, including the OpenGL setting, I got that access denied message. My driver version is 398.36 and the Nvidia control panel version is 81.940.0. 

Thanks for the link, may give that a shot.  Although it's working now, so not sure I want to poke the bear  :-)

That's surprising , Win 10 will normally try and update your Drivers along with Win10 itself., can't remember if it was 398.36 or 398.98 that had some issue for me though.

391.24 was a good driver for me too  and 399.24 too........   https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/137729

I am using 417.35 on my desktop though.