3D viewer Seeing Double

Allen_Brown

I picked up one of those cardboard viewers.  I exported a 360 panoramic view, and loaded it on the cloud. On my phone (Samsung S9+), I log into my Chief account, find the file, open it, click on the viewer icon so I have the split screen, drop my phone in the box and press my face up against it.

When I look into it, I see a definite double image. Each picture is off center about 50% from the other one. I called tech support, and the only suggestion he gave me was to buy a better quality viewer.

Anybody else get this?  Anybody else get this feature to work?

360 kitchen.jpg

4 hours ago, Allen_Brown said:

When I look into it, I see a definite double image. Each picture is off center about 50% from the other one. I called tech support, and the only suggestion he gave me was to buy a better quality viewer.

I have not used the system but thought that was how it was supposed to work.  A 3D image generated by two slightly offset images that can be view independently by each eye and the brain puts it together as 3D.  Stereoscopy is an old technology revived recently in the digital age.

28 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I have not used the system but thought that was how it was supposed to work.  A 3D image generated by two slightly offset images that can be view independently by each eye and the brain puts it together as 3D.  Stereoscopy is an old technology revived recently in the digital age.

That is my understanding too, I assumed though, while viewing he was still seeing the two images?  hopefully it isn't a "brain" issue :) , the image above certainly looks wrong with all the curves in the flooring etc , of course I am assuming a "square" room to start. Perhaps the 360 Pano is messed up, not the camera?

How large is the file?  Do you have the ability to publicly post it or share a downloadable link?  I too have an S9+, and have a nice viewer that I would try it on.  My experience with cardboard was poor because I have a melon sized head and naturally poor eyesight, but S9+ does well with the drone FPV viewer.

I now see that the original image is the exported file.  I'll look at it tonight in my goggles.

EDIT: I am for some reason unable to log in to my CA account through the viewer, even though it is logged in on the actual phone.  Even when I put it in my dropbox file, and log in through the app, the CA account pops up with a browser error message.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, Chopsaw said:

Sure, but not separated to the point that it possibly come together.  I think my phone is too big.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:07 PM, Kbird1 said:

That is my understanding too, I assumed though, while viewing he was still seeing the two images?  hopefully it isn't a "brain" issue :) , the image above certainly looks wrong with all the curves in the flooring etc , of course I am assuming a "square" room to start. Perhaps the 360 Pano is messed up, not the camera?

That's exactly how an exported 360º panorama picture should look like.

19 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

How large is the file?  Do you have the ability to publicly post it or share a downloadable link?  I too have an S9+, and have a nice viewer that I would try it on.  My experience with cardboard was poor because I have a melon sized head and naturally poor eyesight, but S9+ does well with the drone FPV viewer.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Hey folks.  I did get an opportunity to check out the sample files with the CA 360 app on the S9.  Was never able to login in and view the files I exported to the cloud, but the sample ones worked great.  Allen, I'd say the pupillary distance in the non adjustable google cardboard is the issue.  That is an adjustable setting on my goggles and when I purposely take it out of adjustment it does just what you described in your original post.  It's difficult for me to use long term as my eyes do not have the same prescription and it makes me dizzy after more than a couple minutes.

The generated files are reasonably sized (<1MB for mine, low on features though).  If you're looking to use the feature going forward, I would invest in a good pair of goggles.  As an FYI, having experimented with some high def 3D environment scenes in "VR" goggles last year, its pretty neat. 

EDIT: my S9+ has a bulky case that the goggles squished pretty well, but no issues properly fitting it.