Lawns

rockyshepheard

I have a 3D lawn attached. It opens and modifies slowly. It takes about 20 seconds on my machine to open, modify or close.

The end product is way nicer than CA terrain using the maps I've tried but is there a compromise between quality and speed that would give a similar appearance?

This post might be more for the artistically inclined CA user.

3d_grass_2.plan

4 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

I have a 3D lawn attached. It opens and modifies slowly. It takes about 20 seconds on my machine to open, modify or close.

The end product is way nicer than CA terrain using the maps I've tried but is there a compromise between quality and speed that would give a similar appearance?

3d_grass_2.plan

The plan is even slower on my system R.  but I believe it is because your symbol is causing Chief to have to draw Thousands and thousands of lines even in 2D ......

your lawn zoomed in......

image.thumb.png.dffd7f31899f640e64c9269fd22fea61.png

PS your system specs don't make sense to me.......ie 8GB DDR 3 or 64 GB DDR4?   I am assuming the 8 GB DDR3 was your old system?

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Thousands and thousands of lines even in 2D ......

Probably hundreds of thousands...or millions even.  There are something like 17 million faces being generated by just those grass symbols, and they actually look kinds crappy to me.  Sure the grass itself looks realistic, but added together and tiled like they are kinda defeats the purpose IMO.  If a person wants realistic grass and can't get what they want using bump/normal maps then they should be using a different software for their rendering.

10 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

The grass is a 3D model. A material is a lot faster but doesn't look good.

Possibly, once an export view is determined one could turn off all layers but the terrain and make a material out of the 3D grass model and apply it to the terrain. I think I'll try that.

20,000 faces per patch of lawn, no way chief can handle that...are you looking to produce a render? consider using methods laid out here: 

This method is how I do grass in renders such as this:

1246892840_BackyardViewFINAL.thumb.png.0361b1c9e33844557404da59b3ac5599.png

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

You want seamless textures. Google it, you can get anything you want free, just have to register with one of the libraries.

Seamless textures look much better than many of the tiled OOB chief textures. Mainly I use them for shingles, brick, stone, and grass. IMO those are the worst offenders for making a render look unrealistic.

There are plenty of awesome seamless grass textures that will eliminate your need to create 3D grass.

EDIT: Or the post-render Photoshop grass as Rene describes above. But seamless textures look good and you don't have to go to another program.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

Rene rabbit how did you achieve the shadow on the roof?

sorry for the late response, that didn't tag my name unfortunately.

I was using a separate software for rendering. The shadow is from the trees behind the camera with an spherical HDR image lighting the scene.