Happy Holidays combined with a question

rockyshepheard

Happy Holidays to all CA forum members.

Not sure if a personal msg is allowed on this forum so I will throw in a quick question.

Quick Question:

All roof planes are either over the wall or internal to the wall. 

All roof planes can be modified in terms of things like baseline, fascia ridge and pitch.

A plane inside a wall does not show a fascia but is it still related to a fascia wrt height modifier?

And if an internal plane has say... six sides, how do you tell which side relates to the modifiers?

Rocky

Merry Christmas!.jpg

Hi R. , read the section in the Manual about  "THE BASELINE" again ...... (pages 789-790 Ref. Manual X10)

if there is no wall whether internal or external the Baseline is set to the current Floor's default height OR the top of the Roof Plane below it , in which case you may get a DBX asking which to use.

try drawing a Roof Plane only in a New plan and check it out ,cut a cross section through the roof plane and you should see the Fascia is there, it will always be opposite the Baseline Tick mark , while the Ridge will be the edge the Tick is pointing towards.  To see the Baseline and it's tick you will need to enable the Baselines Display if not already on by Default.

Yes thanks, I've seen that. But to my question, why don't you see fascia on roof planes that are internal to the other (planes whose baseline is on the outside edge of the wall.

My guess is you cannot have a fascia with shingle on both sides of the fascia. CA just deletes the fascia for those planes internal to those which do have a fascia. Yet, on those for which CA deleted the fascia, there still exist a modifier for fascia height. Does it really mean the height of the edge where a fascia would have been had the plane been the outer most plane?

1 hour ago, rockyshepheard said:

Yes thanks, I've seen that. But to my question, why don't you see fascia on roof planes that are internal to the other (planes whose baseline is on the outside edge of the wall.

My guess is you cannot have a fascia with shingle on both sides of the fascia. CA just deletes the fascia for those planes internal to those which do have a fascia. Yet, on those for which CA deleted the fascia, there still exist a modifier for fascia height. Does it really mean the height of the edge where a fascia would have been had the plane been the outer most plane?

Post the Plan.....

This is a simplified example. Assume a complex roof has about six free floating planes and this is one of them.
How do I know which side is the ridge and which is the fascia? There is no fascia on any side.

If I modify the fascia height up or down, I have not idea how it will react. Is it trial and error? 

fascia.plan

fascia.plan

Not sure I have seen a Roof Plane quite like the one in the Test plan , but the reason there is no Fascia is that the bottom edge of the Roof Plane is not Perpendicular to the slope of the Roof (parallel to the Baseline) and when this is true, CA adds/builds a ledger/header instead as it assumes some kind of header is needed to join to the Header/ledger/ridge (whichever) of the Roof plane below it instead. Pull the bottom edge of the roof plane around to 90° to the Slope and rebuild the Framing and you will now see the fascia is there instead in a Section view thru the Roof plane, below and even a Gutter.

The easiest way to tell where the fascia is, since there appears to be no baseline, ( it's there see post below)  is to Turn on the Roof Plane Label and the Roof Slope Arrow will point at the Fascia Roof edge. The other way, if you aren't sure is to open an Overview Camera and go split vertical Screen, so you can see what's going on when manipulating the 2D Roof Plane Polylines, in 3D too.

In some cases you will also see a Gutter if the bottom edge is perpendicular to the roof slope ( parallel to the baseline) too as mentioned, if Gutters are on, in the Options Tab of the Build Roof DBX.

image.thumb.png.aa5e536c91f7976bc26450cb2fd022e8.pngimage.thumb.png.34e7da491cf16294e95c7587394babd7.png