Sending details and notes to a layout page

capitaldesigns

15 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Unless I have misunderstood, Brian and Richard are talking about copying a "Cad Detail".  Michael and others are talking about copying a "Layout Box".  These are not doing the same thing.

I am talking about copying a layout box that has a CAD Detail in it. (i.e. Open a CAD Detail, send to Layout.) Copying a layout box which was sent from a CAD Detail produces inconsistent results. The copy is labeled correctly, has the correct scale, but is sometimes blank, sometimes just a very different origin from the original detail. Copying a layout box that has a floor plan seems to work fine.

3 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

The copy is labeled correctly, has the correct scale, but is sometimes blank, sometimes just a very different origin from the original detail.

I have yet to experience anything like this.  I'm curious...How exactly are you copying and pasting?

3 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Ummm.... Select Layout Box, Ctrl-C, switch to other layout, Ctrl-V.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending.  Just wanted to see if there was some unexpected step in your process that might be causing your problems.  That is usually the case when one person seems to be having problems that others don't seem to be having. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending.  Just wanted to see if there was some unexpected step in your process that might be causing your problems.  That is usually the case when one person seems to be having problems that others don't seem to be having. 

Probably not it but are the cad details that you are copying the layout by chance pdf referenced details and not drawn details?  Maybe might cause the issue???

11 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Probably not it but are the cad details that you are copying the layout by chance pdf referenced details and not drawn details?  Maybe might cause the issue???

I pretty much never use PDF's for anything other than temporarily as a reference.  I prefer to draw/type that stuff up myself.  All my use case scenarios as referenced in the latter parts of this thread are CAD Details located in a Plan file that have been sent to a Layout file by opening the CAD Detail and using Send To Layout.  I then copy that Layout Box from that layout using Control+C and paste into a second open Layout using Control + V or Control+Alt+V and all works great.  Richard seems to be having a different experience. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I pretty much never use PDF's for anything other than temporarily as a reference.  I prefer to draw/type that stuff up myself.  All my use case scenarios as referenced in the latter parts of this thread are CAD Details located in a Plan file that have been sent to a Layout file by opening the CAD Detail and using Send To Layout.  I then copy that Layout Box from that layout using Control+C and paste into a second open Layout using Control + V or Control+Alt+V and all works great.  Richard seems to be having a different experience. 

The reason I asked is I thought it was richard that mentioned in another post that he uses some cad details that have some pdf referenced cad details among his drawn cad details...

13 hours ago, rgardner said:

The reason I asked is I thought it was richard that mentioned in another post that he uses some cad details that have some pdf referenced cad details among his drawn cad details...

Nope. Must have been someone else.:) However, the ability to store PDFs in the user library would be a good addition. 

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Nope. Must have been someone else.:) However, the ability to store PDFs in the user library would be a good addition. 

I have a cad detail that has mixed drawing and pdf (portal frame detail from Simpson) that I use.

but sorry my only thought why it might not have been working.  Granted I haven’t done it lots but the times I have so far including testing it after this was mentioned was successful as Michael mentioned. 

Trying to remember the up and down sides of the .plan and .layout 'warehouse' templates and years tried the 'Save As Method' which would, in theory, rename and save all of your changes to details etc. for the next plan but I could never get it to work real world.

I was always working on 4 or 5 plans and the Save As Method just got too confusing for me. As a possible relevant note to the OP and the suggestion of a .plan and .layout template for details it seems that (as mentioned here already) any changes to the .plan file will effect all associations of that .plan file and all of its links. If that .plan is 'saved as' in the job folder then it would be and remain unique to that job. The down side is that the template .plan and .layout files would not be universally updated so they both should be pretty comprehensive to begin with or manually updated as the detail library grows.

There's a learning curve and some complexities as there always is but anything short of a unique .plan and perhaps a unique .layout for each job I think would cause problems in the long run.

It's been many years since adopting my current, awkward as best, system of a default .plan template with lots of details spread through a couple different floors but am curious about what others end up using and if the additional Layout option truly creates an easier way to organize details.

15 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

If that .plan is 'saved as' in the job folder then it would be and remain unique to that job.

For my purposes, I would only have ONE details.plan.  If I need to revise a detail for a specific job, I would copy just that detail and create a new detail by pasting it into project.plan  Unless it was a universal change. Once a detail is done in The Warehouse, it's done.

18 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I was always working on 4 or 5 plans and the Save As Method just got too confusing for me

I have wasted so much time myself using the save as method, that I had NO consistency and different parts, pieces, layer sets all over the place.

I am slowly remedying this.  I have created a wjm-template.plan where I spent a week cleaning it up, creating my layer and anno sets and setting defaults. I have exported layer sets and anno sets.  Each job I have active I am importing all that and defaults and hopefully it matches my template.  On occasion, it may take a bit of time to tweak a few things.  Hopefully, my active plan now matches my template.  To keep my current template accurate and up to date as I come across issues, I will either import the days settings back into the master template or for small changes, I keep it open in the background to change minor things quickly.

When I say template, it is not an actual template, just a .plan file.  This process will probably take some time, but I am finally having some consistency and letting Chief do more of the work.

49 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

For my purposes, I would only have ONE details.plan.  If I need to revise a detail for a specific job, I would copy just that detail and create a new detail by pasting it into project.plan  Unless it was a universal change. Once a detail is done in The Warehouse, it's done.

I have wasted so much time myself using the save as method, that I had NO consistency and different parts, pieces, layer sets all over the place.

I am slowly remedying this.  I have created a wjm-template.plan where I spent a week cleaning it up, creating my layer and anno sets and setting defaults. I have exported layer sets and anno sets.  Each job I have active I am importing all that and defaults and hopefully it matches my template.  On occasion, it may take a bit of time to tweak a few things.  Hopefully, my active plan now matches my template.  To keep my current template accurate and up to date as I come across issues, I will either import the days settings back into the master template or for small changes, I keep it open in the background to change minor things quickly.

When I say template, it is not an actual template, just a .plan file.  This process will probably take some time, but I am finally having some consistency and letting Chief do more of the work.

Yeah, these 'systems' if you will become very personal, designed and implemented around each person's work flow. Mine has grown and gotten pretty ugly but I'm used to the ugly and it works for me. Will follow this thread though and see it something more efficient pops up.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

Movie for how I arrange my detail warehouse.

Exactly how I am setting mine up.  Thanks for showing me I am not wasting my time!

Because I worked so long on the board, I do not come across many times when I would want to change scale, so that part is not applicable to me for details, however, I use the same process to do enlarged plans and key plans.  I know from years and years that I am going to do a wall section at a 1/2", eave or foundation detail usually at 3/4", trim detail at 1 1/2" or 3".  

4 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

Movie on how to create the detail with automatically resized text.

https://youtu.be/VqK004LwYwY

Ed,

You might not be aware that you can set your text with leader to input standard text by going to Preferences>Text and unchecking Rich Text. Also, you can select all leader arrow lines at once by selecting "text line with arrow" and group selecting. I would love to see arrows added to defaults and have suggested this, but sometimes it takes a few years. :(

33 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I would love to see arrows added to defaults

We already have arrows in defaults.  The thing I assume you're wanting is the ability to set arrow style to be controlled by layer settings somehow...i.e. change layer set and arrows change to suit.  Is that correct?

37 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

We already have arrows in defaults.  The thing I assume you're wanting is the ability to set arrow style to be controlled by layer settings somehow...i.e. change layer set and arrows change to suit.  Is that correct?

Yes, I really should have stated a by-layer arrow style.

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That would be nice.

6 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Ed,

You might not be aware that you can set your text with leader to input standard text by going to Preferences>Text and unchecking Rich Text. Also, you can select all leader arrow lines at once by selecting "text line with arrow" and group selecting. I would love to see arrows added to defaults and have suggested this, but sometimes it takes a few years. :(

Yes, I know. But I use the leaders with Rich Text within our plans, more than I need them in details. I'd rather not confuse my employees with changing that preferences setting back and forth. Sadly, it takes 2 years to get decent competence with these drafting programs, on top of the standard Architectural training I give these kids. College teaches them nothing useful, except how to be the next Richard Meir, Loui Khan, or Frank Gehry.