Sending details and notes to a layout page

capitaldesigns

It was suggested that I create a warehouse plan for my typical details and notes. I recently created a couple of warehouse plans. One with residential notes and one with foundation details.

The question I have is how do I send just one detail to the layout page without sending the entire warehouse plan that holds over 20 details ? When I used the Send to Layout tool and selected

the Current Screen under the Send Options the entire warehouse plan is sent to the layout page. I zoomed into the detail I wanted to send where no other details were visible on the screen before

sending it to the layout page. It does show up on the layout page as the zoomed into detail I send. When I click on the detail and drag of the edit handles the rest of the details from the warehouse plan become visible. 

Is there a way to send only one details from a warehouse plan without sending the entire plan ?

Thanks, Mike

MANY MANY MANY methods but here are just a few (specifically using the warehouse plan method):

• Simply crop your layout box
  • Use separate CAD Details (Project Browser) in the warehouse plan.  One detail per CAD Detail.  This way you can send one detail at a time.
  • Use multiple floors in your warehouse plan
  • Using multiple layer sets in your warehouse plan (one layer set per CAD Detail with all details on unique layers)

16 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Use separate CAD Details (Project Browser) in the warehouse plan.  One detail per CAD Detail.  This way you can send one detail at a time.

this works , just remember to Update the CAD Detail if you ever update the Detail in Plan View...as CAD Details are not "live" they are just "snapshots" of that moment in time.

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2018 at 11:09 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Use multiple floors in your warehouse plan

Now, this is brilliant.  Create a "Saved Plan View" for foundation details, wall details, etc, and put different category details on different floors....

....  My current warehouse details are a Nightmare!

My recommendation is to use separate Cad Details, one for each static view that you want to send to layout.  Using one Cad Detail with everything in it and then cropping your layout view to show just a small part of the whole thing is probably the least efficient way to work and may really slow down your layout.

If you need live views, you should be working in either plans and elevations and use layer sets to control what displays in the layout.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:51 PM, capitaldesigns said:

Is there a way to send only one details from a warehouse plan without sending the entire plan ?

Thanks, Mike

To answer your question more directly, no, there is no way to send a single detail from a 'warehouse' plan file. This is the method I use which I started many years ago. It works but it's awkward at best. You can use a plan view and send current screen but again pretty awkward. Just never changed my methods as most of my details are provided by my structural engineer.

In X12 there's the ability now to open more than one Layout (which was always there with a work around) Details can be 'warehoused' on that layout and sent as a CAD detail per plan. Never tried it and the smart guys will be able to describe the process. Might be a decent alternative?

13 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

Can you further explain that?  Where do these individual details go.....?

Into CAD Details

On 12/22/2018 at 7:09 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Use separate CAD Details (Project Browser) in the warehouse plan.  One detail per CAD Detail.  This way you can send one detail at a time.

You can create new using CAD>CAD Detail Management or by simply right clicking on the CAD Details folder in the Project Browser

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Into CAD Details

You can create new using CAD>CAD Detail Management or by simply right clicking on the CAD Details folder in the Project Browser

This is my preferred method......

M.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Into CAD Details

I understand the CAD details part.  I am thinking somewhere in the middle though.  Whether it be a CAD detail or floor, not sure which is best, but grouping them such as Eave Details, Floor System Details, Foundation Details, etc.  Sending "current screen" is OK with me.  I literally have over 20 eave details that I use, truss/no truss; exposed rafters/not exposed, brick/no brick, etc.

So this might be a good thread to ask this question to the experts here:

I have been working at getting more organized and currently have some cad details saved in my plan template and do the rest plan by plan from my library.

my plan is to save into cad details in one of my templates all of the details and send the ones I need to layout.

what is better to do:

1.) put them in the .plan template

2.) put them in the .layout template (eventually I plan to setup the different layer sets to have 8.5x11, 11x17, & 22x34 on the same layout template but currently have three separate templates) so this would take more time to do but may be better about not slowing down the plan???

thoughts and recommendations?

7 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I understand the CAD details part.  I am thinking somewhere in the middle though.  Whether it be a CAD detail or floor, not sure which is best, but grouping them such as Eave Details, Floor System Details, Foundation Details, etc.  Sending "current screen" is OK with me.  I literally have over 20 eave details that I use, truss/no truss; exposed rafters/not exposed, brick/no brick, etc.

Do you find it easier to 'search' them when they're all on one screen? Otherwise, you would just create a CAD Detail for each drawing, and name it to match the detail, but then you'll end up searching by a list instead of visually.

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

So this might be a good thread to ask this question to the experts here:

I have been working at getting more organized and currently have some cad details saved in my plan template and do the rest plan by plan from my library.

my plan is to save into cad details in one of my templates all of the details and send the ones I need to layout.

what is better to do:

1.) put them in the .plan template

2.) put them in the .layout template (eventually I plan to setup the different layer sets to have 8.5x11, 11x17, & 22x34 on the same layout template but currently have three separate templates) so this would take more time to do but may be better about not slowing down the plan???

thoughts and recommendations?

For me, I only place the details in a template if I KNOW they'll be used, for example, a layout template with details for 1 specific builder who maintains their specs for all projects.

Where I work, every builder has different specs and many of them change specs on different projects which makes detailing a laborious task.

Just now, robdyck said:

Do you find it easier to 'search' them when they're all on one screen? Otherwise, you would just create a CAD Detail for each drawing, and name it to match the detail, but then you'll end up searching by a list instead of visually.

Not now, LOL!!!  I have ALL my details on one plan sheet, and I keep finding duplicates that I had redrawn.  My thought process is to group them and then scroll through a much smaller group.

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Do you find it easier to 'search' them when they're all on one screen?

I think this is really the main (and perhaps only) benefit of placing all into a single view whether that be:

-Individual CAD Details with subsets of Details (Eave Details, Foundation Details, Wall Details, Trim Details, etc.)

-Grouped by floor in a warehouse plan

-Grouped by layer sets in a warehouse plan

-Organized by page in a warehouse layout (should be much easier in X12)

-Etc.

Otherwise, I think the individual CAD Detail Method has only advantages.

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

I think this is really the main (and perhaps only) benefit of placing all into a single view whether that be:

-Individual CAD Details with subsets of Details (Eave Details, Foundation Details, Wall Details, Trim Details, etc.)

-Grouped by floor in a warehouse plan

-Grouped by layer sets in a warehouse plan

-Organized by page in a warehouse layout (should be much easier in X12)

-Etc.

Otherwise, I think the individual CAD Detail Method has only advantages.

One other benefit is the quickness when a slight alteration is required. Its easy to replicate everything a uniform dimension and edit the affected portions of the new detail. Of course, I agree that when a new detail is complete, it's a good habit to place it in it's own CAD detail.

2 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

Assuming you mean add to Library....?  (If so, what does that do to the speed of the library?)

don't think he does  , though a CAD Detail can be Blocked and Added to the Library , there is really no need if it is in your CAD Detail Plan , in a CAD Detail . ( and sent to Layout from there....

M. 

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

don't think he does  , though a CAD Detail can be Blocked and Added to the Library , there is really no need if it is in your CAD Detail Plan , in a CAD Detail . ( and sent to Layout from there....

So the consensus is to use a single plan file with multiple (100's) CAD details.  This is basically where I think I am heading although I would put numerous details in a "CAD Detail", i.e. group them.

4 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

So the consensus is to use a single plan file with multiple (100's) CAD details.  This is basically where I think I am heading although I would put numerous details in a "CAD Detail", i.e. group them.

Seems to work okay , though I don't have hundreds of CAD Details ....

I guess to make searching easier you could use a "combo" system, ie have a Cad Detail Plan for each "Group" of Details , ( eg foundation,Wall , Roof etc)  and within it keep the appropriate CAD Details ( in a CAD Detail not Plan.)

M.

In X12, it can work like this:

Have an "Office Std. Details" (OSD) layout with all your details. You can store your CAD Details in the OSD Layout -- one detail per CAD Detail -- and then send them to the same OSD Layout. You can have all your eave details on one layout page, for example. So categories stay nicely organized and details are completely visual.

You have a Project layout, too. In X12, you can have two layouts open at the same time. Open the OSD layout and find the detail you want. Double-click to open. Immediately send to layout, choosing the Project Layout file. This is VERY fast, and keeps the scale of the CAD Detail.

BTW, if you want to create a new detail that's similar to an existing one, you can "Duplicate" the CAD detail in the project browser, and immediately start editing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

In X12, it can work like this:

Have an "Office Std. Details" (OSD) layout with all your details. You can store your CAD Details in the OSD Layout -- one detail per CAD Detail -- and then send them to the same OSD Layout. You can have all your eave details on one layout page, for example. So categories stay nicely organized and details are completely visual.

You have a Project layout, too. In X12, you can have two layouts open at the same time. Open the OSD layout and find the detail you want. Double-click to open. Immediately send to layout, choosing the Project Layout file. This is VERY fast, and keeps the scale of the CAD Detail.

BTW, if you want to create a new detail that's similar to an existing one, you can "Duplicate" the CAD detail in the project browser, and immediately start editing.

Look forward to the new version.

So we can learn is there a reason why to keep it in a separate layout instead of your standard layout template?  Or vs your plan template?