Ruby-safe level, directory

MarkMc

Working on this cabinet price thing again. Yesterday I set up to read a text file and got that to work. Opened plan this morning and get evaluation errors.

Which I don't' understand. Checked with Dir.pwd and to find that Ruby is using the windows/system32 directory. Since I'm going to be giving this off to some others I don't want to use that.

1. I found that to change directory I have to change the Safe level to 1. Wondering if that is seriously risky to give to others?
  2. I first tested a macro that simply changed the directory-once I did that the File.read macro worked. (I'm guessing that since the change directory executed) Does that create other problems that I don't know about?
  3. I'm thinking of setting up a directory "C:\Users\CA" to place the files. At least on Windows that is the simplest for me to hand off to others to create themselves and write into the macro? Don't know about on a Mac?
  4. I'm assuming that I need to write in some form of escape for this, yes?

41 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It sounds like you may be over complicating things.  There should be no reason to change any directory.  Not sure what exactly you’re doing, but I can get Ruby to read any relevant file on my system with the safe level turned up to max.  

I don't understand it. This worked fine last night, shut down computer, turned it on and get this. The only way I could get it back was to change directory which required changing safety level.

Error.png

58 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You have to give Ruby the entire file path.

Well sort of- a copy of the path with standard backslashes "C:\Users\Mark\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X10 Data\Scripts\mod_test.txt" produces an error

145925226_standardpath.thumb.png.09e5a00649f736a38d71858c1dfaeac5.png

OTOH, reversing the slashes works , with or without the drive specified if it is on C ("/Users/Mark/Documents/Chief Architect Premier X10 Data/Scripts/mod_test.txt") -on another drive need all but still have to reverse the slashes.

I don't understand what happened when I had several of these working last night-pcan only guess pilot error of some sort....pretty sure I saved before closing, maybe I didn't, maybe I changed the directory while messing around and the simpler form worked-maybe it was late. I'd prefer the short form which I've seen listed in lots of places just don't know how I got it working yesterday. Thanks though...

Still have those original questions about safety if you or anyone would care to comment.

I always have Ruby set to Safe Level 1.  I don't think it's necessary for reading files - but it definitely is for writing files or creating directories.  I've been doing this for years without any problems.  It could be a problem if you get a macro from someone else who is unscrupulous but otherwise you can even set the Safe Level to "0"

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

...or just careless.  Particularly if those macros are writing or overwriting files. 

True.  I in fact use the ability to write and even over-write files and folders to accomplish certain tasks. 

Since I know what I'm doing and I am not malicious it's actually beneficial - but it would be fairly easy to create a macro that could erase files and even entire directories.  That's why CA set the default to level 2 but it is in fact a handcuff.

• Upvote 1