White Screen

builtright3

PLEASE HELP!

OK, so I'm really getting tired of this white screen coming up and loosing all my work!

I have been on technical support with CA twice with this issue and so I need to find out if anyone else is having this problem and can help.

PROBLEM:

• Whenever I try to open anything in 3D on my external monitor I get this dreaded white screen and the wonderful circle jerk. Just to be clear, there are no issues if I don't run the external monitor.
  • I have never had this problem until the upgrade to Chief 10
  • I have been using laptops for several versions of Chief (ever since we could first do split screen) and this has not been an issue.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO CORRECT IT:

• CA had me uncheck the box in to "Show Option on Startup" in the preferences under the general tab and then I was at least able to open the program and work with it
  • CA also walked me through on how to get the very latest updated video card driver (didn't work).
  • I messed around with screen resolutions and tried everything else under the sun with my computer guy
  • I tried three different laptop computers and had the same problem. Only because I was in the middle of a computer upgrade
  • I have tried 4 different name brands of monitors

I would very much appreciate any help I can get to solve this problem. I think it is a CA glitch that needs to be fixed

Here is a picture of what I get when i try to run anything on the external monitor in 3D. This picture all i did was try to edit a smoke detector.

Capture.thumb.PNG.8be0ac3ccfca9b62516835246637d9af.PNG

12 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

Can you post your plan?

I can post my plan but I don't see how that would help. I have the problem globally so it doesn't matter if it is a new plan, old plan or something I'm currently working on.

Here is a new plan I'm calling "Test Plan" file from my computer. I tested it as a new plan and still having the same problem.

Test Plan.plan

10 hours ago, builtright3 said:

Only one card in this computer

Capture.thumb.PNG.6378e3e8386415f5431c94ca55f7b08f.PNG

I was looking at the GL704G (17" version) myself last month and I am pretty sure it has the Intel 630UHD Graphics card too, most laptops with Nvidia Cards use "Optimus" which switches the Graphics when you go to 3D Applications eg games, however CA isn't always recognised as a 3D App and it is best to assign OpenGL to the Nvidias Card and also add Chief to the Programs under Manage 3D.

Intel website for 8750H says you have a 630UHD ...unless Asus somehow has it disabled?

https://ark.intel.com/products/134906/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-10-GHz-

Asus site also has an Intel graphics Driver for download...... not sure if you have the GM or GS version though....

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/

More on Optimus and enabling switching in this post.....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/17190-inserting-object-from-library-browser-freezes-most-of-the-app/?tab=comments#comment-144430

I mentioned that I had issues on old laptop with second monitor and checked. The DVI and the VGA ports worked. The displayport ran off the Intel card. Changes in the nVidia control center did not matter. 

As Kbird points out there should be an Intel card in that machine, they're integral to laptop CPUs. That it doesn't show in device manager is odd. I'd be contacting Asus support to find out about that. If it is possible to disable the Intel card on a laptop I'd think it had to be done in the BIOS but I didn't think it was possible. 

I'd had those problems on X8,9. Your white screen sounds like issues I've seen in X10 with PBR occasionally. Had a heck of a time on the Spectre and had to go to an older driver at first. Eventually a later driver worked but that one driver never did. 

I have a DisplayLink monitor that has always worked, even with the Spectre. My understanding is that DisplayLink runs off the CPU, not the GPU (coonnects to USB). They make adapters to connect standard monitors. Might be an alternative. 

and are any of them set to use the Nvidia Card for Chief ? , you seem to only have issues when going into 3D which makes me suspect not......especially if the Preferred card is set to the Intel (default) Card.......there were or are still known issues with some Intel Drivers and Chief too as Mark mentioned , i also had that issue earlier this year.

On the Chief Render Tab does it see the Nvidia Card?

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

I have had this problem with x10 on my Lenovo and my Dell also after i installed x10. Both of those systems had the intel card and the nvidia in them. And again both lap tops.

Exactly ,machines with laptop type CPU use the integrated graphics card to drive external monitors regardless of what the GPU a program is using. 

You say always a 3d view. Is it always a PBR?

There is a check box to show older versions in the digital locker. 

11 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I don't see X9 in my digital locker. Do you think chief would put it in there for me to download and try it out? You got me curios now to try that.

Yes if you have understood and tried everything that Tech and Mark and Mick have suggested then it might be worth a try.

Do you have a record of your product key and a backup of the .msi  file ?  If not Tech should be willing to help with that.  Or maybe when the beta version of X11 is available, that might be worth a try depending on if they have addressed any problems in X10 in respect to your issue but it seems that maybe they have not even figured out what the nature of the issue really is yet.

18 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I don't see X9 in my digital locker. Do you think chief would put it in there for me to download and try it out? You got me curios now to try that.

Check the "Show Upgraded Versions Box it should be there

image.thumb.png.5745fa0cf82ddeb3950e5063de1e53e9.png

The Files are also available on the Programs Updates Webpage

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates/oldupdates.html

FWIW-my Sager has a desktop CPU hence no intel card. I use a 27" 3k as primary montior (wireless keyboard) a 24" 1080 and the laptop at 1080, occastional add in a 42" TV by HDMI or wireless-no problems moving windows-lots of windows, including multiple PBRs. I think your issue is drivers or hardware. You should find that X9 runs fine. I use 9 on the Spectre doing measures because it runs fine there but 10 gets laggy  INO running 9 won't tell you much IMO.

Just downloaded X7 and Im having the same problem again. I think I will download the older version on to my older computer because it has been cleaned and formatted and see if I still have the issue. The older versions downloaded really fast on this computer so I dont know that x10 isn't somehow affecting this computer still.

I just remembered Up until about a year ago I would use a big screen TV to run 3D for my customers to see and I never had the issue at that time. Also I just noticed that I can drag the 3D from my laptop screen to the external monitor and it works that way. It appears to only act up when I try to open 3D on the external monitor.