CA reporting same heights for roof planes obviously not

rockyshepheard

7 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

In this CA file you find two roof planes (at obviously differing heights) but still giving exactly the same heights info.

The two planes are not at different heights. Their locations relative to the walls beneath them are different. A wall closer to the high edge will need to be higher to reach the roof plane. A wall closer to the low edge will be lower.

I think the baseline concept gets misunderstood by even some of the most advanced users.  In a nutshell, the baseline is nothing more than the main pivot point and control for the roof plane. 

Consider a perfectly round roof plane.  What are you going to use to determine where it pivots, or the line that is used to determine the roofing material orientation?  That's the purpose of the baseline.  The baseline can be at any angle in plan view, at any angle with regard to the roof plane it produces, and can be adjusted to an off angle in 3D even, but it provides for the single constant pivot point required in order to maintain any sort of logical control over how the roof is generated.

The baseline is TYPICALLY located over the exterior of the wall's main layer but it certainly isn't always located there.  If for example you have 2 different roof pitches and you want the overhang to remain constant, Chief will automatically move the baseline to accommodate during an auto-build.  Yes, you could also adjust the baseline height instead, but Chief will automatically move the baseline in order to maintain a constant baseline height...this behaviour helps make the Make Roof Baseline Polylines tool possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think the baseline concept gets misunderstood by even some of the most advanced users.  In a nutshell, the baseline is nothing more than the main pivot point and control for the roof plane. 

Consider a perfectly round roof plane.  What are you going to use to determine where it pivots, or the line that is used to determine the roofing material orientation?  That's the purpose of the baseline.  The baseline can be at any angle in plan view, at any angle with regard to the roof plane it produces, and can be adjusted to an off angle in 3D even, but it provides for the single constant pivot point required in order to maintain any sort of logical control over how the roof is generated.

The baseline is TYPICALLY located over the exterior of the wall's main layer but it certainly isn't always located there.  If for example you have 2 different roof pitches and you want the overhang to remain constant, Chief will automatically move the baseline to accommodate during an auto-build.  Yes, you could also adjust the baseline height instead, but Chief will automatically move the baseline in order to maintain a constant baseline height...this behaviour helps make the Make Roof Baseline Polylines tool possible. 

This was very well explained! I tried to use the liked thing in the lower right hand corner of the post but I cant figure out how that works so I'm just telling you.

Thank You!:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

I cant figure out how that works

if you hover over the Heart icon on the right , you should get a pop-out to the left  with an up-vote/like (green) or down-vote/dislike button (red) to click on.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

that is how I have always thought of it , of course you can force it to Pivot off the Ridge or Top of Fascia too though, if needed.

M.

32 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

if you hover over the Heart icon on the right , you should get a pop-out to the left  with an up-vote/like (green) or down-vote/dislike button (red) to click on.

that is how I have always thought of it , of course you can force it to Pivot off the Ridge or Top of Fascia too though, if needed.

M.

What the difference between "Like" and "Approve" (upvote, downvote)?

In other words you have three categories; Like, Upvote and Downvote. I just don't get how they are supposed to work together or which one to click on.

17 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

What the difference between "Like" and "Approve" (upvote, downvote)?

In other words you have three categories; Like, Upvote and Downvote. I just don't get how they are supposed to work together or which one to click on.

as far as I know a like is just that , while the Up or down Vote adds or subtracts from a persons' "Reputation" points , ( green number under you Avatar) though it seems nobody here really cares about the Reputation points that much as there is no "rewards" etc like on other Forums. 

38 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I was always taught growing up if you don't have anything good to say about someone then just don't say anything at all.

You and me both...... but there are those who think they need to down-vote for some supposed infraction even here...

M.

Rocky:

Here's an exercise for you to try.

Open a new plan with no walls, nothing in it.  Now draw a roof plan in the plan.  Ask yourself, why did it show up when there are no walls yet?  Select the roof and open its dialog (specifications) box.  Why are the settings what they are?  Now, draw a cross section through the roof.  Can you tell where the roof is located with respect to Chief's "0" elevation (usually the top of the subfloor ... structures with framed floors ... or top of slab for structures with slab floors.  Go back to your plan view and off to the side of your roof plane draw walls for a small structure.  Go back to your cross section now and see the relationship of the roof plane to the 4-sided structure's walls.  Draw a CAD line horizontally from the top of one of the walls through the roof plane.  Look at where the CAD line crosses the bottom edge of your roof plane.  Now draw a temporary dimension or a point to point dimension from the CAD line's intersection with the bottom of the roof planes framing member to the top of that framing member.  What is that measurement and what does it mean?  Can you find that number anywhere in the roof specifications. 

Hopefully you'll start to understand some of trig/geometry/nuts and bolts of what goes on within Chief when you build a roof .... which all sort of magically happens based on "YOUR PLANS DEFAULTS".  Everything you do in Chief when building walls, roofs, and other parts of a building's structure are based on the plans defaults.  When you start changing defaults or "moving things around", the model reflects those changes.  Chief will do the best it can to change the model based on what you do but that doesn't mean the model will be correct after you've made some changes.  If you start getting warnings or error messages after doing something, Chief may be trying to tell you there's a problem doing that and you might have to "undo" and try a different approach to what you are doing.  That's all a part of the learning process with CA.

All Chief users eventually learn how to use the program efficiently.  I was a little slow grasping roofs myself, especially manually building roofs.  I ended up driving up to Coeur d' Alene and taking an hours training with Mont Stevenson (CA trainer) years ago and that session really helped me get over the hump with being able to build roofs as they should be.  Even now, years later, I will run into a roof design that tests my abilities. 

Please take the time to study how to use Chief.  Read the manual; read help database articles; watch videos; read the threads on Chief Talk; do whatever it takes to expand your understanding of this very powerful program.  And most of all ... PRACTICE as you learn...!!!

I hope Tommy and you have a good session.  He's been using Chief a long time and really knows his stuff.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, CJSpud said:

All Chief users eventually learn how to use the program efficiently.

This is simply not true.  Plenty of long time Chief users are not efficient at all.  Why?

They don't do things like this...

1 hour ago, CJSpud said:

I ended up driving up to Coeur d' Alene and taking an hours training with Mont Stevenson (CA trainer) years ago and that session really helped me get over the hump with being able to build roofs as they should be.

Or this...

1 hour ago, CJSpud said:

Read the manual

Or this...

1 hour ago, CJSpud said:

read help database articles

On 12/20/2018 at 7:22 PM, Kbird1 said:

You and me both...... but there are those who think they need to down-vote for some supposed infraction even here...

M.

I will downvote a post if I think it is counter productive.  One of my pet peeves is when I see a response that demonstrates that the person didn't read and understand the OP.  I usually downvote these, especially if the post expresses frustration towards the OP.

• Like 1