Calculating linear feet of drywall

SusanneT-Baker

Does anyone know a way in Chief to calculate how much drywall would be needed? I've used the Materials list, but the amount of drywall it calculate is significantly lower than what I actually need.

I use the programs for basement design and would like to find an easier way to incorporate the program with estimating.

I have clicked on a room, and selected calculate materials for a room. It then says I need 9 sheets of drywall. it is a 14'-8" X 16'-10" room. A co worker suggested that it is only calculating drywall for the ceiling. 

Anyone else run into this problem, or know of a solution?

Thanks

I would STRONGLY suggest that you get into the habit of using the Reference Manual and/or using the Help files.  Here's what you would have found... 

499008905_Materiallist.thumb.jpg.55a61452a7237e08dd7733499c422d23.jpg

I have highlighted the area the describes the behaviour you're seeing, but read the whole page to find out which tool might work better for you.

6 hours ago, SusanneT-Baker said:

Does anyone know a way in Chief to calculate how much drywall would be needed? I've used the Materials list, but the amount of drywall it calculate is significantly lower than what I actually need.

I use the programs for basement design and would like to find an easier way to incorporate the program with estimating.

I have clicked on a room, and selected calculate materials for a room. It then says I need 9 sheets of drywall. it is a 14'-8" X 16'-10" room. A co worker suggested that it is only calculating drywall for the ceiling. 

Anyone else run into this problem, or know of a solution?

Thanks

Your Co-Worker is correct as Michael also pointed out, but if you want one room's (only) drywall you can create the Room's Polyline ( edit toolbar) then Pull the PL back to the middle of the each WALL, and convert the PL to a Materials PL and it will now include the Wall Drywall, not just the Ceilings.  Note the ML only lists exactly what is modelled and by default, only uses 4'x8' sheets, even for say a 12'x12' bedroom.

You can fill in your Forum signature by looking at mine too if you like, as many questions require the Version being used to offer the best solution.

M.

If it's a one-floor basement upfit, just do the all-floors material list, and use only those quantities listed for floor 0.

I am presuming you are using a full version of Chief, that you build a main level (level 1) plan, then generate a foundation under it as level 0, and finish that level 0 with your spaces and finishes.  I don't know how the other Chief versions (interiors, etc.) work.