Mysterious elevation roof plane

rockyshepheard

Your Roof Baselines are floating in space:

baseline.thumb.JPG.04df55bed972b91b5ff52cf675595158.JPG

Select the baseline and drag it up to the wall's main layer:

baseline2.thumb.JPG.50db62763a67a85c0a0c3c115b292b4a.JPG

This will correct the height of the roof plane, which you can then join to the other planes:

roofs.thumb.JPG.1361edeb40f9427d57e43d12c9b8b896.JPG

I highly suggest you download a copy of the Reference Manual and study the chapters on roof planes.

6 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Highlighting the baseline does not highlight the plane.

No, but selecting the Roof Plane will highlight its baseline. I set the Roofs, Baseline layer to a bright green color and a dashed line style; this helps me identify the baselines, especially when they are highlighted.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It is correct Glenn.  It's just not very noticeable with the Selection Line color that most of us use.  Try changing your Selection Line color (Preferences) to bright blue or bright red and then give it a quick test. 

hmmmm....  not sure about that..... can I see a pic of a roof plane selected with a green color fill & a base line color of red?

The point is that the baseline is highlighted along with the roof plane.  Robert changed his baseline layer color to bright green because it makes the baseline much more obvious when it is highlighted.  Not because it turns the baseline bright green but because the highlighted baseline looks so much different than the rest of the bright green baselines.

Rocky, the replies above are correct. Here is a reminder of what I recommended you to do when drawing a roof plane manually.

1. Set the pitch you want to use for that roof plane and the overhangs if you want. Overhangs can be changed later though.

2. Turn on the angle snap so you're drawing straight.

3. Be sure the "on angle snap" is turned on so that when you're starting the roof plan, it will snap to the outside of main layer (assuming you didn't change the AltQ setting or general wall default setting which by default it will be set for outside of main layer).

4. Be sure you're zoomed in close enough to the wall to that you can see that you're snapping to the outside main layer.

Doing these steps will help a lot. Also remember that the roof plate height is based off of the room "rough ceiling height" shown for that room where you're starting the roof plane which is located in that room dbx.

50 minutes ago, dshall said:

hmmmm....  not sure about that..... can I see a pic of a roof plane selected with a green color fill & a base line color of red?

On second thought, I guess I didn't think about your post well enough.  I was thinking you were talking about 2 different line colors.  You're talking about a line color and a fill color.  Yes, your request is possible...

Pic 1.png

I cannot see how selecting the roof plane also selects the baseline.

Here are 2 pics - one showing the roof plane selected (the baseline is not selected), and the second pic shows the baseline selected (the roof plane is not selected).

I cannot see any other pictures, nor can i get the baseline to be selected by selecting the roof plane. 

New Image_178.jpg

New Image_179.jpg

PS, maybe we are talking about cross purposes here.

If you select a roof plane and move it, the baseline will move with it.

The baseline isn't selected in the traditional sense that it has selection grips like the roof does when it is selected.

I guess it depends on what "selected" means.

eg, you can't select a roof plane and expect the baseline to be selected for individual editing independent of the roof plane. 

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

On second thought, I guess I didn't think about your post well enough.  I was thinking you were talking about 2 different line colors.  You're talking about a line color and a fill color.  Yes, your request is possible...

Pic 1.png

Of course,  not sure what I was thinking,  thx

in a working set I also make baseline line weight very heavy to help identify.