Would You Purchase A High-Quality Library Of Wrought Iron Balusters?

brinkbart

Need Assessment: Wrought Iron Baluster  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How likely would you be to purchase (and use) an extensive library of high-quality wrought iron balusters?

• I would use these symbols in many of my projects, and would be very likely to purchase this library.
    • I would use these symbols only a few of my projects, and would be likely to purchase this library when I need it.
    • I have no use for these symbols, and would not be likely to purchase this library.

Hi, guys, I am trying something new. For months, I've been working on a very extensive, high-quality library of wrought iron balusters.

It includes baskets, knuckles, scrolls, bowed balusters, and twists—all in various styles and sizes. I'm even including a few wrought iron newels in popular styles. There are many alternating pattern variations, and the symbols have paintable components where applicable. The symbols have keywords attached to them for easy searching, and components for each symbol for accurate materials lists, down to the newel mounts.

I've mimicked popular styles found on manufacturers' websites, but there is no manufacturer information attached to the symbols.

These symbols were made from scratch to be relatively low-poly, while still providing photo-realistic renders. I've worked hard to remove all "stray lines" so that they look phenomenal in elevation view. This, in itself, is brain-wracking.

I am also working on very thorough documentation, which will provide symbol and pattern specifications, symbol polygon count, and instructions for use.

This started as an innocent project, and has absolutely exploded in scope to be as exhaustive as possible while still maintaining my sanity. It has taken up so much of my time, and it is so detailed that I am going to offer it for sale. I would like to get a feel for the community's need for something like this, and what you think is a fair price point.

Disclaimer: When I realized I would have to offer it for sale as opposed to sharing it as a freebie, I had to ditch the symbols I got from 3D warehouse, and began creating my own. In doing so, I was able to achieve lower poly-count and paintable components. I am not very good at creating realistic material textures, so those will not be included, or, will be included as a "bonus", since I did not create them.

So, if you would, please do me the honor and courtesy of responding to the poll, and please tell me how much you would be willing to pay for a library of this caliber. I have included a few screenshots of what you might expect to accomplish with the symbols in this library, and a mockup of the documentation I'm working on.

P.S. - I have other great ideas in mind for useful, photo-realistic symbols that one cannot find anywhere else. I'm not talking about furnishings... Not really good at those, and there's plenty to be found online for free. I mean more like "building helpers". They would include cabinet/entertainment center surrounds, true breadboard arched cabinet doors, handrail fittings for railings (think pin-top newel under a quarter-turn cap or volute), and face-mounted aluminum/glass handrail panels. Your response here will help me gauge whether I should take on these projects![/size]

post-210-0-21347100-1410024027_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-45503900-1410024043_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-27524600-1410024060_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-78469300-1410024067_thumb.jpg

as long as the code requirements are followed, these would be great.

Great point!

I am actually making sure a 4" sphere could not fit between the balusters when I do the suggested symbol spacing**. However, you can set the spacing manually, as per usual.

They also stretch with rail height, so you're fine there.

** The obvious exception is the corner of the bowed baluster pictured above... but I wanted to include them, as they would be great for straight runs with walls on both sides.

obviously, it depends on the cost too

This is actually what I'm most interested in. I would like to open the floor to a fair price discussion. Anyone is welcome to PM me if they're feeling gauche about discussing money in the open. Also, those of you who sell symbols, any tips or advice would be highly appreciated. I am open to comradery if you are!

I've never actually sold an intangible good like this before. But I'm quite proud of this one, and I sincerely hope it's useful to my friends here. Might go into business, you never know!

I'd be very interested - if affordable. I generally buy symbols 'pre-need' if they are something that I might find n the Huntsville, AL real estate market. I like the confidence of knowing that I can get to work without having to search for necessary symbols under time pressures.

I may only design 2-4 homes a year now, but I do a fair amount of virtual staging for Realtors and small builders.

I was searching all over my computer to find a picture of the railings at one of our newest spec homes but couldn't find it until today. Turns out it was in my phone and I never transferred it to my laptop. This is an example of the railings we use in all of our specs. 

post-58-0-54124400-1410180594_thumb.jpg

I was searching all over my computer to find a picture of the railings at one of our newest spec homes but couldn't find it until today. Turns out it was in my phone and I never transferred it to my laptop. This is an example of the railings we use in all of our specs. 

Roscoe, will this pattern do?

post-210-0-39037300-1410186549_thumb.png

PREVIEW PATTERN LIBRARY ATTACHED!

I've included the library so you and everyone can try it out. There are some important things to note. I know this seems like a lot, but I'm really trying to cover all the bases. If you have any questions, please PM me.

GENERAL NOTES:

• Because the staircase treats balusters differently than rails do, sometimes there are separate symbols for balustrades and stairs.
  • Each symbol has a suggested width and suggested spacing. Those are in the symbol name in (parenthesis) for width and [brackets] for spacing. Depending on the length of rail between newels, slight adjustments to the widths can be made.
  • Alternating patterns include more than one baluster per symbol. Because of this, the Width and Spacing values that you will enter in the fields will not always correspond with the actual baluster or symbol width. However, the materials list will have correct baluster count and size.
  • Symbols including more than one baluster will stretch between the balusters. They will not distort the balusters themselves when adjusting widths.
  • Symbols including more than one baluster have a higher poly-count. Depending on your hardware, this could cause a slow elevation-to-layout. In the other libraries, there are many lower-poly alternatives than these.

ALTERNATING PATTERNS ON STAIRS ARE TRICKY!

• Because alternating patterns include more than one baluster per symbol, these symbols were adjusted to be positioned accurately on the treads, and to fit properly between newels on a staircuase.
  • To avoid unexpected results at first treads, the Newels at First Tread check box must be checked. If you do not actually want a newel at the first tread, set the Newel Width to 0".
  • Normally, staircases will either cut the tops or bottoms of balusters depending on your preference. Because of this, balusters with shoes cannot use the Cut Baluster Top feature.
  • Alternating patterns, and balusters with shoes, cannot be used successfully on landings. In the other libraries, there are many single-baluster symbols without shoes when your project requires landings.
  • Single-Baluster symbols will work on a curved staircase, but alternating patterns will either not work, or only work (with adjustments) on one side of a curved staircase.
  • This staircase pattern was created using an 11" tread depth. If you use a smaller tread depth, you may want to adjust the Baluster Width a few fractions to keep the spacing perfect, though it is not necessary.

PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK:

I know I should have chosen a less advanced pattern for the preview, but I wanted to show what's possible when we think outside the box. Have you ever seen an alternating baluster pattern in Chief?? Have you ever seen shoes on a baluster in Chief? Angled shoes on a staircase baluster??? It's all doable! So now you see why I'm also writing extensive documentation to go with it!

I encourage you to try this pattern in your older projects to see how well they work for what you do. Bang on them a bit. Try to come up with scenarios I haven't yet thought up. Tell me what works well and what needs improvement. I would love to know how I can improve these symbols!

wrought_iron_baluster_preview.calibz