Any Advice On Starting A Design/drafting Business (Using Chief)?

Fun2Learn

After trying various companies' software free demos off and on  for several years, I've finally made up my mind to order Chief Premier and try to get back into the architecture field. I am seriously considering starting a design/drafting service out of my house. If I did, I imagine I would probably mainly be doing residential remodeling projects, (which I love doing anyway--I love the challenge of a making a remodel look great.) Or would you strongly suggest trying to get a Chief drafting job with another firm (after I learn it better). How hard would it be to find a firm looking to hire someone who only knows Chief (I never learned AutoCAD, for instance.)

Do you have any advice for someone just starting up  a Chief Architect cad business--how to go about it, tips for advertising and selling your services, legal issues to be aware of, business mistakes to avoid, etc? Any courses or books you'd recommend? How hard is it to get work-- how is the business these days in general?  Are people seeming to have an easier time getting construction loans, (or home equity loans) to fund the construction these days?

Of course, I realize that the building industry varies depending on which part of the country you are in. Supposedly, the housing industry in our area (near D.C.) was never hit as hard as much of the rest of the country. I live in a semi-rural area of Southern Maryland, close enough to commute to the D.C. metro area. Homes here are typically on either very large lots or acreage--meaning there would be room to expand and add-on. There is also quite a bit of buildable land still available for new construction, too.The average median income in the county is among the top 20 in the nation, so I would imagine there is money to spend on remodels--if the banks are lending.

My background: I have a degree in architecture and worked for about 13 years in the field (had my license in CA before moving to Maryland and letting it expire (couldn't afford the fees!). I spent the last 20 years or so as a stay- at- home mom, though I did some remodeling design work for friends and myself (using a very old home- owner version of Chief -"3-D Home Architect"!) over those years, as well as a very extensive remodel and addition project for a friend.  

Now I need to go back to work to earn some money! Plus, I am having so much fun playing around with the Chief Architect X6 trial version, that my desire to get back into the field has really intensified. Drafting is now FUN and being able to see the results in instantaneous, beautifully rendered 3-D is so gratifying. (I had tried a few other versions of Chief's free trial, but never took the time to really investigate the software and understand it better like I have this time--so it is much less frustrating all of a sudden!) This sure beats the old paper and pencil, "eraser crumbs and pencil smudges everywhere", and "staying up late, making last minute changes on every single sheet of vellum and double-checking dimension strings into the wee hours of the morning" old- school type of drafting I used to have to do l!!!

Thanks for any advice or help you can give.

After 40 years of drawing, I find the most important thing is to save some money for all the "up's and down's" of the business, and not put all your eggs in one basket. Sooner or later even your largest clients might, at any time, go out of business. If that's your only client --,oh oh.  Always be honest and never try to hide anything from contractors if they are your client. Their business is a cut-throat business and if you have other competing contractors that you draw for, tell them both the truth, they will find out eventually, anyway you are not anyone's employee.  It will just make them more jealous and want to give you more work than the other guy. Always hammer the money!!!! Do not let a client get behind w/ payments, threaten to kill if not

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Perry for your sage advice! Wow--you have been doing this for 40 years--you must have started out doing hand drafting also. Was Chief Architect the first CAD you used? It is nice to see someone who has been successful in the business for so long uses Chief as his CAD of choice (I assume that is what you use--maybe you use others, too?)

Special thanks to you, Lew,  for taking the time to call me to share so many helpful tips and suggestions for starting up a CAD business. I really appreciate the advice and, especially, encouragement from someone who has "been there, done that"--and even in my general vicinity, too!

Thanks again!

Phyllis

Yes 40 years, and its a very lonely existence, you are it, I was also a builder for many years but it not my thing, too much work and dealing with homeowners and their pets. I've always liked Drawing b/c that's what I studied in College. Yep ,many years of hand drawing. People use to tell me ,I had a good hand, lettering was good. When computers came around, people hated it at first, very generic. So I got this little program called "Squiggle" to make it look hand drawn. I've had several different programs for drawing but so far settled on Chief for its easy learning curve and seemed to work for me better than the others. I had to learn it quick, so I took a few classes and that all it took. I also was very lucky to meet the famous "SCOTT at those classes, we have been friends since. He has saved my a** many times over many years. I now only use Chief.

• Upvote 1

The advice already shared is golden.  Offering design services has its own ins and outs, but can be rewarding.  A few things I'd consider before diving in...

• A solid design contract.  Be clear on what your responsibilities are and what your work includes and how its billed out.
  • Consider E&O insurance.
  • Billing - stay ahead of the work with your billing... don't get too deep into a project before payment is received.  Use a design deposit up front to make sure clients are serious.  From my experience you may have a tough time making a profit if all of your work is simply an hourly rate billing.  Consider some fixed fee options.  In my part of the country (West Coast), an hourly rate of $85 - $110 is needed to even make a go of it.
  • Schedule the work - set time frames or goal points to keep work moving forward.  Clients can drag things out.
  • Be careful with using Chief "live" with your clients.  Once they see how "cool" it is to try different textures, play with design features, and spin the house around in 3D, you may find yourself eating up alot of time that is hard to bill for.  

All the best!

Thanks so much, Designsyko!  Sounds like great advice. I love your caution about being careful about "using Chief "live" with a client" --that is something that I wouldn't have thought about probably until it was too late, LOL! Yes, I could definitely see a client wanting to have you try every tile, floor and wall color, furniture arrangement, etc. while they are sitting there with you since it looks so easy and fun!

So if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you prefer fixed fees for some things, or find they are more profitable? Do you charge by the square foot, or ? What is the typical going rate for a permit set, for instance, for a remodeling job?

Any suggestions on where to find a good contract sample or E and O insurance? Is insurance needed if you aren't actually stamping the drawings as an architect or contractor?  

Perry- (By the way, I love your user name, "Drawzilla") I know what you mean about a "lonely" existence. About 1990, I tried starting my own little architecture practice shortly after getting my architect's license. I had a new house project for a friend (basically tearing down the existing tiny house and building new--lots were that valuable in Silicone Valley). Drafting seemed to take so much time, and I felt so isolated--this was before the internet and before CAD (at least CAD that was practical for my needs and budget, at least.) It was so hard to get information (I didn't even have those huge volumes of SWEETS catalogs--remember those anyone?) and connect with anyone else. Contractors and others  were hard to get a hold of before cell phones and email.  I couldn't stand it! I didn't have any kids at the time, either, so it was too quiet around my house. Now I enjoy the quiet of being home alone while they are at school or work, LOL!  And with the internet and email, and Chief Architect, I feel that it will make the world of a difference--like going from being a "monk in a cell hand-copying manuscripts" to using  on Microsoft Word 2010 on a laptop connected to the internet.

Yes, I remember some of the early CAD programs as the firm I worked for tried various ones that were coming out. Apple even gave our (about 50 man) company in San Jose 3 free Macintoshes (1980's) to try using for CAD. There were a lot of "start-up" CAD developers at the time. No one seemed to be sure which one would end up being "the one." My firm  came to the conclusion that CAD was only cost effective for producing multi-unit housing floor plans, where we could make one floor plan and then copy it many times. Otherwise, hand drawing was the fastest. I remember even testing out several CAD programs over the years for the company, but none seemed to really meet our needs effectively.  Then they hired a young man who knew AutoCAD, and put him and his computer up in a loft by himself to work on the larger projects. He was treated like a "computer nerd", and no one paid much attention to him and his "mysterious" computer program. HA!!! He probably had the last laugh and eventually became on of the most valuable and highly paid employess in the firm when everything started going to CAD, I imagine!

Any suggestions on where to find a good contract sample or E and O insurance? Is insurance needed if you aren't actually stamping the drawings as an architect or contractor?

Phyllis:

most insurance carriers won't issue E&O if you are not licensed etc

AIBD use to offer E&O for its members

I have always advocated the use of disclaimers to clarify what areas you will
take liability for

since you were a licensed architect in CA you will have issues using disclaimers

with homeowners and probably even builders since you have "more" experience

than they do

liability can be transferred to entities of equal or greater knowledge

much harder to transfer to lesser entities

probably best to meet with an attorney versed in construction law for MD soonest

join NARI and AIA as I mentioned then ask for recommends

Lew

Lew

I would be careful about assuming that you are protected. Just as a court would probably find someone guilty of "gross negligence" if they read a few books, bought a scalpel, and started operating on someone to detrimental effect, the court might be equally inclined to find a party guilty of gross negligence if they read a few books, took a drafting class, bought a copy of Chief Architect, and opened up shop, then making significant errors on a project. You generally can't transfer your way out of gross negligence.

You generally can't transfer your way out of gross negligence

Richard:

that is obvious

we have had this debate ever since I started in 2004 thru numerous threads

on the old forum

I'm not going to re-hash all of the arguments again

go back and re-read the old threads if you don't remember them

your claim that an "untrained/un-licensed designer can be sued for "gross negligence"

just for daring to design is false in any state that allows them to do it 

some states allow un-licensed designers to create plans and some don't

here in NY they can create plans as long as every page is reviewed/stamped by an architect

in DC/VA/MD they can create plans and only need stamps on pages that require their "expertise"

such plans can be submitted by the homeowner or any builder licensed to do so

you are missing the whole point of "transfer of liability" via contract or disclaimer

again, any designer should consult with an attorney

to learn the limits and benefits of transferring liability

Lew

jon,

Great link! I actually was a Chapter President of ASID (in a Chapter with about 500 members) and find the political position of ASID National untenable. Mostly because their ultimate aspirations to license interior designers would put about 2/3 of their membership out of business, if fully enacted. There are also many people advertising themselves as "interior architects" or "architectural designers" without having an architect's license. (This is an issue in every state that I know of.) They are living on borrowed time. So, paying attention to what you call yourself is important.

your claim that an "untrained/un-licensed designer can be sued for "gross negligence"

just for daring to design is false in any state that allows them to do it 

Lew, this is not what I claimed. But anyone, including architects, can be sued for gross negligence, whether it is a valid claim or not. But if you don't know what you are doing, the odds of prevailing drop dramatically.

"But if you don't know what you are doing, the odds of prevailing drop dramatically."

Amen, brother!

Sitting down with competent counsel to develop the Ts&Cs unique to your business is fairly important.  Beyond liability issues (how you implement is equally important to what the contract states.  You must have a process to support contractual obligations), issues of Intellectual Property (IP) use, rights, and duration are mucho importante and need to be explicitly defined in contract.  Failure to do so will get your work repurposed, reused, and regurgitated all without any compensation to the original creator.

Find a competent small business attorney.

jon