Manipulating roof plane around x,y,z.

rockyshepheard

To adequately define my question I must resort to a thought experiment.

Imagine a plane upon which are superimposed 9 squares, sides touching, forming a larger square. The middle-most square has vertices A,B,C,D, A being top right, D being top left.

When you push or pull on a vertex it rotates the middle square around its center as if it were perfectly balanced on the tip of a cone. at its center.

So now, push the entire middle square into the plane one foot. The pull A towards the original plane by 6 inches.Than push B down 3 inches. The push C down by 2 inches and finally pull D up b 1 inch.

What method would you use in CA to get the middle square back in place?

The square has four sides, so using ridge height presents the problem of which side of the middle square is the ridge? Same with baseline, etc.

If you knew, you could start by making the ridge height (or another spec) of a surrounding square match the ridge height (or other spec) of the middle square (side closest).

But would that work given that  A,B,C,Dhave been pushed and pulled...middle square is no longer coplanar with the original plane?

I guess my question is can a middle square (CA plane) which looks correct in 2D...that has been pushed, pulled and moved up and down...always be brought back to its original position (thus allowing the sides to join) ONLY by a combination of matchings of

Lock ridge top height 

Lock baseline height

Lock shadow boards top height 

Lock pitch

Thanks for reading.

Here is an example plan that might make my question more clear.

I created a roof. The picked one roof plane and varied it many ways. 

How would I get it back to the original position (other than doing the exact reverse of the previously mentioned manipulation), also without modifying any of the attributes of all the other planes?

Here is another auto build roof.

I had to make a room of the garage pushout to get the small gable.

Otherwise everything else seems to build OK.

It is best to leave Auto Rebuild Roofs toggled on so that hen you change a room or wall you get instant feedback on what you have done.

New Image_17.jpg

7 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

But it is not the auto rebuild roof that is required. That's where it cannot be done autorebuild. When it must be a certain way.

How do you know what can't be done with the auto build roof tool?

And what is wrong with doing 90% auto and 10% manual? 

1 hour ago, rockyshepheard said:

I don't mind splitting the work up between auto and manual but I would like to find the limits of what auto can do. If there is a way of avoiding manual I think the end result would be more stable.

Rocky, at some point in time, you'll be manipulating a roof manually. It's very good to know how to manually draw roofs. Also, if you know and understand how to draw roofs, a manual roof is just as "stable" as an auto roof.

Well, I'm already doing some manual changes. It is a bit difficult to see what is joined and what isn't. It would be great if joined planes were color coded and locked so you could move on to unjoined and not worry that joining a subsequent set of planes didn't unjoin a previously set of joined planes.