Wall Elevation Dimensions

SNestor

I'm wondering how to dimension a wall elevation...created with the "wall elevation camera"?  I have learned by trial and error that the NKBA auto dim tool works...if you have cabinets.  Otherwise...it doesn't.  

So...do I have to create a cad detail from view and dimension it there...or is there a way to dimension this wall elevation using the standard tools? 

All I want to do is dimension the height/width of the seat and the overall height and width of the space.  

Thanks!

1758978879_WALLELEVATION1.thumb.png.1b8b8b58ce099f704ffc53b20aebbd1f.png

Boy & I thought it was just me not knowing the program !! I see you can see dimensions in plan view , but i also would love to bring an elevation view to a layout with all the dimensions , showing the height of the shower seat , pony wall height , wall cap , tile sizes  , niches  , & so on !!!  All these details are the main reason i purchased the program !!!

IN CONSTRUCTION A CHANGE ANYWHERE IS A CHANGE EVERYWHERE !!!!!

Sometimes the auto dimension won't pick up the edge you want. I've had instances where I had to zoom in and add a point, real small and barely visible, then dimension to that. The only negative is it won't auto update if you change the design. But this is less a pain than converting the image to Cad Detail from View. I rarely do that, except for "dumb" generic details or elevations. What's the point of using a 3d BIM software package if your going to convert everything to 2d lines and then lose the ability to easily update the project later.

15 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

But this is less a pain than converting the image to Cad Detail from View. I rarely do that, except for "dumb" generic details or elevations.

CAD Detail From View is probably in my top 5 favorite tools in Chief.  Just remember that you don't have to actually use the CAD Detail for anything.  I use it all the time to simply get snap points and then Cut/Copy Paste Hold Position back into plan.  Example:

Instead of zooming in and placing points at a potentially incorrect location, create a CAD Detail From View, drop a dimension into the plan, and then cut/paste hold position back into your elevation view.  I typically make the points 0" in size, make them invisible, or put them onto a different layer and turn that layer off. 

18 hours ago, SNestor said:

.or is there a way to dimension this wall elevation using the standard tools?

I have a couple of annosets specific to elevation dimensions (I find the auto more time consuming to fix) but for what you are asking that is not needed. For wall elevations (as opposed to sections) dimensions work best if you drag inside the view NOT outside. Then it's just what is listed in locate objects, again your not asking for much.1782335080_Manualdims.thumb.png.f9a98bf438271bf9676f543e5c4e7fe0.png

If you set your dimensions default to proximity fixed you can drag dimension inside the view, then just throw them toward outside and they all end up neatly placed304131619_Dimensionstossedtoedge.thumb.png.d5215c08fef4a113f1c6a549baa75298.png