Different stud material showing separately in M.L.

dshall

Is it possible to frame a wall with fir framing #1 and copy that material,  give it a different color and call it fir framing #2 and then find both materials in the material list.

i do have two different stud materials but they do not show up differently 8n the material list.  What am I missing?

thx

Scott,

You're not missing anything.

I think you'll find that your best bet is to simply run 2 different material lists.  One with all the objects except for Framing #2 and then one with only Framing #2 (or vicy versy), and then just manually change the name in the material list. 

That framing material naming issue has been around for a while.  I've dug deep into all the files we typically shouldn't touch in the past and I've never found a setting that affects the way framing is named in the material list.  I think the only place I really haven't checked is in the main program file.  That's probably where it is.

6 hours ago, glennw said:

Scott,

I am guessing that all your studs are all the same size and height?

If they are different sizes and heights, there may be ways to do what you want.

The same cross section size is the same,  The height is irrelevant.

In fact I need to make a 2x4 at least about 1" larger for it to recognize it as different material.  IOW,  a 1-1/2"x3-1/2" stud and a 1-3/4"x3-1/2" stud will show up the same in the material list..... ( I think). A 1-1/2"x3-1/2" will show differently to a 2-1/4"x3-1/2". (sorry for not converting to metric)

The reason I ask is I would like to be able to identify in a material list the new studs and existing studs.  I did copy the 2X4 STUD FIR @ 16" OC material and called it 2X4 STUD FIR @ 16" OC NEW and changed the color so I could visually see the new studs and existing studs.  

BUT!!!!!! The two different materials do not show up differently in the material list.

BTW,  I think the guys in the south east use SOUTHERN YELLOW PINE,  do they have to change the name to that from FIR?

So again,  the purpose is to have a list of new studs and a list of existing studs for remodels.  In this picture you can visually discern the new from existing studs but this will not be reflected in the material list.

543335218_ScreenShot2018-12-12at9_50_20AM.thumb.png.d07cd9f8ad3b1132519d0fc14464eac6.png

29 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm curious Scott, why do you even need a material list for the existing?

I really need it for the new,  right now I am getting all studs listed.  

I suppose the new walls can be designed to use metal Studs or no studs or.........  maybe the existing can be tricked into using LVL lumber maybe.......  but if I leave out the studs in existing walls,  then my sections will be incorrect as well as my framing overviews.  

I wonder why we shouldn't be able to have new studs and existing studs.  '

6 minutes ago, dshall said:

I really need it for the new,  right now I am getting all studs listed.  

I suppose the new walls can be designed to use metal Studs or no studs or.........  maybe the existing can be tricked into using LVL lumber maybe.......  but if I leave out the studs in existing walls,  then my sections will be incorrect as well as my framing overviews.  

I wonder why we shouldn't be able to have new studs and existing studs.  '

When you have the time and inclination, set up a meeting with me Scott.  I think I can help you use the material list a lot more effectively.

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

When you have the time and inclination, set up a meeting with me Scott.  I think I can help you use the material list a lot more effectively.

thanks,  I will,  maybe tomorrow from 6 & 9?  I have a client who will be here.....  this is for him.  Let me know what time works for you.   I will be on the clock.

Scott,

The height is irrelevant.

Maybe not!

You should be able to filter the studs by height by using the Lumber Reporting Method Control in the ML.

The reason your studs are coming in at the same height is probably because you are using Lineal Length which is not filtering the studs by length.

The is reporting the studs of the same width and height by totalling all the stud lengths.

For starters, try using Cut List - this will sort the studs into their actual length and ignore any set lengths (Buy List) as defined in Structural Reporting.

You may need to edit your Structural Reporting defaults - but I don't think you will need to.

PS. Make sure in Build Framing, you have Use Wall Framing Material checked, otherwise chief will use the framing default.

best option is to just create a framing schedule -- gives everything you want

If you want to differentiate studs in a material list. you have to create a difference between stud objects and material skin is not recognized by the material list as a parameter.

so you have to use the ruby objects. such as line type or some other unimportant parameter. Select all your new studs and change something into something. Add a object macro into the material list in one of the unused fields Referencing the changed parameter.. Right click and select "divide into multiple values"

Michel can help with that.

Another way that seems to work.

Place a wall that contains studs you don't want included in the ML on their own layer (say an existing wall).

Uncheck the M in the layer display options for that layer.

The wall will not be reported in the ML (which is probably what you want anyway).

But...also, the studs won't be reported either, even though they are on a different layer (Framing, Wall) with the M checked.

6 hours ago, dshall said:

BTW,  I think the guys in the south east use SOUTHERN YELLOW PINE,  do they have to change the name to that from FIR?

In the North East we use SPF framing material ( Spruce, Pine, Fir ) which seems to encompass what is used in most of North America.  What gets stamped on your lumber ?

And yes I have changed the name from Fir to SPF.  Maybe chief should do that so everyone else does not have to ?

HQ informed me last year when I asked them about the FIR name in the ML and why it wouldn't change, that the ML is HARDCODED with the word FIR and it can not be changed at this (that time) . I too went to the trouble of making my own SPF Framing to suit local conditions like Chopsaw, before finding that out. I was told if I wanted to see SPF listed, I would need to use a Framing Schedule .... though I found recently you need to be really selective with a Schedule or it will really slow the Plan down if you let it list everything in the Model.

image.thumb.png.dc6bf02f59ab30780fb531f20e855b04.png

image.thumb.png.40c90cea371c3b4669f975e1e17dccbb.png

13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

HQ informed me last year when I asked them about the FIR name in the ML and why it wouldn't change, that the ML is HARDCODED with the word FIR and it can not be changed at this (that time) . I too went to the trouble of making my own SPF Framing to suit local conditions like Chopsaw, before finding that out. I was told if I wanted to see SPF listed, I would need to use a Framing Schedule .... though I found recently you need to be really selective with a Schedule or it will really slow the Plan down if you let it list everything in the Model.

image.thumb.png.dc6bf02f59ab30780fb531f20e855b04.png

image.thumb.png.40c90cea371c3b4669f975e1e17dccbb.png

Mick,  I am playing with using 3 different framing schedules.  One for headers and beams,  one for ceiling joists  and rafters and one for wall framing.  I put them in CAD detail.  I have noticed that when dealing with the CAD detail with the 3 schedules it is getting very slow.

would you concur and do you think this will slow down THE PLAN?

I tried it in both CAD detail and Plan and it significantly slowed things down in both , if I enabled ALL the "Types" available to the Schedule, ( so only enable exactly what you need perhaps) but haven't really played too much more with it ......may need to export to Excel or something then delete in Plan (?) to speed it up again.

17 minutes ago, dshall said:

would you concur and do you think this will slow down THE PLAN?

11 hours ago, glennw said:

Mick,

FIR may be hard coded, but there is no problem changing the framing name from Fir to something else.

Or...I guess you want automatic, which would be ideal.

New Image_177.jpg

Yes I meant Automatic as you can as you say change an individual entry in the ML....

I am guessing that perhaps a Ruby Expert maybe able to leverage it in the ML in X10 ? but personally don't think that should be needed....

M.