Ruby Question

Doug_N

In doing some ruby stuff to automate information required by building department code examiners, so I wrote a bit of simple code

388193403_realcode.thumb.jpg.8c037037aa8535d23c209cfcea230f16.jpg

678376773_Coderef.thumb.jpg.00b1b8c394def27d040ce0d723c38213.jpg

to get this. 1601429432_PlanView.thumb.jpg.b1306d1a39136e90f8d9ca3d7af2504e.jpg

But I need that in an elevation, not in a plan view.  No joy it seems.  

1242400075_Darnitdoesntwork.thumb.jpg.8de66e9df68e94b2170254d585a3dee3.jpg

Anyone know why this is?

real code.jpg

Basically because in Elevation the arrow is selecting the "Exterior Room", not the "Window".

The only way I know of to get that in an Elevation View is by putting the macro in the Window Label and making the macro "Owner Object".  It's more complicated though because then the macro would also be displayed in the Plan View.  That means you have to have the macro display a different result in Plan View than in Elevation View and the macro has to have a way of knowing what the Current View is.

I can do it but it's a bit complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Doug, Here's a fairly simple method:

In elevation view, draw a polyline the size of the window directly over the window. Turn on "polyline labels" and use your newly created macro as the label. Depending on your settings, you may need to create a new text style for that label and of course I'd suggest giving this polyline it's own layer, or placing it on the 'window' layer.

I use this all the time to help me with my glazed opening calculations. I have macros that will display the area in metric and / or imperial.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Hey Doug, Here's a fairly simple method:

In elevation view, draw a polyline the size of the window directly over the window. Turn on "polyline labels" and use your newly created macro as the label. Depending on your settings, you may need to create a new text style for that label and of course I'd suggest giving this polyline it's own layer, or placing it on the 'window' layer.

I use this all the time to help me with my glazed opening calculations. I have macros that will display the area in metric and / or imperial.

Hey Rob, 

thanks for the suggestion.  That is a pretty good way to tackle the problem.  Using an independent layer will allow this to be shown in some views, and not others but still see the window label.