How Many Annotation Sets Do You Use

RGWhite

In reading the post about annotation sets and the time saving they have on producing plans, it occurred to me that the ones that come with CA are not enough since everyone seems to make their own.  So could someone weight in on the types of annotation sets they have produced outside of the stock program.  Thanks

I posted a poll a few weeks ago concerning # of anno-sets

they range from Chief's OOB to 36+

my recommendation is to start with Chief's OOB and then add anno-sets

as you find a need

only go for the 36+ right away if you develop serious sets of condocs

like Joe and a few others do

CA never intended a 1:1 relationship between layersets and anno-sets

but the "power" users have gravitated in that direction

Lew

22 plus two OOB- mostly one to one- just doing interior work so different needs than many of you

Fiddled with them for a while to begin with- once I had a good idea and the import annosets was getting messy I set up a spread sheet to clarify my thinking and needs.

Here's where they are now- may eliminate one or two but keep the layersets but the "using active defaults" makes me edgy.

(Meat and potatoes for me)

1 Cab All    
1 Cab Base    To work on base alone and dimensions just Base
1 Cab Wall    To work on and dimensions just Wall Cabs
1 CabMap    No labels, no dims, plain English descriptions for clients
1 Guides    aid in placement
1 No Counter    less clutter
2 Cab Base (cab 2change default  ) same as above but when adding new finish- still shows first ones  
2 Cab Wall  ditto  
Counters    - send for quotes
Detail 1.5   
Detail 3   

(following are for remodel- dims locate wall surface, casings, show demo layer)
E Existing   
E Lights    
E Remod Demo    
E Remod Electric    
E Remod Frame    
E Remod Mechanical  

(New construction-locate framing, and roughs)
N_Arch New    
N_Electric Anno New    
N_Framing Anno New    

also have

Y-For Cad (to send view to cad for detail)

Y-for 2020 to send just a simple wall view-no layers or dims sent to CAD to import into 2020 allows quick wall draw and  layout to get rough price.

(OOB-don't really use these but kept em in case)
Z_1/2” Scale Annotation    
Z_1/4” Scale Annotation    

Fewer is generally better. Keep them to as small a number as you can and it will be a lot less work to manage.

This is a very good tip.  But the question is,  why would we have so many layer sets?  Because we find they are very useful when building a model.  I do not think anybody adds layer sets for the fun of it.

So the number of layer sets are determined by the way we work.  Now the question is can we minimize the number of anno sets.  Yes,  I believe the number of anno sets can be minimized because one anno set may work with many different layer sets.

So for those that do not link anno sets to layer sets,  this works very well.  But for those of us that link anno sets and layer sets together,   this does not work very well.   Thus,  layer sets should be king.  Anno sets should not be king.  If we all notice,  most power users have more layer sets than anno sets......  layer sets should be king.

I know,  I am beating the drum to a deaf audience.

As one "great man" said,  ( I think it was Jim Lawes),  Anno sets being King is like the tail wagging the dog..........  "great man" .... may be a little over the top but who cares,  let's call Jim a "Great Man" for this argument.

• Upvote 2

I don't have an opinion either way as to which should be "king" but I think annosets are more for condocs, while layersets are for both condocs and the design process, which might explain why there are so many more layersets.  Your can't annotate in 3D views, but having varying layersets in different 3D views is very helpful during the design process, which aren't the same layersets you want for condoc views.

I don't have an opinion either way as to which should be "king" but I think annosets are more for condocs, while layersets are for both condocs and the design process, which might explain why there are so many more layersets.  Your can't annotate in 3D views, but having varying layersets in different 3D views is very helpful during the design process, which aren't the same layersets you want for condoc views.

Bingo! Well stated.

Said it before, but will again just since we're on this topic again-

It would be great if we could just have the Layers DBX open all the time (maybe on a separate monitor) and turn things on and off on the fly instead of click, scroll, click, click every time we want to change the layers we are seeing.

• Upvote 2

It would be great if we could just have the Layers DBX open all the time (maybe on a separate monitor) and turn things on and off on the fly instead of click, scroll, click, click every time we want to change the layers we are seeing.

A HUGE YES!!

So badly needed in a modern day software application.

Changing a layer only requires:

1:  Click on the layer DBX

2.  Hit the letter key for the first letter of the layer (F for framing) and hold the key down until it hits the right layer (framing, trusses).

3.  Click on the layer.

This has never been much of a problem for me.

Changing a layer only requires:

1:  Click on the layer DBX

2.  Hit the letter key for the first letter of the layer (F for framing) and hold the key down until it hits the right layer (framing, trusses).

3.  Click on the layer.

This has never been much of a problem for me.

4. Click OK to close the layer dbx in order to see your changes.

Given the number of times I do this every day, I see a significant improvement in efficiency (not to mention lessening the annoyance factor) by just moving my mouse over to the always open dbx and click what I want to on or off and see the results immediately without having to close the dbx.  I can understand that those without multiple monitors might not want it open all the time but fail to see the downside of having the option to.

• Upvote 1

Huge Yes Too!

Yes please, more professional menus, this windows tab dbx thing is stone age and makes chief look like toy compared to more modern programs.   

#1 issue and time waster on my list.  

What is that reason? Assuming redraws will always be getting faster and faster, I can't see how this could be considered a step backwards.  Why does one more click make that difference?  You can currently switch entire layersets without opening this modal window, you just can't change specific layers within the layerset.  I admit multiple monitors are pretty much required for this to be effective, but that is more and more the norm I think, especially given plummeting monitor prices.  And, it could just be an option, the way they undocked the library and project browser, but these may still be docked if so desired.

There is a reason why the Layer DBX is a Modal Window. One way or another the screen will need a redraw once a layer is turned off or on, an edit is made, or some other action having effect on one or more layers. Be careful what you ask for as it wouldn't be the first time a new action or feature was a step or two backwards rather than forward.

Isn't that covered by the request for an "Apply" button as well?

Maybe you're right.  They've been known to take that approach before I think.  :ph34r:   

As just one example of what I am talking about is that I don't typically show roof planes on my floor plans in condocs, but I do like to have them on during the design process, and since the two are constantly overlapping each other, I find I want to go in and turn them on, then turn them off, then turn them on again, etc. several times over the course of a period of work.  Now, I could set up another layerset, or maybe even another annoset for that to cut down on clicks but like I said, this is just one minor example of dozens of particular situations where I want to turn a particular layer on, then off, then on again all the time.  I would just have too many layersets or annosets to remember what does what.

Just hard to see the downside of a more active, on the fly layerset dbx, at least as an option, other than maybe it's just more of a programming nightmare than I imagine.

• Upvote 1

As just one example of what I am talking about is that I don't typically show roof planes on my floor plans in condocs, but I do like to have them on during the design process, and since the two are constantly overlapping each other, I find I want to go in and turn them on, then turn them off, then turn them on again, etc. several times over the course of a period of work.  Now, I could set up another layerset, or maybe even another annoset for that to cut down on clicks but like I said, this is just one minor example of dozens of particular situations where I want to turn a particular layer on, then off, then on again all the time.  I would just have too many layersets or annosets to remember what does what.

Just hard to see the downside of a more active, on the fly layerset dbx, at least as an option, other than maybe it's just more of a programming nightmare than I imagine.

I work within that exact same parameter and run into the exact same annoyance.

It might be hard to program but is that a good reason to not have a very, very good feature that increases productivity? Maybe. Maybe not.

I've seen other software apps that have an 'apply' button and others that have an interactive dbx that applies changes without closing the dbx. Hard to program? Again, maybe, but worth it to this user.

Bryce,

What about the "Layer Hider" Button to turn the Layer off?  I have it on my Toolbar along with "Layer Eyedropper" & "Layer Painter".  Of course that doesn't do any good for "Layer Show" - No Such Button ;)

Yeah, only gets you half way there.  The whole point is the on AND off.  Just as I've been working since my last comment, I find I also want this for Walls, Invisible, and Walls, Attic Walls all the time.

Bryce,

I've done this with my Layouts by having an Annoset/Layerset combination for when I'm working on the Plan & Layout - and another for when I want to print.  My working version has grid lines, file information, instructions on putting things together, etc (basically stuff for my reference) displayed that I don't want in the printed docs.