Deck newels and posts

Caddyman

Hi All,

I have been fighting this for years with chief. I do a lot of decks and screen porches with stacked decks below (basement level). A frustration I have is the inability to move a newel or post with in a railing wall to a desired location dynamically. It would also be great if newels and posts would show up on the reference layer or maybe there is a way to show it an I have missed it somewhere.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

your not missing anything, what I do is put a break line in the wall where I want to have a post the only problem is what post you have as a default shows up, if I only want a short post I make my spans between the support post wider and put  in a short post where I want and not putting a break in the wall, this and many more request have been put in at no avail so but in your feature request if they get enough maybe something will change over pretty pictures time for sme construction document updates

I usually avoid railing walls and place my posts manually.gives me full control of everything. Most of the time decks I do aren't too simple so workflow is faster. They can show on reference layer if need be as well. Another solution if you want to see Chief's newels would be to place a cad cross box over them and then copy paste hold position to lower/upper floor.

Thanks. It sounds like we are all in the same boat. I brought this up last year at the user group meeting. I like the wall rail options but it could be more productive to be able to customize the posts/newels with a click and drag method. At the very least to be able to use snaps to dimension or draw a post above or below a rail newel or post. 

• Upvote 1

I'm very used to making my own posts out of polys. This is because of all the pole structures I do in Chief,,,,,,, therefore I do same with decks with complicated load bearing. Posts in library are symbols ( place them as such ) and can be moved very nicely and can be put on a custom layer. Get away from wanting it all automatic or 1 button and done,,,,,,,,, sometimes its faster too.