How to update details saved in user catalog

capitaldesigns

I came from AutoCAD background. In AutoCAD details and notes are saved as .DWG as are the drawing sheets. So in AutoCAD I would open the detail just Iike I would open a drawing. Then make the changes and save. In Chief the saved details and notes do not appear to be saved as a .PLAN file. I tried unsuccessfully to find the folder for the saved details and notes in Windows Explorer.

I trying it as you said. I started a new plan, went to the user catalog I placed a detail in the plan, made change, highlighted detail, made into block. I do not see the command to re-save. It looks like I would have to create a new detail by clicking on the "Add the selected object to the library". This will place the revised detail in a different folder with the name

"Block-2". I guess I will have to rename the detail to the correct name then delete the old detail then move the revised detail to the correct folder. Is this correct ? If so, a lot of steps to make a change to a typical detail.

Or is there a way just to open the detail, make the change and save ?

Thanks,

Mike

18 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

I trying it as you said. I started a new plan, went to the user catalog I placed a detail in the plan, made change, highlighted detail, made into block. I do not see the command to re-save. It looks like I would have to create a new detail by clicking on the "Add the selected object to the library". This will place the revised detail in a different folder with the name

"Block-2". I guess I will have to rename the detail to the correct name then delete the old detail then move the revised detail to the correct folder. Is this correct ? If so, a lot of steps to make a change to a typical detail.

Yes that is just about the way it is for now. A little clunky with lots of extra steps unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

Or is there a way just to open the detail, make the change and save ?

You can have details in Cad Detail Management which will index in your Project Browser.  This may function a bit more like you are describing in AutoCad.  These can be organized in an warehouse plan and sent to layout from there or copied into a customer plan file and edited and then sent to layout.

You would need to do some searching for previous forum discussions of methods and pro's and con's of each.

16 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You can have details in Cad Detail Management which will index in your Project Browser.  This may function a bit more like you are describing in AutoCad.  These can be organized in an warehouse plan and sent to layout from there or copied into a customer plan file and edited and then sent to layout.

This is the way I currently do it. I think Joe Carrick and others put me on to this some time back.

1 minute ago, Ridge_Runner said:

This is the way I currently do it. I think Joe Carrick and others put me on to this some time back.

Mike, do you keep your cad details in your template or use a warehouse plan so you don't get bogged down ?

5 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Mike, do you keep your cad details in your template or use a warehouse plan so you don't get bogged down ?

I do both. I sometimes do a type of "hybrid" for some details. If I have a plan that is not too large in size I may copy the details from my warehouse plan into a CAD detail in the current plan I'm working on and send to layout from there (keeps the size of the backups down) ; I guess that's a carryover from the old way. But the plans I do that are larger I will just send the details from the warehouse plan to layout. I always do a full backup from Layout; that way any warehouse plans are backed up along with the main plan.

I use several "Warehouse Plans" based on the "CAD Block Template". 

1. Each "Warehouse Plan" is named for the type of Details.
  2. Each Detail is then Saved in a named "CAD Detail Window".

It's a simple matter of sending the details to Layout.  Anytime a detail is modified it will be updated in every layout in which it has been used.

Chopsaw, I have been saving my details to the in the library under user catalog. I have not heard of a warehouse plan. If I am understanding you correctly, you are creating a plan file and naming it something like details, foundation details, roof details, etc. All of your typical details are on this plan. You then send the details needed to the layout page you are currently working on. When making a revision to a detail will be done on the detail plan which will be quicker than making a change to the details in the user library. Is this correct ?

Thanks, Mike

One thing I have noticed about this idea. When you physically draw all the details on the same plan, and send those individual details to different parts of your layout, Chief slows WAY down. I'm not sure if Joe does it this way and incurrs the same slow down. Maybe he keeps all his 1/4" scalel details grouped together and then send that to one sheet together?

My work around has been to still keep all details in one plan file, but they are details in the cad detail management area, not on the plan. They are then sent to layout from there. It's weird though. When you open you detail plan file it looks blank. The details are there, just not on the page. No slow down incurred. Chief is probably going to give us a preview box in the next release of the details in the Cad Detail Management dialogue, just like we already have for the Cad Block Management dialogue box. 

Edward,

• I create the details at a scale of 1"=1'-0" using Level 1 of the Detail Plan(s). 
  • Then I create a "CAD Detail from View" in a new "CAD Detail Window". 
  • Each Detail is then in it's own named CAD Detail Window and has no 3D data.  It's just pure 2D CAD.

That means that when I send those Details to Layout there's very little degradation in performance. 

Also, all of my Details share the same Scale, Layer Set & Annoset.

I don't know for sure which of these commonalities are most responsible for maintaining higher performance levels but it works for me.