Glass shower door in glass wall above curb and pony wall

Ver1tas

9 hours ago, Dermot said:

"I created a Pony Wall with a 6" tall lower wall and an appropriate width (5-1/4") "Nothing" wall above..."

I can see no reason to use a pony wall, which Chief uses to build two separate wall types, and then try to force the program to make one of them go away.  There are several ways to adjust the wall so that it doesn't go up to the ceiling or down to the floor.  You can simply adjust the height in an elevation view, adding break points where needed, or place openings into the wall (using pass-thrus or doorways).  For modeling a shower curb, I would simply use the half-wall tool (aka a solid rail) as Steve shows in his video.

Regarding Steve's video, I would probably never use a polyline solid for a wall cap since solid rails already have an automatic wall cap.  The wall cap can have a separate material and overhangs if you like and it will always stay with the wall unlike a polyline solid.  I would also not create a new wall type with just a single layer for a tile wall.  I would encourage you to model the wall similar to how you would build it in the real world by using a framing layer in the center and tile layers on the outside with something like a cement backboard to mount the tile to.  This will be much more realistic and allow you to generate more accurate dimensions, framing, and material lists.

I have to disagree with Dermot. I wish he were correct...but the software just doesn't work the way he thinks it does.  Watch my video...which I did in X11 for insights.

Maybe I've goofed...if I have please tell me what I can do to make the software do what I want it to do.  I'm not saying I'm some kind of expert...truly.

Good try Eric...but, Chief X whatever still doesn't work well for things like this.  The 2D plan view is not what I would want...and the corner with the glass return showing is not what I would want if there isn't a door in the opening.  If there was a door...well, possibly.

1765144328_EricShower1.thumb.png.fbd4b197b344be45e83b5b8ac7b509c4.png   743981922_EricShower2.thumb.png.a5638ef5ef97aedad127cffafdfde05e.png

24 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Couldn't  you just use a doorway for that?

doorway method.PNG

You could...try putting it right to the intersection of the two walls.  You will get a piece of glass return.  It’s just not accurate.

Your example is perfect if the opening is off the corner.   

40 minutes ago, SNestor said:

You could...try putting it right to the intersection of the two walls.  You will get a piece of glass return.  It’s just not accurate.

Your example is perfect if the opening is off the corner.   

got it, in that case I might just use 2 separate walls and a p-solid for the opening and an invisable room divider if you need a room defined.

13 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

got it, in that case I might just use 2 separate walls and a p-solid for the opening and an invisable room divider if you need a room defined.

Yes...I completely agree with you.  That’s the way to do it.