lap top purchase

CajunChip

Depends on -is it primary machine for all day use= as much power as you can afford. (3yr old Sager listed in signature-desktop proecessor- new would be 9700k with a 1080 and as much else as I could afford)

Secondary for client visits = lighter, little less power and heat dissipation good enough for 2 hrs of moderate use-(8750H with a 1060) I usually take the Sager but have used the Spectre if work is light weight but rely more on ready done drawings/pdf/images with that.

Secondary for site work only = light and portable suitable for just roughing in plans ( I use the Spectre for this often running X9)

Doing lots of renderings? ray trace = more processor, or PBR = more video card or just standard views? 

In most cases the first thing I try to find out is how well a machine handles heat, the better ti does the longer it can be used without throttling. I'm also a fan of SSDs but prefer to have checked and see no advantage of having really big ones for storage but have found that having two smaller ones in Raid 0 appears to speed up undo (but that is only available in upper end machines)

I've gotten fond of a couple of dealers that specialize in gaming machines- the current Sager was from Xoticpc, my next one will come from Hidevolution. Both have people you can talk with though neither knows much about Chief. Being on my second Sager and third laptop using Chief I have a bit of a base line to talk with them about. I also research machines on NotebookReview.com. forums. Lot of gamers so some information is not relevant, but a little digging finds heat issues and oddities not in typical reviews.

23 hours ago, MarkMc said:

heat dissipation good enough for 2 hrs of moderate use-(8750H with a 1060)

From my research, MSI currently has the best cooling solution for this combo.....in the US both Best Buy and NewEgg carry exclusive Models at good prices.

M.

24 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

From my research, MSI currently has the best cooling solution for this combo.....in the US both Best Buy and NewEgg carry exclusive Models at good prices.

M.

I"ve also seen that in this class MSI have good heat dissipation. Note that similar prices on these can be had at HIDevolution with the added benefit of more extensive customization-change RAM, SSD, thermal options and more models. (FWIW they still list Back Friday deals that were to expire yesterday-and sing up to the forums at notebook review they offer a discount for the forum last I knew-though that could have been on the EVoc series only?)