Crown Molding on a Sloped Ceiling

Chloe1Casey

I know I am just being an idiot but I have searched through this forum and I cannot find an answer.

I have a room where the ceiling is sloped (single slope) and the slope is defined by the roof above it. I am trying to put crown molding around the room but when I go to the room dbx and choose molding, I pick a profile and define it as crown but it wants me to define its distance from the floor. Obviously that is different for each location along the walls. Is there a way to tell it that I want it just below the ceiling - whatever height that is?

3 hours ago, javatom said:

Do yourself a favor and don't be the designer that specified crown molding on a sloped ceiling.  The only way in the real world to do this is with transition blocks and it looks really bad.

:-)  I am not doing actual crown molding. The customer currently has a T&G natural wood ceiling with a small coved strip around the edge to hide where the boards meet the sheetrock at the walls.  The cove is falling down and we are going to be painting the wood so I am going to just put a 5/8" x 1-1/2" strip where the wall meets the ceiling to replace the cove.

I did a plan for a client back in late eighties and then trimmed the house  for him. He had a pool room (game room) and when I trimmed the house he decided he wanted crown in that room. I did it, but swore i would never do it again. To this day I have not. It is a real PITA. Merry Christmas guys and a Great New Year