Remodeling Estimate Using Chief X10

Lisamwillard

Hi everyone, 

To help me design and remodel homes for our clients and stay within a particular budget. What is the best way to learn to know how much my project is going to be? I briefly saw where I can input all my materials and costs but I need extensive training in this area. Where do I begin to self teach? 

As a builder I can tell you the only “real” way to know what a home will cost is to send plans out to each and every subtrade and get them to quote on the job. Then you can have a true cost analysis. After that you can study and understand how each trade charges and then use this info to populate a spreadsheet based on a multiple variables, like, square footage, quantities for concrete, sheet rock, plumbing and electrical fixtures etc. 

It’s a big job. 

There is no program in the world that will do that work for you in an accurate way that will apply to how you build in your area and at what local cost for materials are. 

Note: Chief Material List is only as good as the Chief model

CA states this in the manual

the more "workarounds" you use the less accurate the model

any "complex" material list derived from a Chief plan will probably require export to Excel for manual manipulation

I was studying this area some a decade ago and decided a working partner with software like PlanSwift or Cadest (not sure available anymore)

would be a better choice to go

https://www.planswift.com/

Lew

I understand CA is going to be improving their takeoff capabilities in the next release.

In the meantime you might want to check out some online estimate programs. Ie.

https://www.rsmeans.com/free-trial.aspx

You can use some of the info from the X10 material list to help you build estimates quickly using assemblies.  RS Means uses your project location to generate costs in your area.

12 hours ago, parkwest said:

I understand CA is going to be improving their takeoff capabilities in the next release.

In the meantime you might want to check out some online estimate programs. Ie.

https://www.rsmeans.com/free-trial.aspx

You can use some of the info from the X10 material list to help you build estimates quickly using assemblies.  RS Means uses your project location to generate costs in your area.

improved takeoff capabilitys where did you here that

Just remember for remodeling plans you have to separate new walls and all other items from anything existing, that can be quite a process if your not set up for it. I think Chief might have a remodeling template to give you a good start at it.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Just remember for remodeling plans you have to separate new walls and all other items from anything existing, that can be quite a process if your not set up for it. I think Chief might have a remodeling template to give you a good start at it.

This is why I don't spend the time with material lists.  It would be so much work to "get the model right".

Somehow these remodeling contractors have been pretty good about sticking a wet finger in the air and coming up with a number.  Why would I  want to get in the way of that expertise?

• Upvote 1