Font Differences Btw Win7 & Win8

Richard_Morrison

Go to solution Solved by Dan_Park,

I've been working on a project in Win8. When I opened the project in Win7, the text blocks are just SLIGHTLY larger than the Win8 version. (In length, not width) Longer text blocks are proportionally more "off" than shorter ones. I don't know if the difference is in the line spacing or the fonts themselves, but it causes some longer blocks to go slightly over their grid line boxes in Layout in Win7. These are exactly the same font files. (I know since I copied them from the same files.)

Anyone experience this and have a fix? Tech Support had no clue. I have tried text blocks on layouts started in X5, as well as X6 native layouts, and the behavior is the same.  

If everything is the same otherwise, ie the same version of Chief, I would then suspect either Cleartype or antialiasing has had slight adjustments between the Windows versions. I noticed myself that a room label in chief is not antialiased, but if I convert the text to a text block it is.

I don't have access to Chief at the moment, but there is a setting somewhere called something like use cad text style or similar. It could have a completely different name, but you will know when you find it - probably in text defaults.

Maybe it is set differently for each Chief version.

• Solution

Richard,

I have seen issues with this where the Windows Text size was set differently causing display issues from one computer to another.

In Windows 7 this is in: 

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display

Where you adjust your font display size. This display size affects how the GDI draws fonts and can affect how fonts display on Windows.

(You can see small differences going to MAC from Windows as well.)

I have also seen some Windows 8 computers shipped with defaults that set the text size to 125% instead of the default 100%. This is typically with small high dpi screens,

You should verify that these settings are the same on both computers.

• Upvote 1