Door Jambs in X6

Klassen_Rem

Noticed today that if casings are turned ott, the jamb disappears from a door.  Try this, and you'll note that the jamb selection is grayed-out.

This was posted in the old forum at http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?65511-X6-Exterior-Door-Defaults-not-working&highlight=door+jamb

- As some have already commented, the wealth of knowledge and or bugs found could be lost now that the old forum is esssentially locked.

Workaround if casings aren't wanted:  Leave casings on, but set width to zero.  Not sure what this might do in the Materials List, but at least it makes the door look correct in a render view.  In the link above, this was noted for exterior doors;  same happens for interior doors:  No casing, no jamb.

I'd say that was a bug, huh???

Ron Klassen

Wallner Builders

Chief Architect since ver 9, now X6

From what I can tell, the jambs, at least for doors in exterior walls, only disappears when the "exterior" casing is unchecked.  The jamb is retained if only the "interior" casing is unchecked.  Doors in interior walls only have the option to uncheck the interior casing .... the exterior casing is greyed out.  If you put a window in an interior wall, both the interior and exterior casings are available for display or not displaying and if you uncheck either one or both, the jamb still displays.  Go figure.  Why are interior windows programmed differently than interior doors with respect to the display of casing?

For windows, I am able to uncheck bot the interior and exterior casings and the jamb's display is unaffected.

I didn't go check out the previous thread.

If you just don't want the casings to display in plan, you could just change the properties of the casing lines is Display Options.

From what I can tell, the jambs, at least for doors in exterior walls, only disappears when the "exterior" casing is unchecked.  The jamb is retained if only the "interior" casing is unchecked.  Doors in interior walls only have the option to uncheck the interior casing .... the exterior casing is greyed out.  If you put a window in an interior wall, both the interior and exterior casings are available for display or not displaying and if you uncheck either one or both, the jamb still displays.  Go figure.  Why are interior windows programmed differently than interior doors with respect to the display of casing?

For windows, I am able to uncheck bot the interior and exterior casings and the jamb's display is unaffected.

I didn't go check out the previous thread.

If you just don't want the casings to display in plan, you could just change the properties of the casing lines is Display Options.

I sure hope this get changed for those of us who do custom work. It would be a great time saver to be able to control this. Also it would be great to have a jamb that is a true shape other than just a rectangle.

I have previously complained about the door jambs being just a rectangle - next to useless in my opinion.

99% of the door jambs we use in Oz would be rebated or double rebated.

The only time when we would use a non-rebated jamb would be for a sliding pocket or face sliding door.

Glen

While I agree that a rebated jamb would be good, the rectangular jambs we now have are a much overdue addition. Hopefully this is a first step.

You are correct but for ease of detailing it would be great to have a rabit (sp).