LAPTOP help, 1060 vs 1070 card

limitless8

You are right about Origins options.

I meant big name workstations like Lenovo, Dell, MSI.  I wasn't clear on that, sorry.  ( I could still be wrong about that)

Yeah, if you get the bulkier case you can get more powerful GP cards in an origin for sure, they have good options like any good custom reseller should.  

Hopefully I get a good vibe from their sales guy.  

The XoticPC sales guy was great, talked to me for way longer than he should have, super friendly and informative, if I buy a sager or MSI I'd probably get it from them at this point.

21 minutes ago, M-Ferioli said:

Looks like it's actually a TONGFANG chassis though.

I thought they might be but Mark is more up on Laptops than me.....They are one of Clevo's main competitors and are also used by Eluktronics , CyberPower and OverPowered (Walmart) and a number of Other Brands...

Bob of All Trades has reviewed a few of their Products on his YT Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/satanjamez/search?query=tong+fang

NBR review:   http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/over-powered-15-lp2-tongfang-gk5cn6z-benchmarks-temps.826919/

I was just looking at the Electronics version when you posted, interesting that they offer a battery option that Origin does not. 

Thanks for sharing that youtube channel, his review video was a really good look at the cooling abilities.  I like the brushed aluminum version he had versus the black.  

Now I have to see who is the best vendor for this machine as far as customer support and warranty issues.

I'm also hoping that I don't find anymore computers to compare, this rabbit hole is deep enough already!

21 minutes ago, M-Ferioli said:

I'm also hoping that I don't find anymore computers to compare, this rabbit hole is deep enough already!

It's a deep hole , I can attest to that......

I also looked at this new Asus as it's 17" screen is IPS like ( my eyes don't do TN) and it is about the same as a 15.6" in size and getting good reviews , has thin bezels with a small bonus in that Win10 uses 100% scaling on a 17".......  There is a very similar new MSI but it has not been available locally.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-hKvT9exc

At NBR :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-asus-rog-strix-scar-ii-gl704gm-dh74-owner’s-lounge.826087/

Check the Full Model number though as there seems to be a few different models etc on NBR....

I noticed the 17" thin bezels were looking pretty manageable size wise.  I really want to consider those since that screen size would be really nice if I could get away with it.  

That opens up a whole new rabbit hole...Thanks! :)

I think I'm going to see if I can run AnyDesk for this trip so I can wait until all these machines update to RTX instead of seeing all kinds of versions and weird pre order stuff.  I picked the worst possible time to try and find something.  

12 hours ago, M-Ferioli said:

I noticed the 17" thin bezels were looking pretty manageable size wise.  I really want to consider those since that screen size would be really nice if I could get away with it.  

In the BOAT video he puts it in his 15.6" laptop bag ...just....though he says the bag he had on hand was smaller than some.... I see Origins new Models are going thin bezel and IPS too....

If budget isn't so important waiting for the new models to come out in the next 3-6 months maybe a good idea , it may also push the price down on some existing models as new lines come out so that maybe good too for some.

Thanks for your response.  From the look of the thread it seems to be a common concern.  It's not clear to me whether there is / has been real success in running CA on any kind of ultrabook let alone a Surface Book 2.  It will be interesting to see if the light weights can handle the heat.

1 hour ago, Walde77 said:

Thanks for your response.  From the look of the thread it seems to be a common concern.  It's not clear to me whether there is / has been real success in running CA on any kind of ultrabook let alone a Surface Book 2.  It will be interesting to see if the light weights can handle the heat.

I do field measures with the Spectre in my signature and occasionally a quick fiddle usually with X9. It will run X10 but slower.  Kitchen Adobe also uses a slightly older model for presentations I believe. Would not want to do heavy lifting. 

It will be interesting to see what the new crop does this year. 

10 hours ago, Walde77 said:

My recommendation here is that if this is to be your primary work system then you need to accept the reality that lighter ultrabook laptops are not likely going to be your best choice. You really should only consider desk top type laptops that have desktop processors and higher end discrete graphics cards, the tradeoff for this performance will be size and weight, there is really no way around this reality.

For myself I use two systems, a desktop for my primary work and then a lightweight ultrabook type laptop for client presentations. This works for me as I do not do design work during client visits, the ultrabook just needs to be sufficient to show the designs and other support pics and documentation.

So the magical day of buying a laptop to have on the go is almost here, and I have narrowed it finally down to one laptop, the MSI gs65 stealth thin with a 1070 card, 32gb of ram, and a 512 ssd.  Being a true tech fan...always, always last second something comes along, and it did.  Now I don't know why but I am playing around with the thought of getting a Huawei matebook pro X, which has no gpu per say mx150, but it's form factor and design just got me, and I thought of adding a aorus gaming box with a 1070 card, and it would come out to the same price as a MSI...The natural issue becomes carrying the EGPU around, but logic and reason are saying it's a dumb idea because the MSI has it all inside, future proofing for some time...So yeah, just wanted to throw that out there, once I get the laptop I'll definitely post my thoughts and how it all works out.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:16 AM, limitless8 said:

So the magical day of buying a laptop to have on the go is almost here, and I have narrowed it finally down to one laptop, the MSI gs65 stealth thin with a 1070 card, 32gb of ram, and a 512 ssd.  Being a true tech fan...always, always last second something comes along, and it did.  Now I don't know why but I am playing around with the thought of getting a Huawei matebook pro X, which has no gpu per say mx150, but it's form factor and design just got me, and I thought of adding a aorus gaming box with a 1070 card, and it would come out to the same price as a MSI...The natural issue becomes carrying the EGPU around, but logic and reason are saying it's a dumb idea because the MSI has it all inside, future proofing for some time...So yeah, just wanted to throw that out there, once I get the laptop I'll definitely post my thoughts and how it all works out.

another review to consider perhaps ..depending on budget......

I know you like Desktop CPU's Mark so the Dell may interest you perhaps...

M.

https://amp.laptopmag.com/articles/alienware-area-51-vs-msi-gt75-titan

So, having seen a few videos recently, this actually could be a solution for many people, price is probably going to be around 3,000$, but it's pretty much a portable desktop

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Mothership-GZ700/

I will probably for now stick to buying the MSI gs65 stealth, up until then I first want to update my 980 to a 2070, don't see the point in a 2080 when the specs are almost identical, and change my main ssd where chief is to a 1tb nvme.  Afterwards get a laptop for work abroad

7 hours ago, limitless8 said:

So, having seen a few videos recently, this actually could be a solution for many people, price is probably going to be around 3,000$, but it's pretty much a portable desktop

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Mothership-GZ700/

I will probably for now stick to buying the MSI gs65 stealth, up until then I first want to update my 980 to a 2070, don't see the point in a 2080 when the specs are almost identical, and change my main ssd where chief is to a 1tb nvme.  Afterwards get a laptop for work abroad

Interesting concept , looks like they stole alot of design cues from Microsoft's Surface Products ....only the ROG will have alot better performance.

I have a 1070Ti and so far it has handled everything Chief I have thrown at it without issue , it actually overclocks nicely to 1080 levels but I don't run it that hard for Chief , no need, it was actually a RMA replacement for a (failed) overheating 980ti from EVGA.

M.

• Like 1

Yeah they stole the concept from Microsoft, and saw a few videos the idea came out that with this positioning, it would get more air and cool better.  Considering the specs it pretty much is a desktop that you can carry around, sure 5kg isn't a feather, but my desktop weighs around 20kg probably without the screens :)  I am actually looking at the EVGA RTX 2070, actually had this dreamy thought of maybe selling my rig, adding on top and building something new up based on a 2950x, seeing as I am considering maybe getting lumion or another render engine, to see if I can get anything more out of it all.

4 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

Yeah they stole the concept from Microsoft, and saw a few videos the idea came out that with this positioning, it would get more air and cool better.  Considering the specs it pretty much is a desktop that you can carry around, sure 5kg isn't a feather, but my desktop weighs around 20kg probably without the screens :)  I am actually looking at the EVGA RTX 2070, actually had this dreamy thought of maybe selling my rig, adding on top and building something new up based on a 2950x, seeing as I am considering maybe getting lumion or another render engine, to see if I can get anything more out of it all.

I have used EVGA Cards alot over the Years , at one point they even gave there GFX cards Lifetime Warranties , and secondary Owners were fully supported as the Warranty was on the card and base on manufacturing Date , not the name on the Receipt, but alot has changed in the last 12-18 mths due to Crypto Miners abusing the System and 2nd hand Owners making alot of Claim due to mining cards failing. They have even gone so far as to only ship by Ground now in Nth.America too. That being said I don't think they are any worse than Other Manufacturers and they do have a good Public Forum too....maybe worth you joining and asking a few questions about the exact model you are considering....

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-20-Series-f107.aspx

16 hours ago, Electromen said:

Core speed is a huge factor with CA, as well as read write speed...wouldn't recommend it.

I'd rather have a quad core at 3.6ghz that has an m.2 nvme drive or at least expandable/upgradable m.2

16 hours ago, Electromen said:

well I don't agree, a hexa core processor will give him a lot more power than a quad core for sure, and well this has an ssd question is, is it nvme or not.  overall these tend to be thicker than a msi gs 65 or others so if you don't mind that, plus the design and what not...

personally as of late stores have begun to import the gigabyte aero 15x, so i think i will go with that instead of the msi

2 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

well I don't agree, a hexa core processor will give him a lot more power than a quad core for sure, and well this has an ssd question is, is it nvme or not.  overall these tend to be thicker than a msi gs 65 or others so if you don't mind that, plus the design and what not...

personally as of late stores have begun to import the gigabyte aero 15x, so i think i will go with that instead of the msi

I have a 14 core xeon at 2.2ghz overclocked to 2.5 

my quad core i-7 often times outperforms.

CA doesn't really utilize the extra cores...so I would not say that a hexacore at a lower/low clock speed would give more power for the intended application.

one of the largest upgrades for CA in terms of speed and usibility is a nvme drive, and a ramdisk drive, hands down

1 minute ago, limitless8 said:

well my hexacore at 4.4 does the job, but nowadays i'd probably go for a 2950x have that sucker at 4,1 running all 16 cores

at 4.4 thats stellar

if you ever take a look at your resource monitor, CA almost never utilizes more than 4 cores, and typically only 1-2:

649018149_resourcemonitor.thumb.PNG.8e03420329c76124a7809166e9a5e043.PNG

installing the new X-11 will see huge benefits by placing the temp and undo folders in a ramdisk utilizing something like AMDs free utility that backs the ramdisk up- another step would be to purchase a battery backup as a failsafe. You can also increase the pagefile with enough ram

if you have enough space to place the core libraries in available ramdisk as well as the user library- CA becomes screaming fast. 

My 5 year old laptop outperforms most desktops with the right configuring of file structures and allocation.

The only time I use 28 threads is in an external rendering program which I rarely ever get contracted to use as CAs PBR has become so formidable for most cases.

Yeah I forgot that nowadays the only time CA will use all cores at full speed is during ray tracing, and I haven't done that since PBR, so maybe a 16 core processor is just  not needed, but a 1080ti or 2080ti or something is now the more necessary component, seeing as PBR is heavy on the GPU