LAPTOP help, 1060 vs 1070 card

limitless8

So, I posted in a different topic I found regarding laptops, but thought it wouldn't hurt to maybe get some more coverage from all chiefers!

I am in the market to buy a laptop, seeing as I have come to move around more often, and need a mobile solution to update project details.

I haven't been on a laptop in ages, so I am open to hearing the experience all of you have had with a 1060 card laptop, and a 1070.  Seeing as I will be doing PBR images only, and that's all GPU nowadays.   I have forgotten what it's like to ray trace. )

I am definitely in the market for a 15 inch laptop, 6 cores, and well as said, which graphics card?  Ideally I would take a gigabyte aero 15x with 4k display and 1070, but with shipping and taxes it will come out more than I want to pay at the moment.

So far the top contenders are a ROG zephyrus new gen with normal keyboard layout, msi stealth 65, and even though I love the xps 4k display and color accuracy, the 1050ti just sounds like a 1.2 engine when you know you  need a v8 5.0...

So anybody who owns laptops with 1060 and 1070, and does PBR, let me know your thoughts of how much of a difference I would notice, in comparison to me using a 980 strix now on my workstation (which will be updated to a 1080 soon).

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

I use a fairly low end laptop for my work.  It is an i3 with integrated graphics and a standard HDD, not even a faster SSD.  When I work outisde my home office I am at a coffee shop or co-working space with internet access, and I use an app called AnyDesk to remote access my home office PC.  I run Chief remotely on the home office PC, and it does all the heavy lifting (see specs in my signature.)  I am able to spend half as much on a laptop this way, and it works just fine.  If you are going to be in range of wifi access anywhere you plan to work, this may be an option for you.  However, if you plan to do work out of range of wifi then you might want a powerful laptop.

I use a 1060 card in my PC, but have no experience with a laptop card.  My PC card has 6GB ram and has never been a bottleneck to my system.  I would imagine the laptop might run a little hot with that card, so I'm not sure if thermal throttling will be an issue for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OkcDesigner said:

Here is what I got in July. works very well, and same video card and mem as desk top.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-gu501gm-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hybrid-drive-128gb-ssd-brushed-black/6207900.p?skuId=6207900

A lower budget and in the middle of the two video cards you list.

So you ended up going with a 1060 zephyrus, it's one of the machines I listed, because paying extra for a 1070 version I wasn't sure about....a youtube reviewer also said that the zephyrus as much as hte battery life is less than the msi, but overall it's a better build.  How has your experience been with PBR if you do that, and do you use you objects from 3d sktechup?

Some really good testing done by notebookcheck.net if you haven't already been there.  Obviously they don't test CA but their testing is pretty extensive and also up to date on the type of laptop you are considering.  I'm also looking to at basically the same things you are, trying to take advantage of the current sales and pull the trigger soon.

Here is a link to a comparison article:  https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Slim-Light-Gaming-Laptops.126456.0.html

Im currently leaning toward the 1070 version of the GS65, mostly due to cost over the Aero15.

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, M-Ferioli said:

Some really good testing done by notebookcheck.net if you haven't already been there.  Obviously they don't test CA but their testing is pretty extensive and also up to date on the type of laptop you are considering.  I'm also looking to at basically the same things you are, trying to take advantage of the current sales and pull the trigger soon.

Here is a link to a comparison article:  https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Slim-Light-Gaming-Laptops.126456.0.html

Im currently leaning toward the 1070 version of the GS65, mostly due to cost over the Aero15.

Mike

Yeah the Gs65 is definitely something I'm looking at, even the p65 creators edition seems good, same thing diff colors ) Had this thought for a second of going with something like like a 1060 card, and getting a aorus external gpu box with a 1080.  I realize thats just money oout the window when you could just buy the gs65 with a 1070 or a zephyrus with a 1070

FYI:  I found that the non 4k gigabyte is $1700 after a 200$ mail in rebate.  That's less than I can find the GS65 or ASUS for.

I don't see the 4k as a big advantage for this work personally.  I'm really the only one that looks at my screen, a client would view a PDF version on whatever they have anyways.  But it might be worth it if you're sitting down with them regularly. 

I guess whoever gets one of these first will have to repost with a real world review.  I only use interiors though.

• Like 1

Yeah I have noticed that nobody really has one, and it's impossible to find anybody who reviews tech and would include a chief architect result :) I think I will stick with the zephyrus with a 1060 card, I think it will do the trick, and as another chiefer mentioned in a diff post, that use remote access to the home work station in case  I need some heavy duty lifting.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:19 PM, M-Ferioli said:

Let us know how it works out.  I think I'm going to delay my purchase for a bit so I'd love to hear a review from you.

Earliest that it will happen would be mid January, so if you got time, and once I buy one, I will definitely post my opinions and some results vs my desktop 980. Most my plans tend to have a lot of foreign objects from sketchup therefore the polyline counts go up, so we will see.  

Rashid, reason I am not looking at those are because they are too bulky and heavy, but if you are going for a desktop replacement I think it will serve it's purpose.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever buy anything?  I think I'm settled on a sager from Xoticpc.  Talked to a very friendly guy there today for way longer than I ever expected someone to chat with me for, sounds like they'll be easy to deal with if I have any issues.  The clevo case is not the best looking or probably the best built, but its the best bang for your buck and reliability seems good.  You can also pretty easily change the specs so you don't pay for more than you need/ want.  

I think Razer has the best chassis out there but you can spec a sager to the same performance and probably have less issues with customer service.  Looks like it'll be around $1850 USD, no tax or shipping for i7 8750 / gtx 1070maxQ / 16G ram / 144hz matte display / 256 NVME M.2 pcie primary storage with additional 2.5" drive bay.  I cannot find anything else out there in a 15" slim form factor with those specs for the same money.

11 hours ago, M-Ferioli said:

Did you ever buy anything?  I think I'm settled on a sager from Xoticpc.  Talked to a very friendly guy there today for way longer than I ever expected someone to chat with me for, sounds like they'll be easy to deal with if I have any issues.  The clevo case is not the best looking or probably the best built, but its the best bang for your buck and reliability seems good.  You can also pretty easily change the specs so you don't pay for more than you need/ want.  

I think Razer has the best chassis out there but you can spec a sager to the same performance and probably have less issues with customer service.  Looks like it'll be around $1850 USD, no tax or shipping for i7 8750 / gtx 1070maxQ / 16G ram / 144hz matte display / 256 NVME M.2 pcie primary storage with additional 2.5" drive bay.  I cannot find anything else out there in a 15" slim form factor with those specs for the same money.

I like Clevo's,(Sager is a Clevo) the one in my signature has been run full time 3yrs now, we have an older 9150 running the office. Got the 9150 from Sager, current one from Xotic both were swell to deal with. Xotic was a bit better. I had the 9150 case and screen repaired by Sager after 5 yrs-easy and cheap enough.

Couple of things you might look into: Clevo rarely (as in never) updates the BIOS so despite the fact that they are up-gradeable that limits the ability. HIDevolution sells Clevos with Prima BIOS included which are updated often-only way to get Prema is from a reseller who includes them.

Second- I've seen a bit of discussion about heat issues on at least one of the thinner Clevo models over at Notebookreview.com. You should check out the model your looking at over there. The upcoming line of Clevos supposedly have improved heat management which I'd guess relates primarily to the thinner ones since the big ones are really good at it. The new ones are hitting the streets shortly.

Thanks Mark, your comments on these posts are the only reason I know about these computers.

I'd really like to buy something now which is really annoying since new models are about to come out.  I guess that happens a lot these days.  whatever I get I will have it repasted with better paste and run a laptop cooler under it whenever its stationary.  Interesting about the BIOS, seems that HID is more expensive than exotic for some reason, I'll have to check again.

Base prices are close to identical between the two, might check around Notebookreview.com-often forum members can get a discount at HID. The RTX cards will be available in two weeks. (I got mine a month or two before the 10 series cards were announced and upgrade hasn't been worth it) From what I gather the 20 series cards are a benefit for thinner machines even if there is no great performance boost yet.

FWIW-I've never re-pasted either of the Sagers and don't use a cooler (course it's rarely on my lap:). I have the back propped up about an inch on a small piece of aluminum channel (also makes the keyboard easier as a secondary with my left hand) . It gets put through it's paces, if I'm really going to be pushing I'll run HWMonitor up on one screen-usually the laptop (others are 27QHD and 24 UHD). If it looks to be getting a tad warm (or even if I hear the fans start) I hit  Fn + 1 keys which forces fans to full force (works on all Clevos).

Just tried to make it unhappy -attached screenshot with temps-this is the second to biggest one though-so YMMV :)Temps.thumb.png.3f0b69c3d4ac4a35de53b80fde440f15.png

Thanks Mark, always good to get some real world feedback.

I'm still circling around between MSI and sager, both sales guys at the two customizers like MSI a bit better seemingly for build quality and cooling not necessarily performance.  Clevo appears to get you the performance without style for less and MSI wraps it all in a nicer package.  Now I'm looking at the workstations as well since I don't much care for the gaming look of the GE series.  You have to pay for a quadro card with those, but get a 3 year warranty for no extra cost and 1 year accidental damage coverage which is nice.   Although from reading posts on here it seems like chief might not work as well with the quadro for some reason? 

I'm afraid that I'll be really disappointed with the look and feel and the clevo for the money otherwise I think its a smart move.  Unfortunately I'm really picky and hate cheaply built or looking anything, its a curse...Ha!  

This has been a bit of a rough journey but I've learned a lot so far.

9 hours ago, M-Ferioli said:

Although from reading posts on here it seems like chief might not work as well with the quadro for some reason? 

The issue with Quadro cards is that they are considerable more expensive than an equivalent gaming card and there is no performance gain to be had. CA will work fine but you are paying for features in Quadro cards that CA does not use. Money much better spent somewhere else.

One Upside with the MSI's is the Bios is not 100% locked down ... and they do fix issues if needed.... I had 2 GP series Units last year but returned Both due to USB Issues which MSI tells me now have been fixed with a new Bios and EC Firmware Release.

also had a Clevo/Sager after that from ProStar ( another US Builder/Reseller) , which was returned for a Bad screen but I liked it....unfortunately there was also an issue with the Current Clevo Command Centre Software causing a WHEA Hardware error ever 57 secs or so so I opted for a Refund, not a replacement.

Just been watching the market since.....

You should be able to save money by not going the Workstation/Quadro route though...no advantages in CA

I do like that issues could be resolved with BIOS updates if necessary.  

This will be my main PC for work and personal use so I want to like the case and quality as much as the performance, you know, I want to eat my cake as well.  So a few hundred extra doesn't kill me if it means I'll be happy with the whole package.  So, I like the clean professional design of workstations and not so much gaming oriented cases.  I wish I could get an MSI WS series with a GTX card, that would be my sweet spot I think.

Good to know you were able to get a refund.  Also good to know that Quadro cards are not a detriment, just not an advantage, I can live with that if necessary.  Maybe a quadro helps with third party rendering, I havn't looked into that much yet.

Lenovos are on sale right now, but the best WS only has a P2000 GP which I find interesting, but maybe in true CAD programs those are more than enough.  MSI offers the P3200 but its a more expensive laptop I think.  

If only GPs were swappable in a slim form factor laptop, then this would be soooo much easier!  

I think this has been a good thread so far for all of us that are trying to make this decision, thanks to all for contributing.

Anyone out there have experience with an Origin?

4 hours ago, M-Ferioli said:

Anyone out there have experience with an Origin? 

8 minutes ago, M-Ferioli said:

This might be the best deal for a full GTX 1060 in a nice looking chassis and lots of other good specs

That's a Clevo by another name- said you didn't like the build of Clevos. Link to other brands that are Clevo (though I don't think it's a full list)

https://rspydir.wordpress.com/2016/09/21/clevo-laptops-and-computers/

Have you seen a Clevo IRL? don't understand the complaint unless your are sold shiny. As I mentioned the last round of Clevos are not likley the best for thin but

OTOH

This will be my main PC for work

if this is to be a full time primary machine I'd be thinking differently about size and weight (have a nice Everki Backpack solves it). I showed you the heat from the Sager which I can get to peg at close to 90c with a lot on. The spectre runs hotter with much less power and very little (like hearts) running. Granted that is smaller and super thin but well... just physics.

If I was set on thinner I'd wait a couple of months until the new models all shake out and keep a close eye on those forums over at notebookereview for real world info.

Looks, well mine is all black, nice rubberized coating, when getting this it was between it and an MSI-either was fine. Traveled to NYC to test the MSI in person, already knew what the Clevos were. MSI looked like a spaceship (Dragon I think) but if I liked it better and could get all I wanted in it I'd live with it (duct tape does wonders)Deciding factore was getting t a desktop CPU with no Intel card hence no Optimus (big deal for me with multiple monitors) quality of the two -they were different, I preferred what I bought. Saving $$-maybe but not a whole lot really. Just had more options with some better interior components. HID now has some good component choices in their MSIs that were not available then but only in 15" machines.

As to the Bios (and control center issues) The only thing was it would be difficult to change the video card, though possible. I have not had a single issue with either machine.

Quadro cards-what Graham said +- check https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html to get an idea of what you are giving up in performance/$. FWIW before the Clevos I had Dell Performance machines with Quadros. If you think a Quadro may help with a rendering program then check which ones so you know, I know Lumion and Thea both like gaming cards. Now if I could afford a Quadro RTX6000 then that would be a no brainer :rolleyes:

If only GPs were swappable in a slim form factor laptop

Most of the Clevos, (and Alienware just added some machines) allow swapping cards but with thin and light you need to check first. No matter what can't swap a gaming card for a Quadro in a laptop AFAIK.

well, I realize that I should probably choose something with a thicker case for better cooling and maybe more options but I haven't seen anything that I like in a thicker form factor. 

I'm off the Quardo card, I've looked at benchmarks and such.  Just wish I could get a nice workstation without one.

I'm a bit different than most users I think in that I plan on being able to work from my old VW van while traveling around as well as from home, and occasionally traveling back east by plane.  So I really want a slimmer pc to work even if I run a laptop cooler most of the time for a bit of insurance.  Thats why I'm focused a bit more on the smaller stuff.

I'll call them on Monday about the build.   Looks like it's actually a TONGFANG chassis though.  Another company I'm just learning about...oh gosh! 

I'm sure the clevo chassis is not terrible or even bad really, I find it very plain which is good but both the xoticpc and HID guy didn't have many compliments about the build, even saying to be careful opening the lid and be extra sure not put any pressure on the lid.  I take good acre of my things but that got me a bit worried and to keep looking.  I hate being disappointed after spending money so I'm trying to be thorough.  I may end up back where I started though and get a Sager, who knows.

Sounds Like Origin might have good support like Xotic and HID, plus I'm having a hard time finding really negative things about them.  Not saying I'll buy one but wanted to put them out there for others like me that are just learning about all these different companies.

If I win the lotto I'll buy you that RTX600!  :)

Sorry for basically spilling out my personal research and silly reasoning on here but I figured maybe it'll help me or someone else find what they are looking for, or at least learn about something new.

12 minutes ago, M-Ferioli said:

I'm off the Quardo card, I've looked at benchmarks and such.  Just wish I could get a nice workstation without one.

You didn't dig deep enough on Origin Site then as I was just looking at them in 1060-1070 and 1080 models....NT series....and NS I think

M.