Polyline Solid Subtraction Question

M-Ferioli

Hey guys,

I am trying to subtract one polyline solid from another but I cannot get it to work correctly.  I set one object partially inside another but it always cuts completely through the other object and makes a hole when Im trying to make a recess.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if this is another Interiors limitation.

I select the larger object, select the subtraction icon, and then click on the smaller object to be subtracted.  I then choose delete original and it gives me a hole.  I've tried it upside-down and backwards and I can't figure out whats wrong.

The point was to see what it was like to make custom doors using this method.

I feel like Sketchup would be easier but I don't have the pro version so I don't think I can make any smart doors until we buy that or use something else.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 7.14.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 7.14.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 7.18.55 PM.png

5 minutes ago, M-Ferioli said:

Still not sure why I cannot subtract without getting a hole every time.  I feel like I am missing something and that interiors has the capability to do partial subtraction.

Don't worry you can't do that in Premier either.  It only works with solids.

Maybe I'm confused.  I am trying to subtract one p-line solid from another.  Is that what you mean by solids?  I've seen it done in CA videos, specifically the one where they make a custom cabinet door.  Seems fairly straightforward??  

This is what I'm talking about, starts at about minute 4.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5532/creating-a-custom-cabinet-door.html

of course that is X7 but I figured that functionality would still be the same.

Well, I don't know how I missed that part.  I must be spending too much time trying to learn to many things at once.  I'm glad I reached out here for a fresh look. 

Thanks for being patient with me and pointing out what was right in front of me the whole time!  HAHA!

Is that convert to solid combing the two poly lines into one?  I guess I wasn't aware of the whole solid thing, I was thinking polyline solid was the same thing.

As you can tell I'm still a bit new to this software.

14 minutes ago, M-Ferioli said:

Is that convert to solid combing the two poly lines into one?

No they are still independent after selecting together and converting to solid.  It just changes their properties. They can be combined or subtracted after.

Yes it is a lot to learn so pace yourself.  Watch as many video's as you can take in and practice what you learn.

• 2 months later...

I have been over the videos again and again. I need to make custom legs for Islands, overhangs etc. And can not seem to get the subtraction to work on various poly lines required for the design. An updated training video that would go thru the steps would be great. :)

4 minutes ago, PamelaMellon said:

I have been over the videos again and again. I need to make custom legs for Islands, overhangs etc. And can not seem to get the subtraction to work on various poly lines required for the design. An updated training video that would go thru the steps would be great. :)

It would depend a lot on your specific situation.  The most predictable thing is to convert both to solids before subtracting.  I think polyline solids work if they are both drawn in the same view but that is not always possible when things get a little more complex.

Post some screen shots of the steps you are struggling with or a video and plan file and one of the experts will likely be able to help out.

Thats the problem, for example when creating a shaker style leg with two subtractions on each side, 8 entitle, the subtraction only works on the first, when after which you have converted to main poly to a solid, it seems to reverse the command and subtracts the main object ( leg) the command to "retain original" is not prompted.

UGH!