how come appliance won't behave

rikdekker

How come when I place an appliance it snaps to a different position in camera view. As you can see in the attached images the dishwasher is placed, in this case, as a free standing object between a cabinet and a gable. On the camera it shows snapped to the wall behind. I have tried placing it in a cabinet with the same effect.

When I select the front of the cabinet and assign an appliance I am instructed to resize the cabinet because the appliance is too large (which it isn't. Note: in this case I have resized a library object from 24" to 18" but when I use an 18" Miele colada model I get the same result.

Have tried moving it slightly forward to break the snap but still it wants to show in the wall. If I move it to the proper place in the camera view it displays in front of the cabinets on the plan view.

I have experienced this effect on a number of other plans but have always been it too much of a hurry to figure out exactly what is going wrong. I'm sure one of you has the secret of this behaviour which keeps eluding me.

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.58.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.59.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.00.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.34.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.35.07 AM.png

3 hours ago, rikdekker said:

How come when I place an appliance it snaps to a different position in camera view. As you can see in the attached images the dishwasher is placed, in this case, as a free standing object between a cabinet and a gable. On the camera it shows snapped to the wall behind. I have tried placing it in a cabinet with the same effect.

When I select the front of the cabinet and assign an appliance I am instructed to resize the cabinet because the appliance is too large (which it isn't. Note: in this case I have resized a library object from 24" to 18" but when I use an 18" Miele colada model I get the same result.

Have tried moving it slightly forward to break the snap but still it wants to show in the wall. If I move it to the proper place in the camera view it displays in front of the cabinets on the plan view.

I have experienced this effect on a number of other plans but have always been it too much of a hurry to figure out exactly what is going wrong. I'm sure one of you has the secret of this behaviour which keeps eluding me.

It does appear The Bounding box is on the wrong side of the Symbol .... there are some weird consequences of resizing some Appliances, probably because the stretch Planes aren't set up correctly to do that or at all.

I don't have Miele Dishwashers in my library ? , so not sure where you got that one either....

I assume you know 18" dishwasher won't fit in and 18" cabinet ( 16.5"?) , so the Bounding box is likely the Issue there again. ie. I can see it says 17 5/8 in the Pic so if the Cabinet is 18" you would get the error message as the hole is only 16 1/2  (18" less 2x 3/4" sides)

M.

Edit : it appears that most if not all Chief's Default Dishwashers have their Origins set incorrectly in their Symbols , try with X.Y,Z set at 0".

Some are -4 so below the Floor and others have the depth set at 22" or 23" except Dishwashers unlike a free-standing stove or Fridge are placed flush with the front of the Cabinet , not back against the Wall, and it appears they were created to do this. More info page 963 of the Reference manual.

@Adrean 

Edited by Kbird1
Follow up on Chief symbols

Thanks for your reply's

Indeed, in the symbol specs the origin offset position had defaulted to 22 ½".

I'm glad that is solved.

I'm still curious why I got the same curiosity with an imported colada symbol.

Have had the same experience with built in refrigerators in the past.

Again thanks

Someone has set them per Chief's usual Appliance Origin Specification which is Back,Center,Bottom......but I think they were Created (drawn backwards?) or something originally. This is likely the issue with the imported Miele DW symbol too.

@Alaskan_Son   One of the Symbol Experts like Michael could explain it better but below is the Page from the Ref.Manual as a cheat Sheet.

Symbol Origins_CA-x10-Ref.Man.p964.pdf

In fact Michael is having a Workshop on Monday if you want to learn more about Symbol Manipulation, not sure if he is covering the basics too?.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/20108-advanced-symbol-manipulation-workshop/

Chief Core Dishwashers are off because Chief wants you to place them in a cabinet so a countertop is generated. You should be getting a message box when placing them freestanding-

1900625820_Goesinacabinet.thumb.png.4e8f05dbe7e349dba539d1671f3e1b3b.png

in which case you have to change the origin and update the block.

Mick an 18" DW fits into an 18" space and for whatever reason the Gaggenau 18" DW has a bounding box of 17 5/8 but still goes into an 18" cabinet.

I hate the way Chief does Dishwashers so have my own made from cabinets that -are not included in the cabinet schedule, are blocked to go into the fixture schedule, generate counter tops, and go where I want them. Hack the existing symbols until you have just the door-mess with stretch planes to prevent resizing, add to cabinet...etc. Now you can even make the doors open and if you.

Dishwasher.plan

3 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Chief Core Dishwashers are off because Chief wants you to place them in a cabinet so a countertop is generated. You should be getting a message box when placing them freestanding-

1900625820_Goesinacabinet.thumb.png.4e8f05dbe7e349dba539d1671f3e1b3b.png

in which case you have to change the origin and update the block.

Mick an 18" DW fits into an 18" space and for whatever reason the Gaggenau 18" DW has a bounding box of 17 5/8 but still goes into an 18" cabinet.

I hate the way Chief does Dishwashers so have my own made from cabinets that -are not included in the cabinet schedule, are blocked to go into the fixture schedule, generate counter tops, and go where I want them. Hack the existing symbols until you have just the door-mess with stretch planes to prevent resizing, add to cabinet...etc. Now you can even make the doors open and if you.

Dishwasher.plan

I am no expert on DWs for sure, at one point in time I seem to remember having to allow for the cabinet sides or they wouldn't go in, I am not actually sure if anything changed in X10 ? as I haven't had to play with them except for today, but DWashers have always been a PITA. In the Past there were no 18" ones available , so you had to drop it in the open 1st and resize it , and once you do that it seem you can jam it almost anywhere you want..... but as noted it seems to change the Origin etc doing that.

I looked and I see GE has several 18" ones in there Profile Line now , so perhaps other Manufacturer Library's have them now too .....

M.