having trouble with duplex

ThomasM

Hello All,

by mistake I built the upper floor first and finally found out how to make that floor 2 but now when I build floor 1 I am having a hard time lining it up with the floor above.

any pointers would be great.  both floors are different shapes and size.

thank you

Tom

7 minutes ago, javatom said:

There is a function to "align with below" for the walls.  That would be a start.

what I did was build stairs going up and just build around them lol.  at this point I think I will continue but will also look into what you said.

thank you.

Tom

5 minutes ago, solver said:

What is the problem with alignment? 

i dont know the tech terms but everything was off center.  I think I found an ok way to work around my mistake.  
i am sure there is a better way..  maybe create the lower floor in a new plan and join the two plans.

thank you

2 hours ago, ThomasM said:

i dont know the tech terms but everything was off center.  I think I found an ok way to work around my mistake.  
i am sure there is a better way..  maybe create the lower floor in a new plan and join the two plans.

thank you

One way is to find a common point between the Floors like a Corner, turn on the Reference Layer (F9) ,select everything on one floor and use the Point to Point move tool ( ignore error messages) and use the Corner to move everything selected.....  some Clean Up maybe required afterwards.

Try in a Save As Version of your Plan to Practice 1st.....

M

If you ever make this mistake again, my suggestion would be to start the 1st floor by copying the exterior walls from the 2nd floor, as well as any important walls such as those around stairs.  This will give you all your walls perfectly aligned, and you can change their properties after.

5 hours ago, solver said:

What is the problem with alignment? 

the floor above didnt align with the floor below... terribly off center.
I do advertising for Manhattan real estate and love working with and trying to learn chief architect whenever I get the chance.
my layouts are all done by eye to try and give my customers the best idea of the layout and what they can do to the property.

thank you

Tom

You probably figured out that there is a command to swap floors.

Also,

Walls of different types are aligned by Chief via the align with below or align with above based on the outer surface of the "Main Layer": of the wall. NOT the Outer surface of the Exterior surface. This is regardless of the outer covering or the wall thickness. So if you have stucco as an outer layer it must be the same thickness for both wall types.