Adding Herringbone Tile

jnicbell321

Hello,  

I have a bathroom floor that my client needs me to show them what a 4"x12" herringbone tile pattern in Carrara marble will look like.  

I am using Home Designer Architectural 2019 and, just not sure how to go about this.  I have tried multiple things, read up on it, and watch videos.  Can someone please give me a little direction.

When I upload the photo, I am not sure if it should be of the actual pattern or just the material and the program can add the lines.  I am hoping someone can give me a little more direction on this.

Thanks a ton!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jnicbell321 said:

When I upload the photo, I am not sure if it should be of the actual pattern or just the material and the program can add the lines.  I am hoping someone can give me a little more direction on this.

You need an seamless image ( the Texture in CA talk ) of the 4x12 or 4x16 Herringbone tile to import as a new Material. The hard part will be finding a well lit image to use for the Texture. The Pattern is what is seen in Vector Views Only and can be found in the Material's DBX under Pattern>Pattern Source>Use Material Type and pick Herringbone in the dropdown...assuming you have that in HDA?

as you can see my Herringbone Image isn't that good so you don't get a nice look on something large like a Floor , as you can see the Repeat.

image.thumb.png.8587a3c05bf9d2fe605244e97cb4797a.png   image.thumb.png.2c93957126355fae7f85a30301f39c42.png

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for the response.  I am just trying to determine if the software will even be a good way for the homeowner to see what a 4x12 herringbone tile will look like.  There isn't a way to have the software just put a pattern like that on the floor?  I need to find an image of it, then import it?

4 hours ago, jnicbell321 said:

Thank you so much for the response.  I am just trying to determine if the software will even be a good way for the homeowner to see what a 4x12 herringbone tile will look like.  There isn't a way to have the software just put a pattern like that on the floor?  I need to find an image of it, then import it?

If by Pattern you mean the Black and White lines seen in the Vector Views yes.......  if the Client needs to see it in Carrara Marble , NO...unfortunately you need an Image to use for the Texture. I don't have HDA , so I am not sure if that makes it harder for you to do or not, sorry.

I think you can open my test Plan seen below so here it is....MHD_Herringbone_Carrara_Material Plan.plan

image.thumb.png.a87c75cb466647b1babd23be3995df66.png

33 minutes ago, jnicbell321 said:

Yes, showing just the pattern without the tile pattern would work.  I opened your test plan, how do I go about saving it to use?

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.46.59 PM.png

In Premier I would select the Material eg Wall tile and open it >edit button and layer 1 should be the tile, choose select material on the right , Plan Material on the left, select the Carerra Herringbone on left if needed? and then on the right choose add to Library.

It is also on the Floor so if HDA doesn't allow to select the al tile , in the Room DBX under structure>Floor finish......do as above

However I am not sure what HDA is capable of though , perhaps you need Pro to do the above?

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00924/customizing-a-material.html

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-01202/importing-and-creating-custom-library-materials.html

Maybe HDA can't do it?  here is a short Video made with Jing , Internet explorer should open it, does for me.....

Saving_Materials_from_Plan_to_User_Library.swf

Try these from my Library made in X10 Premier okay for Vector views , I don't have any good Images for Standard Views :

MHD_Herringbone Tile.calibz

@jnicbell321

The real keys to this particular topic are these...

1.  You have to try and figure out what tools are and are not available in your particular version.  In this particular example,  there are some pretty major diffeteveces between the tool available in CA Premier and those available in HD Architectural.   I always strongly recommend that anyone who does this for a living just bite the bullet and upgrade to CA Premiere...or at least Interiors. I think you’ll be glad you did.

2.  You have to understand the crucial difference between TEXTURES and PATTERNS along with which view types they pertain to.  

The texture source files needs to be a seamless image (picture) file.  Pattern files on the other hand are a special vector (CAD line) based file.  I can personally create pretty much any pattern file you can dream up for use in the appropriate views.  In this particular example, I could create as many as half a dozen simple repeating herringbone or offset tile pattens in about 15 minutes (including custom tile sizes AND custom grout widths). More complex custom patterns can take quite a bit longer (don’t think I’ve ever had one take more than an hour) standard tile layout pattern are pretty quick though.  

I charge $80 an hour with a one hour minimum though, so it’s typically most cost effective if you can place an order with several items at once.  Just shoot me an email if you want to discuss further.