How does one make a storefront window?

rockyshepheard

You can easily use a Default Window and then turn off the "Casing" adjust the "Sash" to then emulate the lower fixed window, then copy-paste that one above and resize it taller. Line up the two windows, then "Block" the pair. Be sure that in "Edit - Default Settings - Windows - Minimum Width Settings" is set to "Zero inches", then copy-paste the pairs to get the overall width you need and want, resizing the width as necessary.

DJP

• 3 years later...

Is the Storefront width an actual thickness?  Like, say, 4", 4.5"?  Pretty standard for storefront.  If it is not, then it would be only right to make it so.  In this way any standard width can go in any sized wall thickness.  I've looked at the example in the link and it doesn't appear to be correctly designed for storefront.  This solution is not necessarily correct.  The software really is lacking in it's programming capabilities.  If Chief needs to make something custom then so be it, but that is what needs to be mentioned.  This way we aren't wasting our time with something that is false to the real world and causes problems in detailing and production.  Pretty pictures are great until project deadlines are missed.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, SKnowlde said:

Is the Storefront width an actual thickness?

Did you open the plan to see? Wall type determines the thickness. The one I posted above is just really fast way to do it.

If you want to get extremely accurate with all the details in 3D, instead of just using a CAD detail, I posted a version that is done using the specs from the Seagram's building some time ago. The other search is for "curtain wall"

Here is link to the Seagrams look alike facade along with some other ideas.

image.thumb.png.a4700b5283033de7762ecde9f1e0773b.png

59076a6c7a663_Curtainwall.PNG.d355cabf5dcb07cb67f0e4b39cf494d0.PNG

So if I have a CMU and want the thickness of the door to be a width of 4.5".  How would one accomplish this?  I am thinking that I would break the  wall and have a smaller width wall with a wall above the CMU.

Edited by SKnowlde
misspelling

10 hours ago, SKnowlde said:

So if I have a CMU and want the thickness of the door to be a width of 4.5".  How would one accomplish this?

How depends on the condition and your not giving much to go on.

(Note that what I said earlier about being controlled by the wall depends on a lot s not exactly accurate-it was for the plan that was posted where you asked) Follows plan with possible start just using default doors with adjustment in the DBX. Doors are going to be trickier than windows. Just takes some fiddling around. One on right is in a pony wall with lower section of wall thinner, right is just in a CMU wall. image.thumb.png.17fd6405356e9a263953e6a8a9fad757.png

door in CMU.zip

• Upvote 1