Plan View in Watercolor Mode?

WhistlerBuilder

Hi Chiefers,

Quick question. Is it possible to display plan view in the watercolor mode? So far I can only get watercolor to apply to the 3D views that chief generates.

I have a sample of what I am talking about generated with Sketchup imported dwg from a chief file.

Chief normal version = Sample 1, sketchup watercolor = sample 2

Sample 1.jpg

sample 2.jpg

29 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Orthographic Floor Overview...

3D>View Direction>Top View...

Watercolor with Line Drawing rendering mode

Easy peasy rice and cheesy

Actually, as stated above this is not what I am looking for. The 3D perspective changes what is displayed, and I am specifically looking for plan view, not a 3D perspective. The results are very different, especially on large floorplans.

34 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Not with Michael's suggestion. Follow his instructions and try it. It is an "orthographic" view.

Once again it is close, but it is still displaying a 3D drawing from the top down. It cannot seem to display doors properly which can be VERY CONFUSING for clients.

See sample from Sketchup 1278265672_sample2.thumb.jpg.e9846996735563423eb564af8d2eb690.jpg

Vs Ortho - top down from Chief.1956409703_ZoomWatercolorSample.thumb.jpg.a258ca8ccf22647e86bade9b3a3b523e.jpg

Also, clicking every door and telling it to display as open in 3D still does not show it properly....

Sorry,  your original posts didn't really specify all that much criteria.  You have to get creative by using a few extra material regions, p-line solids, and adjusting your layer settings to get a lot closer...

897626291_pic1.thumb.jpg.75c9a62b3e178f318c8b488a003955fb.jpg2088824151_pic1.thumb.jpg.9df44a28b502672aadf640f32111e079.jpg

Or you can create a symbol of your plan, rotate it onto it's side, and take a section view.  Adding the splashes of color that way requires some extra effort though.  Seems like it would be just as easy to keep using Sketchup if you really need that exact look.

The answer, as you have found, is no.

There are a couple different options to get close....but no can do with a plan view. 

I keep hoping though. That option, along with an actual stair tool and a few other things are why I am still using X8. Not going to upgrade until I get what I want.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

Once again it is close, but it is still displaying a 3D drawing from the top down. It cannot seem to display doors properly which can be VERY CONFUSING for clients.

See sample from Sketchup 1278265672_sample2.thumb.jpg.e9846996735563423eb564af8d2eb690.jpg

Vs Ortho - top down from Chief.1956409703_ZoomWatercolorSample.thumb.jpg.a258ca8ccf22647e86bade9b3a3b523e.jpg

Also, clicking every door and telling it to display as open in 3D still does not show it properly....

You don't have to click every door individually if that is what you are saying.

Use Match Properties>Is Drawn Closed In 3D to narrow down your selection.

Then you can use the cross section slider to drop the cutting plane so that it goes through the doors. 

• Upvote 2

One problem may be that it doesn't show door swings or any other cad items.

This is a copy of your earlier plan without any fitout, all 3D objects would display when added, but no cad.

So maybe you can't get exactly what you are after, but maybe you can get close.

New Image_156.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

Hi Chiefers,

Quick question. Is it possible to display plan view in the watercolor mode? So far I can only get watercolor to apply to the 3D views that chief generates.

I have a sample of what I am talking about generated with Sketchup imported dwg from a chief file.

Chief normal version = Sample 1, sketchup watercolor = sample 2

Sample 1.jpg

sample 2.jpg

And you can use the watercolor technique with line drawing on top

Chief-color-floor-plan-rendering.jpg