Materials and Patterns

stager386

I am stumped!  I have this tile floor I need to display.  I had to do so many workarounds to create the border and the tiles themselves. Now I am being asked to add a pattern onto the tile.  I have spent a lot of time creating work-arounds and feel like I am chasing my tail.  I took the tile and patterns and created a material. But I ended up piecing  it together for the right spacing and it looks awful.  Any ideas? Attached are layouts and materials. Thanks!

Bathroomtile.zip

flower design.jpg

tiles.jpg

If you're trying to add a hexagonal Pattern to the Material:

tilehex.thumb.JPG.e28353656287bb00a804a02b1de261c5.JPG

Or maybe I misunderstand. Are the darker-colored hexagons important? Remember that Pattern and Material mean specific things in Chief, so you have to very clear exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

See if this helps.

- I created a Hexagon pattern as a polyline solid, it's blocked. You will see it on the bathroom floor.

- I assigned the proper pattern file to the main floor, scaled it and adjusted the offsets to align with the texture.

- I adjusted the texture a bit as it was not symmetrical.

I have placed a camera directly overhead, just use this in either standard or vector view. Copy paste my block and move to where you want it and align with the texture/pattern on the main floor.

Bathroomtile_Abode.zip

2 hours ago, rlackore said:

If you're trying to add a hexagonal Pattern to the Material:

tilehex.thumb.JPG.e28353656287bb00a804a02b1de261c5.JPG

Or maybe I misunderstand. Are the darker-colored hexagons important? Remember that Pattern and Material mean specific things in Chief, so you have to very clear exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Hi and thank you. Yes the flower detail needs to be in there, with a pattern repeat that resembles the hack marks on the drawing. I ended up creating the flower detail with the polyline tool and then had to place them carefully.  See attached.  I still think there must be a better way.  

18inRepeat.jpg

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

See if this helps.

- I created a Hexagon pattern as a polyline solid, it's blocked. You will see it on the bathroom floor.

- I assigned the proper pattern file to the main floor, scaled it and adjusted the offsets to align with the texture.

I have placed a camera directly overhead, just use this in either standard or vector view. Copy paste my block and move to where you want it and align with the texture/pattern on the main floor.

Bathroomtile_Abode.zip

Nicely done.....

Use the Multiple Array Copy Tool to place  , eg  I used 12" x12" centers but with the real measurement it should work fairly easily

Capture22.thumb.JPG.c6e17ca3c56fddcf5ebc49d52a2bb86e.JPG

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

See if this helps.

Bathroomtile_Abode.zip

Thank you so much! Before seeing your reply I too, created a polyline solid. But I am going to look over what you did, as it sounds like you went further with the texture and alignment.  Thank you . I will get back to you when I can look at it today.

7 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Thank you so much! Before seeing your reply I too, created a polyline solid. But I am going to look over what you did, as it sounds like you went further with the texture and alignment.  Thank you . I will get back to you when I can look at it today.

One thing to consider in a tile layout like this is that the tiler is likely going to cuss at you. Getting everything to balance out between the main tile, boarder and flower insert will be challenging, especially if the tiler has to remove the white hexagons and replace them with the darker ones. $$$

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

One thing to consider in a tile layout like this is that the tiler is likely going to cuss at you. Getting everything to balance out between the main tile, boarder and flower insert will be challenging, especially if the tiler has to remove the white hexagons and replace them with the darker ones. $$$

Not likely, definitely :) , well if you use my Guy anyway.... Layout and dryfit will be critical.... and add cost.

M.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Not likely, definitely :) , well if you use my Guy anyway.... Layout and dryfit will be critical.... and add cost.

M.

One thing I am not sure of, and that is the pattern repeat in the tile file attached to this thread.  The client (another interior designer) is creating this floor for his client.......So I am not intimately involved.  If it's all being done by hand, tile by tile, the repeat can be whatever we want.  The file attached in this thread has the tile in a sheet, with the accent already laid within. I do know the hex tiles are 2".  But it looks like the repeat in the file you sent, will cause the accent flower to be cut off in certain places.

2 minutes ago, stager386 said:

One thing I am not sure of, and that is the pattern repeat in the tile file attached to this thread.  The client (another interior designer) is creating this floor for his client.......So I am not intimately involved.  If it's all being done by hand, tile by tile, the repeat can be whatever we want.  The file attached in this thread has the tile in a sheet, with the accent already laid within. I do know the hex tiles are 2".  But it looks like the repeat in the file you sent, will cause the accent flower to be cut off in certain places.

The Picture was just a quick multiple copy array as mentioned, and I just used 12" x12" as the sheets are usually that size , for a quick " lets see how this works" scenario, I did not try to align them with the Body tile at all.

To do that , Take a Wall Elevation view and apply a material region to it using the same material from the Floor in the Plan Material list , (Kacy white hex), the Wall elevation is needed as you can not dimension in 3D Camera views, zoom in and use the tape measure tool or a Point to point dimension or CAD lines with a dim between to measure the Tile Pattern in the plan precisely, as normally the sheets are not 12"x12" really they are often Metric size or undersized to allow for grout lines etc.

image.thumb.png.5dfb42ce67c301a3fa041e5feba3e7c1.png

Do you have to show this in a floor plan, or a render/ray trace? Maybe it would be better to simply use a note, something like "coordinate tile layout with interior designer". How critical is it that you show the exact placement of the flowers?

51 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Do you have to show this in a floor plan, or a render/ray trace? Maybe it would be better to simply us a note, something like "coordinate tile layout with interior designer". How critical is it that you show the exact placement of the flowers?

My client (the designer) needs to show his client what it will look like. So he wanted to get as realistic a visual as possible.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

The Picture was just a quick multiple copy array as mentioned, and I just used 12" x12" as the sheets are usually that size , for a quick " lets see how this works" scenario, I did not try to align them with the Body tile at all.

To do that , Take a Wall Elevation view and apply a material region to it using the same material from the Floor in the Plan Material list , (Kacy white hex), the Wall elevation is needed as you can not dimension in 3D Camera views, zoom in and use the tape measure tool or a Point to point dimension or CAD lines with a dim between to measure the Tile Pattern in the plan precisely, as normally the sheets are not 12"x12" really they are often Metric size or undersized to allow for grout lines etc.

image.thumb.png.5dfb42ce67c301a3fa041e5feba3e7c1.png

Got it, thanks!

If using my plan, an exact repeat of the flower may not work out exactly according to the pattern/texture. I adjusted these but they may need to be tweaked just a bit more to get their centers exact. The problem is that when adjusting textures and patterns CA will only accept 1/16" increments, as such their can be a small amount of drift as the pattern is replicated over a considerable distance.

I usually mock the layout up as close as possible and then add in notes to guide the tiler when on-site, or better still I go in and lay it out for them.

A few quick tips on this subject...

-An orthographic floor overview along with CAD Detail from view can be a very handy way of getting relevant snaps or for producing tile layout documents. 

-Solids can be used to display material patterns in plan views.

-To deal with "drifting" during multiple copy operations, try changing your number style to decimal inches OR place a temporary marker at the destination end and use a specified number of copies instead of an offset.