Extra post in railing wall?

Larry_Sweeney

I built a screened porch onto a remodel and on one of the walls, with a door, I have extra post. I have another wall on the same porch with a door (one size larger) and the specs. for both walls are exactly the same (as far as I can figure anyway), but I don't have a problem with "extra post". I know (or think I know) the problem is coming from the walls not connecting correctly at corner "A", but I don't know what's causing the connection problem. It looks like it's connected correctly in plan view, but when you do a camera vector view at the beam area you can tell it's not connecting correctly. Can anyone figure this out? I'm running out of hair.

post-76-0-58987000-1393788047_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-23829700-1393788383_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-28526500-1393788407_thumb.jpg

LANDIS FINAL.zip

My background is in film. "Good enough for camera" is the battle cry. I tend to not fix things but hack them. The quick solution based on my wall tweaking was to make that deck room definition a balcony. See attached for my hack. I could not get that railing wall you had intersecting to work no matter what I tried. Keep in mind, I took a really good shot with a baseball to my head yesterday so I may be just typing with my elbows and singing Katy Perry songs....

Landis NEW hack.zip

post-170-0-75746900-1393790864_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-58160200-1393790877_thumb.jpg

JJohnson, on 02 Mar 2014 - 3:09 PM, said:

As far as the extra post is concerned open the DBX for that wall and increase the post spacing to be more than the length from the corner to the door and the unwanted post should not be there.

JJohnson.....Yes I tried that also. I tried all different spacing lengths. The only time it changed was when I made the spacing distance less than the length from the corner to the door. Then I had even more post.

Alan...If you do an elevation to the model so you can highlight the wall in question, notice the little "leg" of the wall that drops down at corner "A".  I don't know what is causing it and there seems to be no way of raising it.

Alan.... Yes your way "down & dirty" does work to a point. Why it does has me baffled. There's no way to extend the deck so it overhangs the trim boards, but you solution does eliminate the post. I'm not giving up yet, because there is a "correct" solution. It just depends on how "correct" i want to be.  :) Thanks for your time---much appreciated.

Open this one. I think it is fixed but I am not sure I can reproduce it.

1. I left my old hack in place

2. I broke the wall where the problem is at about the stair top.

3. I changed the wall type to have newels with 0" thickness

4. the wall broke but then I selected the door side wall and changed the newels back. (it fixed correctly)

5. I got rid of the extra invisible wall in front of the door

6. I changed the room back to a deck

LANDIS HACK 2.zip

Larry,

The extra posts are being generated by the wall at the top of the stairs.

You have a wall there with a full width door opening.

The post closest to the door is being generated by the wall at the top of the stairs and I think this is also forcing the extra post in the corner.

Try deleting the door opening in the wall at the top of the stairs and make it an invisible wall instead - that should work.

Alan...Impressive! Many thanks and your time is much appreciated. Are you keeping your feet dry? All we're hearing back east here is how bad the rains are out there. Have a great day.

Glenn.......Yes, you are correct about the wall, but of course you knew that. I built the deck first, so I needed to have a wall there for the "room" to close so it would become a deck. I added the stairs after and where I attached the stairs to the deck the stairs made a "door" opening. This is the correct procedure so far---right? I knew there was a "door" in a wall at that spot, but I thought it had to be there. When I read your thread I went and deleted the wall at the top of the steps and the post problem went away. I don't quite understand how I can delete the wall and still have a "deck" room (it goes against my reasoning for what's worth), but thank you for taking the time. I've learned something here, but I still don't quite understand it. Have a great day.

Larry,

You will still need a wall at the top of the stairs to define the landing room.

Easiest way is this:

First, uncheck Automatic Rail Openings for the stair and delete the door opening from the wall at the top of the stairs..

Select the horizontal railing wall  (the one with the door in it) and use the Reverse Layers tool on the Edit toolbar - I should have suggested this as the first solution.

This will fix up the post problems.

Select the wall at the top of the stairs and make it invisible.

Plan attached..   

Perry...I've done that before, but what looks good in plan view doesn't work so well in elevations. There is all sorts of ways to "cheat" to make it look right in a particular view. It's getting it right in all views was what I was after. I'm sure we are all after that concept. It's TIME that gets in our way. I was sure I was doing something wrong and was trying to figure the "right way" to do it so the next time I wouldn't lose so many hairs on my head. Have a great day.