drawing furniture

MN_JohnH

Is there a video out there that shows how to draw more elaborately detailed items like furniture etc? I find instructions on poly lines and moldings but what if I wanted to start from scratch and draw a bed or a special table. What if I want to design a piece of furniture? I am used to using Turbocad and so far i think I might need to go back to that in order to draw these types of things but I can't help but think I am missing something here. I even tried to explode a table from the library so I can try and modify it but the explode symbol is not an option when I pull blocks out of the library. Is there a video or tutorial on this sort of thing? What if I wanted to try and draw the picture attached? I don't need to be anywhere near that detailed but what if I did want that? Could I do it in Chief or would I need to move to another program entirely for that?

furniture question.jpg

You can probably hire somebody in China or India to model that for less money than the software would cost. There was a time when our office farmed out architectural renderings and custom modeling to overseas firms - they do decent work, they're reasonably priced, and the turn-around is super-quick.

• Upvote 1

Just for the record, it might not be the most efficient tool for every job, but I actually use Chief for 99% of my custom modeling needs.  in addition to the ability to model almost anything from scratch, you can also use Chief to modify existing geometry in quite a few ways.  I've modeled or modified quite a few things in Chief over the years, but I think this particular one might be my favorite.  Done completely from scratch...

The example pic used...

1128972548_Examplepic.thumb.jpg.d5dbe494504f08d6b2908073941a70a9.jpg

The resulting model...

Plan.thumb.jpg.22a13a065c81b17bd22e6d3952a49504.jpgRender.thumb.jpg.f06d7c3eae6f7563c281a310a6253dd3.jpgVector.thumb.jpg.0ef3aa3077a9e1707ff3faa0a6961c3e.jpg

For anyone who wants to learn a few of the lesser know tricks and techniques for modeling and manipulating symbols, check out this thread...

• Upvote 3

Man, that's some amazing stuff there Michael.

I'm trying to get my head around those chains

and how they would be modeled. Every link

appears to be in a different orientation or

degree of rotation from the adjacent links.

No signs of repetition. Very nicely done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just for the record, it might not be the most efficient tool for every job, but I actually use Chief for 99% of my custom modeling needs.  in addition to the ability to model almost anything from scratch, you can also use Chief to modify existing geometry in quite a few ways.  I've modeled or modified quite a few things in Chief over the years, but I think this particular one might be my favorite.  Done completely from scratch...

The example pic used...

1128972548_Examplepic.thumb.jpg.d5dbe494504f08d6b2908073941a70a9.jpg

The resulting model...

Plan.thumb.jpg.22a13a065c81b17bd22e6d3952a49504.jpgRender.thumb.jpg.f06d7c3eae6f7563c281a310a6253dd3.jpgVector.thumb.jpg.0ef3aa3077a9e1707ff3faa0a6961c3e.jpg

For anyone who wants to learn a few of the lesser know tricks and techniques for modeling and manipulating symbols, check out this thread...

Yes!!

Well I managed to draw what I need, at least in a crude fashion. Now it doesn't let me create a block with it to add to library... What am I missing there?

And why are some symbols or blocks, when I pull them out of the library, explodable and some are not?

9 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Man, that's some amazing stuff there Michael.

I'm trying to get my head around those chains

and how they would be modeled. Every link

appears to be in a different orientation or

degree of rotation from the adjacent links.

No signs of repetition. Very nicely done.

Thanks Rich.  Chains actually weren't too difficult.  I won't go into all the little details, but here are the steps in short...

1. Model a single link
  2. Figure out how far link needs to be offset to make contact in the next link position
  3. Use transform replicate along with that offset and a rotation angle (a little off 90 degrees)
  4. Convert that section to a Symbol
  5. Rotate chain section into position
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

I managed to draw a rough outline of the piece of furniture I need to place. This will get me close enough for the design.

What is the trick to getting this to be an architectural block that I can put in the library?

Vanities.plan

There is a CAD line in there, that's preventing you from turning it into an Architectural Bock. In plan view it's centered and running the depth of the unit, just remove it and you should be good to go.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

There is a CAD line in there, that's preventing you from turning it into an Architectural Bock. In plan view it's centered and running the depth of the unit, just remove it and you should be good to go.

Wow. thanks!

One more question, on the attached drawing, how do I get it so on the plan view it just shows the lines that are showing? I don't want to see the legs through the top on the floor plan. I exploded it and brought the sinks to the front and that worked OK but I can't get the top to come to the front or the legs to go to the back...

Thanks again for all the help with this.

Vanities.plan

43 minutes ago, MN_JohnH said:

One more question, on the attached drawing, how do I get it so on the plan view it just shows the lines that are showing? I don't want to see the legs through the top on the floor plan. I exploded it and brought the sinks to the front and that worked OK but I can't get the top to come to the front or the legs to go to the back...

Thanks again for all the help with this.

Vanities.plan

As they are the same type of object I don't think they can be moved within their drawing group, even if they are moving there is no solid fill to obscure them. There may be another way but if you open up the Leg Shape, go to Line Style and change the Color to "White" it will give you the effect want.

12 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

Converting the top to a symbol doesn't seem to be an option but changing the lines to white works... seems like there should be a better way but maybe that's how it is done.

Works for now. Thanks,

If you want to convert the counter top shape into a symbol you need to copy that shape into a new blank plan, open up a camera view and then select Tools, Symbol, Convert. it will save it to your library and then you can drop it into you main plan and position it.

The one thing is that these things should only be done once you are completely satisfied with the unit as they are a one way street, if you need to alter things you can't convert them back to their original polyline solid that can be edited. For example I noticed that some of the counter top protrudes into the sinks bowl region, at some point you will likey want to clean that up.