VIDEO LESSON: Front Porch with Columns

SNestor

I was recently drawing a house with a front porch that used columns and in the process I learned a bit about railing walls and how quirky things can be...so, thought I'd put a video together to show one method of creating a porch that works and looks good.  

Let me know what you think...comments more than welcome.  I'm not sure the method I'm showing is the best way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, solver said:

What's the reason for using a countertop over a molding polyline? The molding could be simply to fill in the gap, or larger creating the look of a thickened edge slab.

ct1.thumb.jpg.77caacf263e367b110c0fbce3b951191.jpg

You also mentioned making the beam 8", but I don't think it matters as you are using the foundation offset to move it out.

The wall thickness and beam thickness need to match mostly for the roof so the frieze builds in the correct spot.

Have you experimented with using a doorway to control column position? Here I used a doorway to get a full column on the left.

ct2.thumb.jpg.9f8044e790db299a7c2ba831bd724dc8.jpg

Eric makes some good points...as always.  Made a quick video to respond.  You may have to click on settings to see this video in a higher definition...not sure why.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rpadge said:

Awesome job with the videos, those are quite helpful, thanks for taking the time to create and share.

Thanks much!  Glad it was helpful.  You never know when doing something like this if it really helps...so I appreciate the feedback.

• 5 weeks later...

To: Steve Nestor

Your video on porch design is excellent and very helpful! 

I'm now working on a sun-porch with post to beam rail-type.  I want to extend the porch posts down through the framed deck-floor platform to the sloping terrain below, without having to draw solid poly-lines below each auto-generated post above.  I replicate the same type railing wall on the "foundation" below, except make it post to ceilingballoon through ceiling and have no floor or footings, It would be nice if I could grab each individual post and pull the bottom up to the desired elevation in relationship to the grade with a footing under it.  If you know a better way, let us know.

Attached image shows experimental porch structure in fore-ground using methods above. What I'm working on is in background.

Thank you very much,

Steve Brown  

PORCH PROTOTYPE.jpg