Description of supplied templates

Randino

When I choose new from template, I see lots of templates, e.g. American Casual.plan, American CasualM.plan. Is there a description of the various settings in test templates? How do I choose? I presume the M indicates metric. Other than that I'm at a loss.............

Hi, it sounds like you are using one of the Home Designer Titles?  so it would be best to ask on HomeTalk not Chief Talk , as they would know whatever version of the Software you have. Same Username/password over there as here......

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/?_fromLogin=1

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in, especially with the Software Version, and of course a real Name is nice too :) ..............
See mine below in Blue for how to do that.

If you don't see my Signature below then you have them turned off for the Forum, so you need to Toggle it on by going to the Upper RH Corner of this Forum Window ^^^^ and Clicking on your Username and making sure Signature is enabled (green) and then Add your Own Sig. too :

UserName> Account > Signatures

M.

Most People with Premier build there Own template from the Default one ie Residental Template.plan and save their own Styles or use old Plans saved as Templates for different styles they usually work on. None will be perfect , there are just too many Defaults to cover.

Your question may still be best answered on HomeTalk as they have no choice but to use one of the pre-define Styles or a Default blank Template and my guess is they could answer the question much more easily as they tend to start with one of the Pre-defined Styles.

M.

13 minutes ago, Randino said:

So, the default windows and doors will match that style?  what else is include? If I'm doing a 20"s bungalow what do i choose. If I was doing a 70's ugly track home what would I chose.

You will need to:

• Review each Template's Defaults to familiarize yourself with what they are

Then when you start a Project:

• Modify a Template to suit your desired Defaults and "Save As" with a name of your choice
  • Use any Template that's close and simply modify the Plan Defaults when you start a new Project.

IMO none of the supplied Templates have a perfect set of defaults - but in some cases one of them will be close to what I want.  I then start with that Template and make adjustments to the Defaults.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

Mick,

Why are you suggesting the OP do this?  He has indicated he's using Chief Architect Premier X10 so this is the correct Forum.

Because Home Designer Titles come with these Templates and by Default you must Choose one to Start a new Drawing, I don't believe that has changed since I used HD Pro before upgrading to Premier, 8-10 years ago.

And I have never actually seen anyone using Premier ask about them or Use these templates , so I assume from my own use that HD User will have more knowledge of them and there uses...

42 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I have never actually seen anyone using Premier ask about them or Use these templates

Interesting,  I have never used the HD products but I have all of those Templates which must have come with at least one prior version.  I do occasionally use one of them as a starting place but I also have my own Templates.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Interesting,  I have never used the HD products but I have all of those Templates which must have come with at least one prior version.  I do occasionally use one of them as a starting place but I also have my own Templates.

In the HD Titles, Stairs Railings for example are limited by the Template selected ( or used to be ) so you had to be careful starting a Template as you couldn't change stuff 1/2 way through like in Premier.

45 minutes ago, Randino said:

Kbird, so since no one who use premier asks this question I must be to stupid to us it

Joe thank you for your help. Your answer was concise and to the point.

Not necessarily at all , especially if you are new to CA and have yet to Develop any Templates of your Own , they definitely are not "fleshed-out" templates and will need alot of Changes and the big difference in Premier is there is no limitations as to what changes you can make. But there is no Template for Tract house or Contemporary or Victorian etc , you just have to be vigilante to save Plans as Templates and slowly create your Own "Styles" as you go.

The KnowledgeBase has a few Articles to get you started on maintaining and Creating your Own , but I do suggest making a copy of the OOB Templates to another Folder as a backup, just in case)  

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/category/271/templates.html

18 minutes ago, glennw said:

And don't forget that you can use "Import Default Settings" where you get a choice (from a list of all the defaults) of exactly what defaults you want to import from any other plan or template.

Not all the Defaults from my last try, things like Framing and Materials are not imported, not sure if that was a Version Issue or not though.

M.

I thought someone previously posted McMansion template. It is really good.

It creates disproportional masses, puts different windows styles on the front of the house, makes sure that there are NO clear lines of symmetry, help select different elements from different architectures, ensures at least 4 or more different siding types, and sets massive columns to support 1x6 ridge beam.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

I thought someone previously posted McMansion template. It is really good.

It creates disproportional masses, puts different windows styles on the front of the house, makes sure that there are NO clear lines of symmetry, help select different elements from different architectures, ensures at least 4 or more different siding types, and sets massive columns to support 1x6 ridge beam.   

Love it!!!