Guardrail Connection Details ?

I have a project where a steel Guardrail is to be attached at one end to a concrete block pilaster and at the other end to a stud wall.  There are no intermediate Newels or Posts.
I haven't been able to find any standard details for such connections and the plan checker is being a PITA.

Does anyone have details to meet the 200 lb load requirements for these conditions - preferably with supporting calcs ?

Well, shear should be no problem for 2ea 1/2" bolts ea end.

I assume you have a flat plate bolted to the adjoining materials.

The issue is calculating pullout. Pull the middle of a cable attached at its ends & stress gets a bit high.

Still epoxy set bolts have a high pull out in filled masonry.

Wood is another matter. May need a bolt & washer on that end.

Looking at the FDOT 862 railings the railing is attached at the bottom into concrete which is a greater stress.

I'll look tomorrow to see if I have anything you could use.

The Railing Guy I spoke to recently said they make the plate twice the size of the railing , ie for 2.5" it was a 5" sq plate with 4 holes , he was using 3" Stainless 5/16 Lags and Washers...... not that that really helps you but you could likely find the Specs on the Lag Screws.

OSHA has one I came across , not sure if it helps ......

osha-guardrail-details.pdf

And Hilti has lots of info in there Concrete Anchors Technical Bulletins including some info On CMU Blocks. They might even be worth a Call Monday?

Hilti Conc_Anchors_2.pdf

Hilti_Conc_Anchors Technical.pdf

*** Forgot to add the AWC has a Connector Calculator here :

https://www.awc.org/codes-standards/calculators-software/connectioncalc

M

Found this https://www.cedengineering.com/userfiles/Design of Com-Ind Guardrail Sys for Fall Protection….pdf

The math is a bit over my head though.

But if the top rail is stiff that would reduce the tension on the connections.

I'm referring to 200#  applied to the top rail outward which will flex the top rail & put tension on the connections.

The tables for the connectors show the shear capacities but the tension loads will need to be calculated.  One way around the tension problem is to put a slip connection in the design.