Change Roof Material on Automatic Roof Return

ESCAuser

I want to create a full roof return on a gable wall with a different roof material (Standing Seam Metal) than the main roof (Asphalt Shingles).  I've tried both the Automatic and manual roof return with undesired results.  Using the automatic roof return apparently locks the return roof material to the main roof and using the manual roof return allows a different material, but doesn't line up properly at the fascia eave corners and won't allow attachment to the gable wall framing, only the stone veneer, so there's a gap between the soffit and the wall .

I'm new to CA, so I'm sure there is a way to accomplish what I attempting, just can't seem to locate any direction.

Thanks in advance,

ESCAuser

Fulll Roof Return.jpg

• 1 month later...

John:

You are correct - Chief won't allow you to change the materials of an auto-built full return on the front of your building.  There might be a couple of ways to accomplish what you need done:

1.  Use a pony wall for your main level garage front wall type.

2.  Use a materials region to put the brick on the garage front wall (below the roof return).

I have not tried #2 but #1 does work.

Make a copy of your brick wall type ... give it a name ... then delete the brick and opening layers (insulation air gap).  This new wall type will be the upper (pony) wall of your garage's front wall.  The lower wall type will be your brick wall type.  You WILL have to manually build your Full Return roof on the front of the garage to get the different roofing material.  For the pony wall, you'll have to check to see how high the lower wall (brick) needs to be to get under your full return roof.  Make sure your upper full return roof edge extends to your attic gable wall siding material edge; also make sure your full roof return ends are 45'd to the corners of your side roof planes .... and you should be good to go.

Roof1FullOV.JPG

Roof2XSec.JPG

Roof3Plan.JPG

On 10/25/2018 at 3:46 PM, ESCAuser said:

using the manual roof return allows a different material, but....won't allow attachment to the gable wall framing, only the stone veneer, so there's a gap between the soffit and the wall .

Open the roof plane and check No Special Snapping

• Upvote 1

Thanks Guys for the advice. I was finally able to work out the problems with the Manual Roof Return intersections, but that created a problem closing the corner intersections with the soffit, so I just lived with it for now.  Found a number of problems for the Architect to correct on the original drawings, so when I get the final corrected drawings, maybe I'll revisit it.  It's been awhile since I finished the drawing, but if memory serves me correct, I changed the wall type to a wall with just sheathing, drew the full return, then changed it back to the stone veneered wall.  If anyone has any insight into the soffit problem, I'm all ears.

Thanks Again,

John

Full Roof Return Rev'd.jpg

How about this technique?

1. Copy house to new file.

2. In new file, delete all that will not delete the shingles of which you are trying to modify the material.

3. Export as 3DS.

4. Go to original file.

5. Import the 3DS file.

6. Open the object and change the material to what you wish.

6. Explode it.

7. Accurately move the pieces you wish in place of the pieces which are not the material you want.

export import explode replace.jpg

22 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Michael:

Didn't know about that setting.

How about the roofing materials ... is there anyway to change those from the regular roofing material for an auto full return?

You can use a second overlapped roof plane to allow for 2 different materials, but that has some challenges of it's own.  Best just to use a manually drawn return IMO, uncheck no special snapping, and make sure the return is actually shaped appropriately (to alleviate the gap in the soffit).