Cannot Ray Trace on Mac... looking for help

acquavella

Hello! I'm using X7 Interiors as I specialize in kitchen and bath.  I recently bought a new iMac (specs below) hoping that Chief Architect would work better as it would suddenly quit with errors when I was running it on my 2013 MacBook Pro.  The random quitting still occurs (which is annoying, but that's not my question here); however, ray trace which, ironically, worked on my 2013 MacBook Pro will not even start on my 2017 iMac.  I receive the following error:

/Users/autobuild/p4sync/dev/releases/17/chief/source/raytrace.cpp(619): Error #272032202

"Unable to open ray tracing engine - ray tracing disabled for this session."

10/24/2018 10:49:20 PM

Build: 17.3.2.2OSX

I've already tried their suggestions... I made a simple plan and it still came up with the error.  Then I checked for updates in both Chief Architect and my system and they are up-to-date.

I plan on upgrading in December to the newest Chief Architect assuming these problems will go away... but I'm scared that they won't.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chief Architect Interiors X7

Build: 17.3.2.2OSX

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)

3.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Video: Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB

1 hour ago, acquavella said:

I've already tried their suggestions... I made a simple plan and it still came up with the error.  Then I checked for updates in both Chief Architect and my system and they are up-to-date.

I plan on upgrading in December to the newest Chief Architect assuming these problems will go away... but I'm scared that they won't.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm not a MAC guy, hopefully one will chime in. You say you tried their suggestions-what? Check the ray trace setting in Preferences? I have 8 cores and set it to use 7 in case there is anything else running. 3D lighting, adjust lighting? turn off extra lights not in the view? Ray Trace Options- start out with photon mapping off, caustics off. Change the window size to something smaller and start with a low resolution to see if it runs at all? Can you monitor the heat of your CPU? Are the fans coming on when the RT starts? Those are the things I know.

As to X10-  RT uses the CPU so you should be get similar results once you work out the settings. X10 is more efficient about the number of lights in standard renderings and that may also be so in RT, not sure.

OTOH many of us  have moved from Ray Trace to Physically Based Rendering (PBR) It's faster (up in 11 seconds on my machine, and updates close to live). I find it better and easier especially for interiors. Thing is that PBR doesn't use much CPU power. It mostly uses the GPU (RT doesn't use that at all from what I can tell)  Your video card benches a good bit under the one I'm using which I find OK but should still manage. I run it on my little Spectre on just an integrated GPU that is a good bit below what you have; it is a bit laggy and certainly kicks up the heat. I'm hoping to bump up to a new machine in about a year to take care of the future. I don't know if you can upgrade the GPU on an iMac. Alternatively I don't know if you can use an eternal GPU on your machine and they get pricey.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark for the information.  I tried the official Chief Architect tips for troubleshooting that error.  I created a plan with just four walls and a cabinet and the error still occurred which meant it was not plan specific.  Then I checked for updates and all my updates are there.

I took your advice and looked at the Preferences.  I tried random combinations there with no luck :(.  Since ray trace worked on my older (and seemingly less powerful) laptop, I'm not sure if there's a system plug-in or conflict on my new computer.

Hoping that someone who has had this problem and fixed it will see this message :)

Thanks KitchenAbode, I tried reinstalling CA, but the method they listed only included deleting the application.  Once I reinstalled, I noticed that my settings were still there which tells me that there are CA-related files in different places on my computer.  I wish there was a way to know where all the files (libraries etc) are so I can delete everything.  After just reinstalling the main application, it was still giving me the error.  :(

To completely uninstall an application on a MAC (which is sounds like you need to do), I use CLEANMYMAC. Not only does it delete the application itself, it also removes all of the 

supporting program files too---and yes, they are all over the place in the hard drive.

Hope this might help.

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to know where all the files (libraries etc) are so I can delete everything.  After just reinstalling the main application, it was still giving me the error.

You can find out where all your Chief files are by going to

Preferences...General...Folders...All Program Paths...Show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 1:54 PM, Seafield said:

To completely uninstall an application on a MAC (which is sounds like you need to do), I use CLEANMYMAC. Not only does it delete the application itself, it also removes all of the 

supporting program files too---and yes, they are all over the place in the hard drive.

Hope this might help.

I've had the same problem when I did a data migration from my MacBook Pro. I then decided to start fresh on my iMac and I did a fresh install of all of the softwares. I then followed CA website directions on how to retrieve settings and everything else. It solved the problem with RT. I hope this helps

• Like 1

I agree with others than the problem is in the application or application support files.  With my new Mac Pro, I did a fresh install of CA, then I imported my old User Library. Then I moved  Templates from the old drive to the new computer.  I did not Migrate any applications from the old computer, they all were installed fresh.  Use David's advice, trash the CA app, run "cleanmymac" and install CA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all!  CleanMyMac didn't fix the problem, so I went ahead and did a fresh wipe and install of my MacOS (High Sierra)... and when I downloaded my Chief Architect, I didn't realize that I was entitled to an upgrade, so I went from X7 to X8.

Totally worked, thank you!

FYI -- I never listened to advice about "cleaning house" on my Mac, but from now on, I will do a fresh install every so often.  :)