Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

They are really not crappy we just call them crappy b/ it only took us 3 min to ray-trace and look pretty good, don't need any outside program. And if I want to put them here so be it, it's not your thread. Are you afraid you might lose some business b/c Chief getting is so good.

Here you go. No ray trace. Need to kick this out and go to sleep type of image. This did go out of CA and into PShop to clean up some issues. Heck, I think I overwrote the original so I can't show the little bits I had to clean up but it was not much. This is just above the mark to keep it out of the Crap thread (I hope).

post-170-0-28364700-1475344289_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the comments - but so you guys know, there are features in Photoshop that let you record your process so you bring an image in and run the sequence you already setup - so it takes a couple min. to apply to any new image.  Granted, it may take a few hrs to setup.

The effect above it now such that I can quickly implement it from Chief.  Lumion has the same photoshop like filters (and save-ability) and that is something I am experimenting with in all this too.

I've done some nice renderings just using Chief, but I was specifically looking for something that looks like traditional media.

Here you go. No ray trace. Need to kick this out and go to sleep type of image. This did go out of CA and into PShop to clean up some issues. Heck, I think I overwrote the original so I can't show the little bits I had to clean up but it was not much. This is just above the mark to keep it out of the Crap thread (I hope).

I really like that - nice!

Johnny,

It's only my humble opinion, but I reckon that image would look 100% better if it contained a couple of people and a car.

Just to give it a human scale.

Like this?

...and so everyone knows Glenn helped me with the terrain on this model. Thanks Glenn!

post-75-0-69107700-1475438416_thumb.png

Like this?

...and so everyone knows Glenn helped me with the terrain on this model. Thanks Glenn!

I like it since it reflects more of how the home may actually look when complete. I would not want a render better than that, then be disappointed. Since this is in Q&A, if you wanted to provide a roof over that deck between gable ends what would be the best easiest approach, and what tools in CA? I'm thinking veranda but what if the client wants a covered deck that did not leak rain water.

I like it since it reflects more of how the home may actually look when complete. I would not want a render better than that, then be disappointed. Since this is in Q&A, if you wanted to provide a roof over that deck between gable ends what would be the best easiest approach, and what tools in CA? I'm thinking veranda but what if the client wants a covered deck that did not leak rain water.

The main body of the roof can be extended over to include a large portion of that upper terrace - thereby raising the main roof ridge line. However, in this plan the lower covered area is directly off the family room so there is a covered outdoor area for the plan.

In the NW light is a great concern, which is why I even provided a small clerestory dormer over the terrace doors. My main point to the post was the render technique...the design was just a place-holder.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally love Chief, sure the raytraces sometimes can take a few hours for 100 passes, not to mention if the materials are all imported and created by me (makes the full plan quite big and slows it down)...but sometimes if I want to add some quick realism I dip into a simple free program, and add a bit realism, a few examples will be included.

​Any tips are always welcome; some clients are really picky and want almost a picture perfect image as if it was real...others realize that this is enough and know that the final result once its all built will beat all expectations.

post-4006-0-97825300-1476979786_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-57756100-1476979793_thumb.png

post-4006-0-09825500-1476979802_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-55180800-1476979808_thumb.png

post-4006-0-12088800-1476979819_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-22102300-1476979827_thumb.png

post-4006-0-86068300-1476979837_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-07390000-1476979846_thumb.png

I personally love Chief, sure the raytraces sometimes can take a few hours for 100 passes, not to mention if the materials are all imported and created by me (makes the full plan quite big and slows it down)...but sometimes if I want to add some quick realism I dip into a simple free program, and add a bit realism, a few examples will be included.

​Any tips are always welcome; some clients are really picky and want almost a picture perfect image as if it was real...others realize that this is enough and know that the final result once its all built will beat all expectations.

I do not want to be a jerk,  but I think we both know those are not very good ray traces.  I think you would be better off using renders or water colors or ?  

However,  you have provided some good stuff for improvements.  I wish I knew how or someone else had the time, and would be willing to teach us what you are doing wrong.  Something is just not working.  I know I can do better raytraces but it is by heck and by golly.  I am far from an expert at raytraces.

If you want,  post your plan and see if someone is willing to spend a few minutes doing a ray trace that is better than what you have done..... I do not think you are far off from a decent ray trace. ​ BTW,  100 passes is a lot of passes,  I would not be surprised if you could get a much better ray trace in less than 15 passes if you knew what your were doing.

No offense intended.

Scott,

Bad day? He/She WAS proud of the renderings...

I think it's more interior decorating taste that is unique rather than the renderings themselves.

No,  not a bad day at all,  I think he/she was looking for some guidance,  I was trying to figure out how we could get he/she some guidance and some guidance for the rest of us.

I do not think it is an interior decorating taste that is the issue,  I think it is the lighting or something that I am too ignorant to understand.

I suppose I was not being politically correct.  I apologize.