Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

Convincing SS, I like it.

Thanks....still working on it.  I'll copy over the settings next time I am in there.   It is at the point where it still needs a little tweaking, but i'll see what you can do with it.

I noticed your last rendering of the entryway in luminon.   Looked really good.   I was going to suggest a touch of 'volumetric sunlight'.  I have noticed at lower levels, it really improves my floor reflections.  (shows off your bump maps really well).

May not be pretty, but it can be useful for modeling many structural details. This along with pretty pictures is where things are headed IMO.

This is a 3D PDF file of a complete framing model, less the roof overbuilt area. I may get to that latter if time allows.

There are many rough edges as far as the modeling goes, but hopefully you can see the potential of this type of model export.

If nothing shows on your screen, then allow the file to be read and click on the screen and wait till it loads the model. Layer control is off to the left by using the check boxes.

X8 Hou D 3D PDF.PDF

Rod, I like the concept of 3D/2D but it's not where things will go with this industry, it will go the other way around 2D/3D nor will there be an increasing demand for 2D or 3D images. I discussed this at length in another thread, it will go where aircraft, auto, power sports, etc, has already been for about 10-15 years now, paperless. Drawing's will slowly go away so will 2D paper. It has already started in bigger building firms, Model Based Definition (MBD) or DMU (Digital Mock-Up Units) will dominate. I've done many models over the past two decades, all the 2D views are on 3D planes stored in camera views with auto layer sets. The renders, ray tracing, videos will happen there, so will the very few needed annotations and dimensions. Big industry will use less paper to save big on cost and need less drafter/designers and/or their roles will change. The design will become more accurate due to concurrent engineering that saves companies big bucks. It has already happen and proven itself in other industries. The new Boeing Dreamliner is practically paperless. The building industry and CA has an output file called STL that will feed 3D printers like paperless Fused Depostion Modeling (FDM) (old Rapid Prototype) that are now production capable and growing rapidly as a part of this effort and other CADCAM, etc, being used to build homes and for production manufacturing today in the building industry. CA was smart to add this export now they just need a GBxml. 

There is going to be more focus on High Def 3D, HD video. More will compete with Luminon. CA, others, will be forced into BIMs to stay a float, more integrated 3D modeling rendering in the near future. BIMs will be the life cycle depository and interface for large design-build efforts that will work it's way down the home level. 

Here is a video showing product design but the same can occur for whole building's and is with BIMS: You can see the 2D definition in 3D. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvS3E5IGBFg

I'm very good with life cycle BIMS/E-BOMS(ML's)/CATIA. I'd show some goodies but they are from other industries :)

Some will disagree, or not want to hear it but, it makes sense from a cost saving's perspective even for the small business to minimize paper and package the entire design_build effort into one 3D/BIMS model. No more sending anything to layout or other video, HVAC, etc, programs. It is just a matter of time. Who knows maybe by then some smart guy will figure out a way to manage society's expectations, and mine :)

Jintu, your website is outstanding and you do excellent work, as well as others on this thread. My background is mainly aircraft design where we have similar rendering capability especially in cockpits and occupied cabins but, I was never part of that interior sales group. It makes me wonder about this "digital art" I'll call it and how clients react when they see gorgeous digital art and then it does not appear to be what they were lead to believe when the building is complete?

Reminds me of where TV monitors have taken us to a point it's not real anymore, looks like a PC game in resolution, even the acting is mostly computers. The movie theaters have become a digital fantasy, then reality hits. How much further can or will we take it? 

Seems to me designers are putting so much time into pretty pics/vids that should go into a store front art gallery and/or be sold as many are. That to me is what this has become, art, like old school hand paintings but PC based. Please don't get me wrong, I respect the talent. In my mind, as much as I would like to gain the skill set if did not take too much time, but, the more I think about it I'd much rather be a part of bettering the way we build buildings especially in America where there is much room for improvements. I guess everyone does what they enjoy. I just hope people don't believe that the best building designers are the ones with the best digital art. 

Jintu, I think you have done a great job at keeping most of what is on your site real looking. I had a hard time telling the difference but I'm not a trained eye. 

Nice work everyone, very interesting thread.  

What you are mentioning here is often the disconnect when a client who takes the project out of the hands of the designer/architect following the initial design/permit phase and ends up getting a snow-job from the lowest bidding contractor that decides he/she will place their specifications overlay to the plans/design.

Yep, happens a lot - but not to smart clients.

• Upvote 1

BTW, the modeling was done mostly in CA, but the export to the 3D PDF file format was not produced from Chief. I do appreciate your point of view, but I do not agree with the premise that engineered drawings on work planes in dedicated systems will be the norm.

Take for example the 3D PDF file that I posted, depending on the application used to create the file, dimensions and text can be placed in the model space and it can orient itself to face the camera. 2D views can be printed from the model and sent out to any device that can read a 2D PDF file.

The point I am trying to make is that both detailed modeling as well as high quality renderings are available from the same model. It is just a matter of what type of program one chooses to use to meet those needs.

Edit:

Here is a pic of a work in progress. This is a Chief model rendered in Octane Render in under 2 min with no post processing. That way you get to see that at this point at least my model needs some more work.

I for one really like the special lighting effects that others are posting. But, for now at least I am after speed and realism.

post-228-0-42092800-1451960794_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

jon

Could you provide a bit more detail of the stairs. I get that you are trying to set up an attractive scene, and you have succeeded. It is just that accurate modeling right down to shop drawing as well as high quality rendering is something that I am very interested in at the moment.

Custom stairs in particular are what I am working on, but it could be anything else that could possibly benefit from the processes.

Thanks jon.

Here is a pic of a Chief stair model that has had some work done in another program and then brought back into Chief as a symbol and rendered as a technical illustration.

The goal is to have a fully customized and technically accurate stair model that can be rendered for arch viz purposes. So far my render times from Octane for stair models are coming in under 10 sec. This model should also be capable of being used to produce fully detailed shop drawings if req'd.

I think this is at least in part what Terry is pointing out as a drawback to artistic renderings alone, if they are not actually buildable or able to convey the necessary information to build them correctly.

IMNSHO that ain't necessarily so.

post-228-0-98046000-1451971281_thumb.jpg

Back to the topic...  

Nice work B.A.!

Here's an interior shot modeled and RT in CAX7.  Post using Topaz & Alien Skin filters in Photoshop CC 2015.

jon

Many nice things going on in this shot Jon and I know

you are not necessarily looking for a critique.... but to

my eye, that little swatch of bright green in the carpet

in the foreground is a distraction. It seems out of place

with all of the nice warm tones going on.

Thanks jon.

Here is a pic of a Chief stair model that has had some work done in another program and then brought back into Chief as a symbol and rendered as a technical illustration.

The goal is to have a fully customized and technically accurate stair model that can be rendered for arch viz purposes. So far my render times from Octane for stair models are coming in under 10 sec. This model should also be capable of being used to produce fully detailed shop drawings if req'd.

I think this is at least in part what Terry is pointing out as a drawback to artistic renderings alone, if they are not actually buildable or able to convey the necessary information to build them correctly.

IMNSHO that ain't necessarily so.

Rod, for the record I was not saying there are any drawbacks to pretty pics and video, they are a good sales tool to be kept in perspective IMO. 

Another way to "show your goodies" is technical publications which is the path you are on and I think you are doing a great job and getting away from defining everything in 2D drawing's. In most industry that follow ISO standards like ANSI Y14.5 isometric views are for ref only not dimensions(BTW: Part of BIMS is utilizing ANSI YF14.5) .They usually aid is helping put orthogonal 2D views into perspective on drawings and aide in making sense of verbiage in tech documents as tech illustrations. In my experience, I have seen alot of skew or non-true dimensions in ISO views. If you are careful the path to filtered 3D PDFs or tech illustrations may very well be a "goodie" I can appreciate but those without the shop or trades experience may not. What Johnney commented on applies here but I do not agree that drawing conformity or QA should be placed in the hands of clients, the Architect should share in the "Design_Build" and gain more build experience to aide in design. In alot of industry these days you can not get a design seat unless you have been a trade, and you are held accountable that your designs can be built cost effectively. 

What I was referring to BIMS or MBDS IS another VERY valueable "GOODIE" I do not have to show yet. The ones that pioneer this in this industry will make a fortune. I'll be back :)

Anyway Rod keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more of your tech goodies, pretty or not.  BTW: I used Arobat Reader, W10 default media player did not work. 

Terry

Sorry if I miss stated your intentions.

Try adobe's Acrobat Reader DC, that is the one that I am using now.

As for BIM, interop, output, model accuracy, 3D PDF and anything else that one might consider to be a goodie, that has not been the focus of this particular thread to date, as has been mentioned. I was aware of that, I was just trying to answer what I thought was a question you were posing regarding some of the potential drawbacks to artistic rendering.

Please do share your settings, I also need to improve mine. I tried putting in volumetric sunlight effect with that scene but scrapped it as I thought it did not look good.

Here are a few more trying to tweek the stainless.   This is getting closer....maybe just a little too much gloss.

I have been looking at real stainless and am surprised at how reflective it actually is.  I think I have good texture settings and scale. (or at least a lot better)

I attached my stainless texture.   The one I have had the best luck with is the one I labeled "stainless good 3".  You can try others though.

Firstassign a material to something then click on the "wrench" in the upper right hand corner of the black box from the material definition.   Click edit and load, and add this texture file.  Let me know if you come up with any good ones you would like to share!

stainless good 2.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a little vignette I composed to use in an upcoming project.

It turned out so well I thought I would share it with you. For some

reason I like to title my images. I call this one “The Empty Chair”. B) 

Kong%20RT-10_zps45w38m8q.png