Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

Some of you have already seen this, but I don't think I've shared my latest modeling/rendering project here on Chieftalk yet.  This is a townhome development and clubhouse for a builder in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.  This was modeled in X7 from the builders plans and landscape/site plan, and rendered in Thea.

Revised-Clubhouse-FINAL---smaller.jpg

Some of you have already seen this, but I don't think I've shared my latest modeling/rendering project here on Chieftalk yet.  This is a townhome development and clubhouse for a builder in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.  This was modeled in X7 from the builders plans and landscape/site plan, and rendered in Thea.

Revised-Clubhouse-FINAL---smaller.jpg

Good stuff...... Do you miss practicing doctor hood or are you having too much fun? Remember when you changed careers?

Very nice and I can see you put a lot of work into the landscape (which to me is what really takes renderings to the level they need to be to approach realistic).   If I could offer my bit of constructive criticism on something I often struggle with myself, I would say go with a different shingle texture. (or different bump map).   The shingles look homogeneous and are flat enough that you can begin to see the repeat in the pattern.

For bump maps, I used crazybump for a while, but I actually found a free web based software that works just as nice.   It has helped me generate some of the best bump maps I have ever used.  It takes some trial and error, but it is easy to use.  

Best thing I have found is to export a .dae file for a project and it will put all your project texture files in one folder.   From there you can easily drag the ones you want to create bump maps.  Works very nice and I can bang out bumps for a scene in only a few minutes.  Here is the link....

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Good stuff...... Do you miss practicing doctor hood or are you having too much fun? Remember when you changed careers?

I do indeed remember, Scott.  I started my rendering business part-time in 2007, and then left my full-time job as associate provost at the University of Rochester in 2011 to do this full-time!  Quite a life change, and not one I'm likely to forget any time soon.  I still love what I do and don't miss being a shrink or a university administrator one bit.  Well, maybe the money.  Just a little bit.  But it's worth it not to have to deal with alarm clocks or endless committee meetings or prima donna faculty members any more.  ;-)

If I could offer my bit of constructive criticism on something I often struggle with myself, I would say go with a different shingle texture. (or different bump map).   The shingles look homogeneous and are flat enough that you can begin to see the repeat in the pattern.

Justin, thanks for the advice.  I'm not crazy about this roof material, but it's what the client wanted.  It's not shingles, but clay roof tiles (flat, not barrel).  A bump map definitely could have helped it out a bit, not sure why I didn't think to do that.  

Modeled with Chief.  Exported to SketchUp.  Rendered in SketchUp with Thea's Plugin.

I think I'll rerun in Thea to get a higher resolution...I think these last few will be put on a billboard at the jobsite.

JK,  did you also Raytrace in CA and if so, would you post the CA Raytrace to compare?

BTW,  very very nicely done.

I really like the background,  I assume that was an actual picture that you put in the picture.  Really nice.